Pelagic Computer software (Aeris , Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, Tusa, Aqua Lung etc.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rygar

Contributor
Reaction score
Pelagic Pressure Systems has had long history of developing decompression algorithms for safe diving. The principal designer of these algorithms is Dr. John E. Lewis, who has been with Pelagic for over 34 years. He is one of very few people in the world that have the knowledge to develop the algorithms that are used in dive computers.

Dr. Lewis earned his Ph.D. in Aeronautics and Applied Mathematics from the California Institute of Technology. He has been influential in the dive community, as the principal author of “The Recreational Diver’s Guide to Decompression Theory, Dive Tables, and Dive Computers” and as a member of the Underwater Hyperbaric Medical Society.

Dr. Lewis wrote the proprietary Pelagic Z+ (PZ+) algorithm employed in computers. The PZ+ algorithm is based on the Bühlmann ZHL-16C algorithm and is a favored recreational algorithm for the safety conscious diver.

Pelagic Pressure Systems
::

Aqua Lung - i300, i450T, i550, i750T
Aqualung has ended their relationship with Suunto and are now introducing their new computer line by Pelagic Pressure Systems.
* Aqua Lung recently bought Pelagic Pressure Systems

Aeris - Atmos 2, Atmos AI, Elite, XR-2, Epic, Elite T3, Manta, Compumask, F10, Atmos AI 2, A300 AI, A300, A300 CS, F11

Genesis - ReactPro, ReactPro White

Hollis - DG02, DG03

Oceanic - Versa Pro, Pro Plus 2, VT Pro, Veo 200, Veo 250, Veo 180, Atom 1.0, VT3, Atom 2.0, Geo, Datamask, OC1, Veo 1.0, Veo 2.0, Veo 3.0, Pro Plus 2.1, Geo 2.0, VT4, Atom 3.0, OCS, VT 4.1, Atom 3.1, Pro Plus 3, OCi, VTX

Sherwood - Wisdom, Insight, Wisdom 2, Insight 2, Wisdom 3, Amphos

Tusa - Element II, Zen, Zen Air

Several brands of dive computers, including Aeris, Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, Tusa, and others are collectively known as Pelagic Systems dive computers. Aeris, Genesis, Oceanic, and Sherwood all sell their download cables separately from the dive computer. It has a USB port on one end, and a connector specific to your dive computer on the other. You will need to find the correct cable for your dive computer.
The connection between the cable and the dive computer is the "weakest link" for these computers. It's very easy to not have a proper connection, meaning that data does not transfer and the download fails. If you are having trouble downloading your dive computer, this is the first place you should check. Remember that some models can have the connector to the dive computer itself plug in upside-down! If it’s not working, double check this connection.
If you have a 3rd party cable to download your Pelagic computer, you must also have a kernel device driver from them for that cable, which provides a serial port for applications to use it.

Last edited:
Do you know which algorithm, Pelagic DSAT or Pelagic Z+, is used in Veo 180 please?
It is too liberal as compare with Uwatec Aladin.

Do you know which algorithm, Pelagic DSAT or Pelagic Z+, is used in Veo 180 please?
It is too liberal as compare with Uwatec Aladin.

It use Pelagic DSAT.
You can find info in manual specyfication section:
http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/media/wysiwyg/manuals/12-2621-r03.pdf

From Oceanic website:

Choose Pelagic DSAT for liberal recreational diving. The Pelagic DSAT Algorithm safely maximises dive time for repetitive, multi-level recreational diving. This algorithm relies on the human Doppler studies used to develop PADI’s Recreational Dive Planner (RDP), and has been the basis of our Dive Computers and other manufacturer’s computer algorithms for many years.

If you want to add a little conservatism to the algorithm you can also adjust the Tissue-Loading Bar Graph Alarm and Conservative Factor Setting within the computer to reduce bottom time but increase safety

Choose Pelagic Z+ for a conservative approach to recreational diving or maximised bottom time for deeper dives and decompression diving. When applied to standard recreational diving, the Pelagic Z+ Algorithm increases the conservative factor of the dive computer by 15-20% but when doing deep and decompression diving the Pelagic Z+ algorithm offers a liberal bottom time. The Pelagic Z+ uses the Buhlmann ZHL-16C database, which was conducted to meet the more rigorous demands of repetitive, cold-water decompression diving at altitude. The Pelagic Z+ mode maximises dive times at depth without penalties.

Thank you very much p.71.

For those divers who prefer long ndl, this algorithm(Pelagic DSAT) should be high on the list.

i
Pelagic Pressure Systems has had long history of developing decompression algorithms for safe diving. The principal designer of these algorithms is Dr. John E. Lewis, who has been with Pelagic for over 34 years. He is one of very few people in the world that have the knowledge to develop the algorithms that are used in dive computers.

Dr. Lewis earned his Ph.D. in Aeronautics and Applied Mathematics from the California Institute of Technology. He has been influential in the dive community, as the principal author of “The Recreational Diver’s Guide to Decompression Theory, Dive Tables, and Dive Computers” and as a member of the Underwater Hyperbaric Medical Society.

Dr. Lewis wrote the proprietary Pelagic Z+ (PZ+) algorithm employed in computers. The PZ+ algorithm is based on the Bühlmann ZHL-16C algorithm and is a favored recreational algorithm for the safety conscious diver.

Pelagic Pressure Systems
::

Aqua Lung - i300, i450T, i550, i750T
Aqualung has ended their relationship with Suunto and are now introducing their new computer line by Pelagic Pressure Systems.
* Aqua Lung recently bought Pelagic Pressure Systems

Aeris - Atmos 2, Atmos AI, Elite, XR-2, Epic, Elite T3, Manta, Compumask, F10, Atmos AI 2, A300 AI, A300, A300 CS, F11

Genesis - ReactPro, ReactPro White

Hollis - DG02, DG03

Oceanic - Versa Pro, Pro Plus 2, VT Pro, Veo 200, Veo 250, Veo 180, Atom 1.0, VT3, Atom 2.0, Geo, Datamask, OC1, Veo 1.0, Veo 2.0, Veo 3.0, Pro Plus 2.1, Geo 2.0, VT4, Atom 3.0, OCS, VT 4.1, Atom 3.1, Pro Plus 3, OCi, VTX

Sherwood - Wisdom, Insight, Wisdom 2, Insight 2, Wisdom 3, Amphos

Tusa - Element II, Zen, Zen Air

Several brands of dive computers, including Aeris, Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, Tusa, and others are collectively known as Pelagic Systems dive computers. Aeris, Genesis, Oceanic, and Sherwood all sell their download cables separately from the dive computer. It has a USB port on one end, and a connector specific to your dive computer on the other. You will need to find the correct cable for your dive computer.
The connection between the cable and the dive computer is the "weakest link" for these computers. It's very easy to not have a proper connection, meaning that data does not transfer and the download fails. If you are having trouble downloading your dive computer, this is the first place you should check. Remember that some models can have the connector to the dive computer itself plug in upside-down! If it’s not working, double check this connection.
If you have a 3rd party cable to download your Pelagic computer, you must also have a kernel device driver from them for that cable, which provides a serial port for applications to use it.
i want to buy oceanic data mask. did u have ones?

Can anyone comment on the differences between the Pelagic DSAT algorithm (Spencer/Powell) used in the Oceanic for liberal recreational diving and the Pelagic DSAT/modified Haldanean (Wisdom 3) algorithm used by Sherwood in the Atmos? My dive master is telling me that the Oceanic is "best", as in reasonably liberal. The Atmos version is said to be "similar" but if its different, how so? More/less liberal?

Also - anyone have experience with reliability of the Atmos? I've seen some reports to the effect there are bugs, etc.

Can anyone comment on the differences between the Pelagic DSAT algorithm (Spencer/Powell) used in the Oceanic for liberal recreational diving and the Pelagic DSAT/modified Haldanean (Wisdom 3) algorithm used by Sherwood in the Atmos? My dive master is telling me that the Oceanic is "best", as in reasonably liberal. The Atmos version is said to be "similar" but if its different, how so? More/less liberal?

Also - anyone have experience with reliability of the Atmos? I've seen some reports to the effect there are bugs, etc.

Hi Tutixo,

Oceanic, Aeris (before it was merged into Oceanic) and Sherwood computers, are all manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems (previously owned by American Underwater Products, parent of Oceanic/Aeris, now owned by Aqua Lung). The DSAT decompression algorithm in Oceanic, Aeris, and Sherwood computers is identical. So, any computer running the DSAT algorithm will have the same NDLs. I think maybe you mixed up your computers a little, it's the Sherwood Wisdom 3 and the Aeris Atmos. Maybe you meant the Sherwood Amphos, that's a hoseless AI wrist computer. It runs DSAT also.

I have no experience with the Aeris Atmos, if that was the computer you meant, but dived hosed AI Oceanic computers for about 10 years (Pro Plus, Pro Plus 2). These were very good computers, no complaints. My wife and daughter still dive Pro Plus 2s and love them. I switched to a hoseless AI wrist computer in 2010, a VT3. The Aeris Atmos is no longer made by Oceanic/Aeris. Interestingly, Aqua Lung has a new line of computers made by Pelagic Pressure Systems, all of them are directly based on Oceanic/Aeris computers but do not run the DSAT decompression algorithm. They only run the more conservative PZ+ decompression algorithm, a moderately conservative proprietary version of Buhlmann ZHL-16C. The Aqua Lung i550 is based on the Aeris Atmos. Oceanic computers are all dual algorithm and you have your choice of running DSAT or PZ+

I have had no experience with Sherwood computers, either the Wisdom 3 or the Amphos.

Hope this information is helpful to you. Good diving,

Craig

Craig

First, I did indeed mix up the Aeris Atmos (which I used to own, before it broke) and the Sherwood Amphos, which I'm planning to buy. Your comments were very helpful, and I do understand that Pelagic makes both Oceanic/Aeris and Sherwood computers. But on a separate thread on this board an executive at Sherwood described the Amphos thusly: "The computer is made by Pelagic Pressure Systems and although it is similar to some of the ones made by Pelagic for Oceanic or Aeris the Shwerwood Amphos it is based on our famous Wisdom 3 platform." In short, he says "similar" but he doesn't seem to be saying identical. I've seen specs on the Oceanic algorithm that describe it as Pelagic DSAT "Spencer/Powell" whereas the Sherwood states it is Pelagic DSAT "Modified Haldanean". I really have no idea if there is or isn't an appreciable difference. My dive master puts it this way: you need a computer that will let you dive 50-55 minutes at 50 feet.

I've seen specs on the Oceanic algorithm that describe it as Pelagic DSAT "Spencer/Powell" whereas the Sherwood states it is Pelagic DSAT "Modified Haldanean". I really have no idea if there is or isn't an appreciable difference. My dive master puts it this way: you need a computer that will let you dive 50-55 minutes at 50 feet.
DSAT is DSAT...I suspect they are identical, and identical to the PADI tables.50-55 minutes at 50 ft is no great stretch, even for the really conservative computers. (Added: DSAT/air gives 80 mins at 50 ft, Suunto/air gives 70 minutes.) The real differences do not occur on the first dive anyway, but on any repetitive dives. Try using a Suunto with a fast ascent and a short surface interval, and see what it tells you for the second dive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom