Aqua Lung i330R and Apeks DSX, all in the family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aqua Lung acquired Apeks in 1997. Aqua Lung acquired Pelagic Pressure Systems from American Underwater Products in 2015 and released their new line of computers beginning in 2016. based on the PPS platform.

The Aqua Lung i330R marked a significant change in their line of computers. All of their previous computers have run the PZ+ decompression algorithm, inherited with PPS. PZ+ is a moderate, middle to the road deco algorithm in the spectrum of conservative to liberal. I'm not sure I have ever heard why DSAT was not available to Aqua Lung in the PPS acquisition, perhaps it belonged to the Oceanic franchise.

The i330R runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with 3 presets GFs, 90/90, 35/80, and 30/70. There is no custom GF. They call this collection of Buhlmann presets the "Sport Version". The i330R uses the DiveLog+ download app.

Along comes the Apeks technical computer, the DSX. It runs the Buhlmann Sport Version as well as custom GFs. It also runs the DiveLog+ app. It is AI, the transmitters, of course, are PPS MH8A. They are branded as Apeks, have an Aqua Lung label with the serial number on it.

So, Aqua Lung has a relatively basic computer and a technical computer running Buhlmann rather than PZ+. The basic is branded Aqua Lung, whereas the technical is branded Apeks. This reminds me of when AUP decided to market a technical computer, the TX-1, under the Hollis brand rather than under the Oceanic/Aeris brands. I hope it works out better for Aqua Lung/Apeks. On the other hand, nice seeing more computers running Buhlmann.

Along comes the Apeks technical computer, the DSX. It runs the Buhlmann Sport Version as well as custom GFs. It also runs the DiveLog+ app. It is AI, the transmitters, of course, are PPS MH8A. They are branded as Apeks, have an Aqua Lung label with the serial number on it.

Is this a new computer in the Apeks line now?

1671232247715.png
1671232270738.png

The i330R runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with 3 presets GFs, 90/90, 35/80, and 30/70.
The 90/90 GF makes no sense to me. I get that that the Buhlmann Sport version is aimed at recreational divers, and that the GFLo doesn’t come into the picture for NDL dives. Even so, why use 90/90? If the first number doesn’t matter for most dives, wouldn’t it be better to set it to something that would be more useful for those dives requiring a stop?
On the other hand, nice seeing more computers running Buhlmann.
Agreed. Having more computers running Buhlmann sounds like a good thing. More opportunity for different computers to agree with each other.

Big price difference between the two. If I were spending that kind of money for the Apeks, I would prefer a Shearwater. Just my opinion

Big price difference between the two. If I were spending that kind of money for the Apeks, I would prefer a Shearwater. Just my opinion
Yes, the i330R is non-AI, 3 gas computer running Buhlmann presets. It goes for $399.

The DSX is an advanced technical AI computer. It goes for $1299, not including one or more transmitters. It appears from the website that the Apeks transmitter may list for $450. I would imagine any MH8A compliant transmitter would work.

Between their Aqua Lung and Apeks brands, perhaps Aqua Lung will expand the line of computers running Buhlmann. While I'm waiting for my AI Peregrine, Aqua Lung could release an AI i330R with custom GFs :). I'm also waiting to see what the Scubapro Luna 2.0 AI looks like.

I was looking at the i330R before I got my Peregrine. When I looked around for info on them, most of the articles that came up were about the recalls. That was enough to make me lose interest. Seemed like a great computer with a great display, but the recalls made me nervous.

If I remember correctly, there were only two recalls. The first was at the very beginning when the dive computer started leaking. The second recall was something everyone could fix themselves with a firmware update.

So, I see the Apeks DSX is now available at scuba.com, probably other places too Apeks DSX Technical Wrist Computer

The DSX, with the O2 module (no cell), goes for $1399. A transmitter will cost you another $395, $1794 total.

That gives the Garmin Descent MK2i with transmitter ($1850) a run for the most expensive. A Teric with transmitter is $1565, a Perdix 2 with transmitter is $1475, all a pretty penny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom