Octopus Regulator Necklace Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This contraption was a freebie with some second hand gear I purchased....how best is this used and should I consider using it? Seems there are better ways to maintain the Octo.

Thoughts appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Promate-Octopus-Regulator-Necklace-Holder/dp/B00376XM22
This is for a secondary regulator which an out of gas diver is expected to take. They work but can be a pain as the regulator may fall out and dangle. They can be a bit fiddly to put back in when wearing gloves.

It is entirely different to the tied or cable tied bungee in the next post. That is to hold a backup regulator for a primary donating diver. It is very tight on the regulator and if an OOG diver attempted to take it they would risk losing the mouth piece. In that scenario the diver with the gas donates his primary (the one in his mouth) to the diver without gas and then switches to this secondary (the one held by the bungee round his neck).

Storing a conventional octopus is a never very satisfactory. Fortunately octopus holders are cheap and so you can try them out until you find the least worst one.

In a minute a load of people will be along to tell you to get a long hose and donate the primary. The only question is whether they tell you to get a backplate and wing first or not :)

I use one pretty much just like it. Works fine. I strongly prefer the octo around the neck....but then I'm a primary donor on long hose.

I agree with Dr. Mike that a home-made bungee necklace is much better. I tried the silicone necklace and found that the reg often pulled out. Also, when I put it in my mouth, the large silicone tube pushes against my lips. My home-made bungee necklace is more secure and comfortable when breathing off the reg.

I've been using 1/8" bungee for my backup reg for around sixteen years and have never had it come loose. I didn't do the fancy loop version though. I tied knots in the ends of a length of bungee and zip-tied it to the mouthpiece. Oh, and get a backplate/wing. :)

This is for a secondary regulator which an out of gas diver is expected to take. They work but can be a pain as the regulator may fall out and dangle. They can be a bit fiddly to put back in when wearing gloves.

I never thought of it as being used like that. I just thought that it was a poorly implemented variant of the standard bungee necklace. I guess you could use it like a regular octo holder, and expect your OOG buddy to grab it from around your neck while you stay on the primary, but I thought it was intended for primary donation, just like the better bungee version.

That seems like an odd place to store a backup second stage that you plan on donating. I may be wrong, though. I have never used the silicone version.

Oh, yeah. And get a backplate and wing.

I use the bungee cord but I use the zip tie that holds on the mouthpiece to attach it to the reg. I love that it never comes loose and fails around.
RichH

Hey, it was free. Try it you might like it, and if not you can always switch to a bungee. I have one that looks similar to yours, and I like mine just fine, even though I had to buy it, and my octo has never fallen out of the necklace.

I am going to give it a try in December. Wish it was yellow in color though. I have two newly minted divers with me so I'll get to practice using the Octo alot:shocked:

Back
Top Bottom