Octopus Regulator Necklace Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a couple of these I use with students with their own gear, saves having to bungee everything. Mine hold the octo quite securely and in a position where a free flow is super easy to pick up. When I dive with a mixed group of divers I like to use it as no matter how much you brief primary donate, someone will still grab for the first reg they see and this way I don't get towed around the reef by the bungee.

They are not the ideal solution but since you have one by all means use it. On a different note, I have now changed to a yellow faceplate on my primary and now everyone grabs for the yellow in an OOG, so that helps.

As with some others I too use home made "necklaces" out of 1/8 bungee. Never had one break, never had one come out, but could if I pulled hard enough. Simple, cheap and reliable. Bonus, can make to required length.

I would not have thought this necklace was for a 2nd stage that you intend to donate either.

So the first thing is to clarify if you want to donate the primary 2nd stage or alternate. If it's the primary, then get a longer hose (unless you already have a long hose) and put the alternate on a short hose (22-24") and fasten it around your neck with a necklace. As a few people have said, making one out of bungee is probably better than these silicone ones, because you can make the bungee fit your neck. This is the approach for most tech diving agencies.

If you are donating the alternate, I would not have it around your neck at all. I would fasten it to a chest D ring like people are generally taught in OW class. So I guess this silicone necklace is worth about what you paid for it.

Try it and see what you like and dislike about it. If you do not like something around your neck, neither that nor bungee will work. I use bungee with a knotted loop so the alt will pull loose. Zip ties may not let it go. I explain to my buddy that they are welcome to any reg I have in an OOA situation but I prefer they use my primary which is what I will give them if they ask.

Yep, I'll play with it in Mexico next month. If I don't like it, I'll offer to one of the DM or deck hands....I'm happy with it attached to one of my D rings, so we'll see.

Have a few new divers on this trip, so I'll have ample opportunity to share a reg.

For a D ring mounted alternative, I would consider a snapbolt tied to a oring around the alternative hose. Breakaway with the right amount of force.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom