Octopus Farming - a firm no from me 👎

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah -- but those oh, so tasty tapas are made with either baby squid or cuttlefish, the slow-witted and somewhat nasty cousins of octopuses -- so you're good to go . . .
Oh, yeah that's right. It's just that every time I hear something cephaloped related my mind jumps to chiperones. Octopus I'm not really that into. I'll take squid over octo all day.

They should look into farming cuttlefish, too. Much harder to find for sale in the US than octopus, even baby octopus.
Have you checked in some asian grocery stores. At least in Canada you'll find them there.

Have you checked in some asian grocery stores. At least in Canada you'll find them there.
Around here (metro Atlanta) cuttlefish can be found in the Asian stores, but it's practically hidden away in boxes in the freezer section in the back of the store, whereas whole octopus is out there fairly prominently on the fishmongers display section of the store--usually still frozen or half-frozen, of course, because it's all imported from Asia anyway. I suspect it's just a matter of most Americans being less familiar with cuttlefish than octopus, with which, as we are seeing from the comments in this thread, American palates have become quite familiar. I last ate cuttlefish in Vietnam--grilled over a fire if I recall--but have never seen it on a menu here. Octopus is not hard to find in US restaurants these days.

Deep fried puppy on the side, people…
At your nearest Korean / Vietnamese / Indonesian restaurant.

I cannot eat octopus.

I have tried it three times, I'm out on octopus. I find the texture horrible.

I suspect it's just a matter of most Americans being less familiar with cuttlefish than octopus, wiith which, as we are seeing from the comments in this thread, American palates have become quite familiar.
It's the exact opposite in Europe. You can find frozen squid products in every supermarket. Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever seeing Octopus in any northern european supermarket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom