Info Titanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to figure out how the scan was done. Magellan doesn't list laser scanning in their services. I am asking around to find out.

EDIT: "No lasers were used. 700,000 photos lighted by the ROV. People need to stop calling photos as scanning, it make it confusing to readers. They used Voyis's new camera system." - a laser scanning/photogammetry expert I know. The Voyis camera system used was the Observer Camera System.
EDIT2:
"It's taking photos/videos and creating an orthomosaic "map".
Then uses specialty software to calculate the depth of field from the commonalities of each photo to create a 3D point cloud of projected points.
Those point clouds are similar to the points you get from LiDAR.
The photogrammetry models on my website are created the same way.
This system by Voyis is unique because it is specifically calibrated to work underwater.
"

1684351530678.png

I don't know about all that stuff but the images sure are cool. Hopefully, the documentary will be available soon.

I'm trying to figure out how the scan was done. Magellan doesn't list laser scanning in their services. I am asking around to find out.

EDIT: "No lasers were used. 700,000 photos lighted by the ROV. People need to stop calling photos as scanning, it make it confusing to readers. They used Voyis's new camera system." - a laser scanning/photogammetry expert I know. The Voyis camera system used was the Observer Camera System.
EDIT2:
"It's taking photos/videos and creating an orthomosaic "map".
Then uses specialty software to calculate the depth of field from the commonalities of each photo to create a 3D point cloud of projected points.
Those point clouds are similar to the points you get from LiDAR.
The photogrammetry models on my website are created the same way.
This system by Voyis is unique because it is specifically calibrated to work underwater.
"

View attachment 783880
I figured it was a photogammetry model. There's no platform that could scan a large wreck like that in that depth of water. It would take a month just for the bow section.

I figured it was a photogammetry model. There's no platform that could scan a large wreck like that in that depth of water. It would take a month just for the bow section.
So I went back and spoke to my laser scanning guy, and here was his take on laser scanning:
Yes it could be done with an ROV, one of the large industrial ones. But I would attach it to a submarine for better control.

I did some quick math. The sub is traveling at 1 knot and at 5 meters off the ship. The ship is scanned in both x and y directions with 50% overlap. I’m guessing about 10 hours of actual scan time. Not including travel to and from ship and sub turnaround time to line up the next scan pass.

Basically 20x faster than photogrammetry. Plus half the processing time it takes to process photogrammetry.

Just to add, the Voyis Insight Pro is rated to 6000 meters, so it could do the job: Insight Pro Underwater Laser Scanner - Voyis

Such an expedition would be truly groundbreaking.

Appears they used two platforms for the scanning - the NPR piece doesn't specify if they were manned or unmanned, but the list of manned submersibles that can reach the wreck is pretty short (still in single digits, I think). "Romeo" and "Juliet" are likely ROVs or AUVs (admittedly a bit disappointed they didn't go with "Jack" and "Rose," especially if they managed to get both aboard the support ship at the same time).

Given how the wreck has visibly deteriorated even since 1985, those scans are useful to have as a snapshot of its condition. There are a few estimates floating around that the wreck might structurally collapse 10-15 years from now.

Review video added:

Romeo (green) and Juliette (white) operated by Magellan Ltd.
image-20230503-092834-d23f4800-845x684.jpeg

magellan-deep-sea-05-845x684.jpg

magellan-deep-sea-01-845x684.jpg

There are a few estimates floating around that the wreck might structurally collapse 10-15 years from now.
The deteoriation is slower than first thought. At first, estimates was that Titanic lost 11 tons of steel a year, that number has been reduced to about 4 tons per year. She should retain structure for another 50.

Would love to see some similar scans of the Doria. I know she is falling apart faster being shallower, so be curious to see this level of imagery at that location.

The deteoriation is slower than first thought. At first, estimates was that Titanic lost 11 tons of steel a year, that number has been reduced to about 4 tons per year. She should retain structure for another 50.
Point. I think also that the folks making those predictions don't necessarily understand how the ship is built; as pointed out in the video earlier the hull frames (i.e. the actual structural supports) will take the most time to deteriorate. With that said, it does seem like there's been visible deterioration of parts of the wreck since 1985, although how much of that is actual and how much is medium (e.g., Ken Marschall's illustrations relying on available photos and video) is up for debate.

Would love to see some similar scans of the Doria. I know she is falling apart faster being shallower, so be curious to see this level of imagery at that location.
I would like to see autonomous ROVs with compact laser scanners going around and inside these wrecks. ROV autonomy isn't sophisticated enough yet, but I expect definitely within the next decade, they will be. But outside of the wrecks, those can be scanned to submillimeter accuracy today.

As I have found with my own expedition in Greece in September, it requires people willing to cough up enough money. Fortunately my budget (not including the Newton Labs PL3200UW-LW that I purchased) to be $118K. I don't think my budget would go very far for doing the same thing with the Titanic as we will have with the Mentor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom