Octopus Farming - a firm no from me đź‘Ž

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this story yesterday, too. Ideally, it's getting enough attention now that the plan to farm them and kill them via ice will die a death as painful and stressful as what they're planning on inflicting on creatures likely far more intelligent and engaging than them.

This was attempted years ago, in Japan, to varying degrees of success and they only achieved full-cycle reproductive culture as recently as 2018.

Apparently the Spaniards are currently a more expedient political target than are the Japanese fisheries.

The overcrowding and, according to the dispatch, constant lighting, strikes me as a bigger issue, since the animals are generally nocturnal and particularly solitary, unlike most squid, and they will most likely continuously fight and consume one another.

We once had one of the common octopuses, "Fredo," whom we accidentally caught in an otter trawl, at one of the labs where I had worked; and we had once introduced a second octopus to his sizable tank.

Inside of a day, Fredo had "pushed the other guy's buttons" -- and there was little left of him by the following morning, save for a portion of a single arm and some loose webbing.

I still think that the prospect of killing them with freezing water temperatures is at least preferable to what I have seen, the world over, where octopuses are still frequently hand-caught, as they have been for millennia; and one of the most common way of dispatching the larger species had been by basically turning the mantle (the sack-like portion) inside-out, which often doesn't kill them immediately -- certainly not the way I'd care to go . . .

ok, then how do they really intend to kill these octos?

I would want to see humane guidelines. The article explains they are territorial, and keeping them in close proximity with each other could stress them. That sounds even worse than hogs in cages.

Back
Top Bottom