octopus connetion to bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cooper

Registered
Reaction score
What is the best way (device, rig) for attaching Your octopus to your bcd and where?

There might be some DIRing on this post but don't worry too much.

If you CHOOSE to use an octo clipped to your BC then my preference is to have the hose coming under your left arm accross your chest and clipped onto a right hand chest D-ring. The key thing is to keep the reg in a fixed position (not floating around), close to your body where it can easily be found and released.

Personally I donate the primary reg out of my mouth and keep the back-up (for me) in a necklace but I used the above method without any problems.

The most common RECREATIONAL (non DIR) way to configure an octo is so it hangs in the "triangle": the space from the end of your chin to either side of the rib cage. How you attach it is up to you: bungeed, clipped, various mouthpiece holder(s), whatever.

Usually the octo is on a longer hose that makes it easier to donate & hook up with the recipient (and swim up together).

~SubMariner~

Pre-flame fire retardant:
One of the basic tenents of the DIR movement, as I understand it, is that all members of the team know exactly where and how assistance will occur. That assumed, diving with a bunch of recreational divers, trained in conventional methods, argues to some extent for supporting conventional air-sharing technique.

The key is that the octo be
(a) clearly visible
(b) easily removable
(c) kept clean
(d) not free flow

(d) should be the case if the reg is properly adjusted, and better yet, not hung "upside down"

I like the ScubaPro "Mouthpiece Plug-Octopus Retainer" because it tends to hang the octo faceplate out rather than down. Goes around the neck of the mouthpiece and a questionably-useful plug can be inserted into the bore. About $5

http://www.scubastore.com/producte....tipo=REGULATORS&subtipo=, spare parts&desde=1

I use the scubapro plug octo holder too. I like the especially useful plug that you can insert into the mouthpiece, to help prevent freeflows and reduces crap from entering. Besides there is little chance of it fouling up during removal. Not -DIR though.

This may suprise some people as I am known for the amount of scubapro kit I have. However, there is one bit of kit of theirs that I hate - the plug octo holder! It always (for me) seems to hold it in place for about 5 seconds....

I use and an Octo-quick - no idea who makes them as it does not come in a bag or any packaging but it's fido's dangly bits!! Until I get this necklace thing sussed (as you will see from another thread) I even use it with doubles.....

Jonathan

That's funny, perhaps the plug ain't in right... I switched over to the scubapro holder because it was just that more secure compared to those other octo holders that flew right off if I jumped into the water.

The best way I've found is using a snorkel keeper. Find a D-ring and attach the keeper directly to the D-ring using a lark's head knot. If you just pull on the outer ring, you can stretch it enough to just slip the octo mouthpiece right in. It comes out with a nice firm tug, and stays put otherwise. They're great, and only a dollar or two at your LDS.

http://wwwedu.ssc.nasa.gov/kap/images/lark.gif

I have done something similar in the past using a couple of o-rings (one joined to the D-ring with a larks head hitch the other joined to the first with another LHH). You can 'tune' the release force by trying different sized o-rings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom