October Not-Quite-So-MegaDive 2006 Oct. 27-29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh and please, someone tell me they have pictures from the "Galaxy Dive."

That was better than any other dive I've ever had (which, granted, is only 7, 8 if you include the galaxy dive itself. Incidentally, becuase I forgot how my computer stores dives, I listed info for the galaxy dive in dive 7 before I realized my mistake. the dives were similar though, both were inthe ballroom, but 7 was around lunch time)--it was awesome to swim through!! Any picture that showed the effect at all is pretty much garunteed to be myd esktop background! Infact, a really really good picture might warrant a new video card so I can go dual monitor :)

Scuba Board Rocks !!! .... I had an amazing time and so did Sean ... It is such a great state we live in … if you are a diver. Cave dives is something that only a select few get to do … but it sooo beautiful in underwater caverns and caves that once you catch a glimps of it … you are hooked. the cavern “Ball room” at Ginnie springs this weekend was amazing (even thru my Closterphobia) The river is sparkling clear and with all the springs pouring into it .... beautiful. We had great food … (thanks Ken) and wonderful company. The river clean up is a worth while event and I hope to be a part of many more to come.
Kim P

No pics frmo the galaxy dive, I tried to snap some last spring and it is just too dim.
Thus, the galaxy dive is one of those you-Gotta-Be-There things!

Put some of the best shots of the weekend up in my PhotoBucket...
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/SFLDiver/Ginnie Megadive/
and can post here if necessary.

Best shots of the weekend were of the mist crawling down the Santa Fe early
each morning, especially sunday when it was a nippy 50 degrees. Failed to get
any spectacular shots of the red shoulder hawk that perched near the Turkey Roost.

Oddest sighting of the weekend, walking Mardie to the restroom during the friday
night rain deluge we spot a sidewinder (yes, he said sidewinder) winding his way
from the banks near devil's ear across our path thru some puddles and into the woods.

Best quote of the weekend ... uttered by a totally honest and fun young'un ...
(ie. none of us inebriated oldsters!)
"Once, there was words in my poo."
Needless to say we greeted him each morning with,
"so, what's the word of the day?"

Omlettes inna bag still rock .... BIG thanks to Ken!

The river clean-up was a great success
.... BIG thanks to David for putting it all together!

Rum tote made it home with me this time.
By the time you see it again at the turkey fry it might fit into a shoebox, eh?

Many Many Many Thanks to ALL those who helped, pitched-in, came, saw, ate,
partied, got soaked and partied the next night as well!!!!

P1010038x.jpg

eandiver:
... and a camouflage womens halter top

Halfway through the dive, I found a camoflage bandana. Hmmm wonder if was from the same person. :)
Last year, My wife found a college frat "Trojan" shirt She cut the arms off and wears the shirt often now. It was practically brand new.
Scubafool, thx for showing me that I have an addiction. I may not have organised this Knot-sew-megadive, but I will definitely organise more! It was awesome to have a break from the leadership and just cook and have fun. You did a great job, and I hope to see more river cleanups in the future thanks to your hard work.

Speaking of which, Thank you very much to Ginnie Springs,
( www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com ) for the surface support, free comp passes and definitely for the shuttle service back and forth for divers and gear. You guys made it great! There were no actual numbers , but the canoe was completely full including a cinder block and a large truck tire. (Still don't know who brought THAT to the surface.) The canoe barely sat above water. Another three or four bags would have sunk the canoe!

Thank you immensely to ALL the participants, from the bubblewatchers who took care of kids so we could dive, to the divers actually retrieving trash from the bottom. My son tried some experiments of current drift surface support which taught us a lot about things we will NOT be able to do. Thank you for switching to surface support and helping as a spotter for divers, among other things.

Figuring the buoyancy of the canoe at 900 pounds, we took about 750 pounds of garbage OUT of the river. I also noticed a number of divers who brought their bags out WITH them and this did not contribute to that total. I would guess, a trash weight total of near 900 pounds. We had 27 participants on/in/under the river at one time!
WOW!
:D
Maneater says she missed all of you. The kids are feeling better but my ear and throat are killing me. It was awesome to see such a clear and clean river. I only brought up about two bags If the ear squeeze hadn't limited me to 10 feet, It would have been at least three bags. Aside from the SA Storm conditions on Friday and FA cold on Sunday, Saturday was absolutely immaculate!!!! We could not have hoped for better conditions on the Santa Fe!
I did not get any pix this time but I know there were some taken. I missed the Galaxy Dive, but look forward to next year's. As such, I am looking at dates in April. I will let you know more as the time gets closer.
KUDOS... first to Scubafool, (AKA KegDiver)- awesome planning on the cleanup! Thanks for the passes and for the awesome weekend. Thanks also to Andy and Jeano, personally for all your help. Thank you Jenny for the comedy and being the designated RumSnatcher! Yep it's a trust issue M8! To SFL and Mar-D, the sugar bombs are still kicking! Mar-D, I found the drum, 70 bucks on one site. Send me a PM so we can talk about the other drums n stuff.
It's almost 930 at night and I still have a truckload of stuff to unpack. I'll write more later. Great job all!

oh yeh,... Yarr! Or in my case,..... BAM!

What a weekend!

I am so grateful to everyone for showing up for the cleanup. I was a little worried that we would end up with just a few divers in the water and it would be a bust. I guess that I should know the Conch divers better by now, though. Thank you, thank you, thank you! The river thanks you as well.

Andy's very convincing imitation of Bob Dylan, Ken's omelet cooking, Jenny's war dance, Kim's paddling prowess, Bob's axework, and so many more, made for a continuous good time.

I am amazed at how much has been done to clean up the river over the summer. When I participated in a cleanup dive earlier this year, the amount of trash that was evident was appalling. Ginnie has really stepped up to the plate, and sponsored multiple cleanups, the result of which was very evident to me. There just isn't a lot of trash left in the river. If you ever get a chance to drift dive it when the visibility is good, you are in for a treat.

Clayjar had a mesh duffle bag that he and I and another dive buddy (not SBer) used as a sort of dive trio to collect trash in. Clayjar dragged a flag, I carried the bag. Three empty's I believe, and I exited with it completely full (quite litereally, it was stuffed in there!). I'd say it was an easy 30-50 pounds out of the water, it played havoc with my bouyancy control. Good to know how much trash came out of the river though!

Someone with a yellow camera took a picture of two of me on the cleanup dive, I think near the beginning, it was before Ginnie Spring. I want to know who that was and I wouldn't mind seeing the picture....

JahJahwarrior:
Someone with a yellow camera took a picture of two of me on the cleanup dive, I think near the beginning, it was before Ginnie Spring. I want to know who that was and I wouldn't mind seeing the picture....

That would be Divergirl4u. Kim I'd very much like to see the pics of me too if that is convenient.

BabyDuck dropped me off at about 10:45 and the first thing I did was hit the shower.

I want to thank ScubaFool for getting this organized, and Roxanne for being so kind as to help the "effectively" camping newbie with her borrowed tent, and DeepSeaWolf those were killer omelettes in a bag.

Everyone was wonderful, it was great meeting everyone I had a terrific time in-spite of the rain (but I slept through it). Saturday was an awesome day absolutely gorgeous.

JeanDiver took me down Devil's Ear and Eye as far as I was allowed to go which was fine, and it was really dark in there.

I will get some of my pictures into my photobucket tomorrow and will put a link up when I get them loaded. After everyone had left I was helping BabyDuck breakdown her tent and we found a couple of green tree frogs. One jumped away pretty quickly the other did not want to move, so I moved him to a stump and started photographing him, he was giving me all sorts of poses for about 5 minutes. Then I put my camera away and he jumped away.

The Hawk was amazing, I will have to check out my photos to see if I got anything usable on him.

I had a great time and I would definitely do this again, I am even thinking of going out an getting my own tent.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom