October diving in Belize or Cozumel, would you risk it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lunula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have a family wedding in Iowa the first weekend in October and our 20-year anniversary is the following Wednesday. I thought it would be fun to travel somewhere that week instead of coming straight home. There are direct flights back from both Belize & Cozumel to Charlotte (where we live) - however - I know it's the tail-end of hurricane season...

Anyone been to either Belize or Cozumel in early/mid October? Would you risk it? Would one be better in terms of weather, and diving, for that time period?

We likely wouldn't stay a full week, so we'd probably only get 3-4 days of diving.

I have been to both places multiple times in late September or October. Once there was a hurricane that tracked thru Roatan, Belize then up to Cozumel. All of the other trips were perfect weather, warm water and good times. More often than not you will have a great trip.

I have been to both places multiple times in late September or October. Once there was a hurricane that tracked thru Roatan, Belize then up to Cozumel. All of the other trips were perfect weather, warm water and good times. More often than not you will have a great trip.

Well said.

October has been good to me in Mexico 3 years now, but occasionally it can be a bad time.

Regards,
Cameron

Yes it's hurricane season, and you may lose the bet, but you probably won't. Aside from the possibility of a tropical storm system I think October is some of the nicest weather in the whole region. Go for it, and buy travel insurance if it makes you feel better or you don't want to self-insure.

+1 for what others have already stated and I would definitely go with Cozumel over Belize, given the amount of time and number of dive days you have.

We go every year at the end of October for Day of the Dead. Amazing time and amazing celebrations. Depending on how bad it is, our dive op, Aldora, has a larger boat that can put into service if the ports are closed. We have never had to play that card though. Obviously, no one is diving in hurricane conditions.

Holloween and Day of the Dead (and All Saints Day) are amazing times and deep in Mexican Culture. It seems the entire island come out to celebrate. If you enjoy other cultures, its a great time to go. We're looking at Oct. 28 to Nov 3 this year. Lots of rain last year...but still lots of fun. I'm just waiting on a Southwest airfare "glitch" now to book.

Our oldest daughter is getting married on Oct. 20....so I will need this trip more than most!!!!! Apparently a church, a cake, and some punch doesn't cut it anymore...lol!

Safe travels,
Jay

Hurricane season in the Caribbean is not a consideration to me in choosing a destination. When the weather in October is good, it's really good. Good airfare deals can be found. I like to roll the dice. The odds are pretty good that there will not be a hurricane during your stay. Basically, what Damselfish said.

We've been going to Cozumel in early to mid-October for the past 5 years. It's my favorite time of year there. Crowds are smaller. Rates are down. Temps are still warm. It rains almost every day for 30 min + but generally not until late afternoon. The rest of the time weather is perfect.

I do buy trip insurance and keep an eye on the storm systems but, at least so far, we've had no issues.

Back
Top Bottom