Question Caribbean diving 9/30-10/07, where is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattfish

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As the title says, I have a week from September 30th to October 7th to go diving. My budget covers travel to most places in the Caribbean, but not further than that. I was hoping y’all here on SB could offer some locations that are good that time of year. I’ve been to Belize twice, and Roatan once. I’ll be going back to Roatan in March 2024, so let’s leave that off the list.

Right now, I’m just interested in knowing what locations I should focus my search on (or what locations I should definitely avoid) rather than specific resorts/dive-ops/etc. I know hurricane season is a consideration, but ignoring that, what places have otherwise good weather, water conditions, seasonal wildlife that time of year… that’s what I’m hoping to learn more about right now.

Your safest from tropical storms if you stay “low”.

Venezuala (los Roques, Margaritte) , the ABC, Corn, and Bay Islands.

It’s still s crap shoot, but you can improve your odds.

(BTW, one zone in Roatan is very different from another, South vs North or West. Try something different on Roatan, be very surprised. Those months, dive with a South side operation, better shelter from wind and wave)

Curacao, Bonaire.
I agree..... Can't go wrong with either of these and far less chance of hurricane issues in the far south Carib...

Avoid any live aboard during the Caribbean Storm Season.

I understand this is but one example, from 2001

It’s bad enough to stand on dirt through a storm, but a tinker-toy boat? Belize land based itself is statistically ill advised.

I led the initial search for another- the 300’ steel hulled Windjammer Fantome lost 11/98. A very big live aboard.

IMG_6739.jpeg

Land based, below that line…but even then, only if you must.

Your safest from tropical storms if you stay “low”.

Venezuala (los Roques, Margaritte) , the ABC, Corn, and Bay Islands.

It’s still s crap shoot, but you can improve your odds.

(BTW, one zone in Roatan is very different from another, South vs North or West. Try something different on Roatan, be very surprised. Those months, dive with a South side operation, better shelter from wind and wave)
Thanks Doc! I always enjoy hearing from you regarding Roatan. I’ll be going back to CCV in March, but I’d consider AKR to see the north side. Is the weather really that bad that I’d want to avoid them on that week?

Utila and the ABC islands are great suggestions! Thanks for those. I think I’ll put them at the top of my list.

@mattfish AKR in March is a fair bet. The Northers usually abate by then. The nice thing about AKR is that they are so well established that if they’re blown out they will bus you to their landing on the South side where you’ll load onto their dive boats.

Many West dive ops say they will take you to dive on the South shore to avoid the Northers- but you do not want to get there via their dive boat.

IF you’re talking about just going over to their North side location to use them for a day during your week at CCV, you can easily decide that with a quick look at the immediate weather. It would offer you a good chance to compare the two top resorts on Roatan.

Good stuff! Thanks again Doc.

I decided to go to Bonaire. I’ll be staying with Buddy Dive Resort. I’ve always wanted to see Bonaire, but my wife-buddy has a bum ankle that doesn’t do well on the rocky shorelines. But Buddy’s has boat dives, so we will boat dive, and hit a couple of the more sandy entry spots if we feel up to a shore dive. The house reef right at Buddy’s looks real nice too.

Back
Top Bottom