Best diving in June in Central American / Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm with a group living in Brazil looking for somewhere to dive in mid June. We're still working everything out and fairly flexible. We have already done Fernando do Noronha.

The two main people on the trip are experienced divers but some friends might potentially like to join and do their Open Water with us - so somewhere that appeals to all would be great. I like macro photography but that's not a no.1 priority.

There's not an exact budget but somewhat on the cheaper side would be good if there is great diving. We're not the types to stay in fancy hotels or do expensive liveaboards.

Two options that seem to stand out to me at the moment are Roatan and Curacao.

It is hurricane season and Curacao seems to be outside of the hurricane area so that seems like one advantage.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

In June, Hurricane Season in the zone of Curaçao > Roatan? I wouldn’t fret all that much.

Draw a line between those two rocks. ABC to the Bay Islands. Storms rarely track that path on their general WNW movement. Usually keeping 90+ miles off to the North, curving clockwise to the NW, “lifting” towards Belize, Cozumel, Texas, all the historical tracks.

For a hurricane force storm to reach, much less penetrate the line of Caribbean islands is unusual in June, they usually spin up NW and maybe take a shot at PR, Cuba, Bahamas.

These thoughts are based on historical data and 50 years of me watching most stuff miss these rocks you selected.

As to which for diving? Roatan. If you want a decidedly much more upscale social (and accommodation) scene? Curaçao.

[your profile suggests a British passport might be involved. You people used to fly your flag over Roatan. It is a widely held belief that someday the King shall return! Most Brits get pulled to dive the Caribbean by your ‘bus route’ to Grenada]

870C9B72-2C67-4729-8BC3-7172F23AAF52.jpeg

But if you’re coming off of one of those holy grail island trips, Fernando d Noronha? Roatan is the good move. Specifically, you’re primed by Brazil’s Fernando de Noronha for Roatan’s South side, focus on Coco View.

[obviously, you’re into diving over vacationing. Roatan offers “vacations with diving” on the West End, but i’m thinking you want a “dive vacation”: CCV will not disappoint ]

Your post was a bit confusing- inferring that your buddies wanted an AOW Cert after your Fernando d Noronha visit. Usually occurs in a reverse order :wink: or is unnecessary due to simple life experience trumping the plastic card.

If they want an AOW card, Coco View’s PADI Dockside Dive Center has again completely swept ALL of those 1st Place trophy award categories from Scuba Dive Magazine. Rental gear is std BCD but clean, fresh and perfect. You’ll easily have 27 dives in a week, shore access to a 140’ shipwreck, a DC3, two verdant walls. Macro & micro heaven.

You mentioned price, but only in vague terms. In life, and certainly if diving Roatan, you have to pay for what you get. Most inquiries, I direct them to the myriad other options on Roatan, the “party with some diving”, but I sense your goals are different…my dive vacay time is valuable, that’s why I’m a CCV fanboy.

That’s quite a trek you’ve planned, i would not overthink the weather threat in that specific area during June. Please post trip reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom