OCTOBER 2007 Scubaboard Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from Cozumel. Weather was horrible last week but we did get some diving in. Dove with Dive Paradise and they did great. Wish I could say the same about the reefs. Sadly, I think this will be the last time we visit Cozumel.

We haven't been to Cozumel in about 7 years and things have changed. Where they used to get 3 cruise ships a week, they now get 2-3 a day. Prices for everything have skyrocketed and it's much more of a mini-Cancun now. So that was disappointing. Not nearly as bad as the reefs however.

Since it was overcast and rainy, our dives where usually only to about 60 feet. Everything at least too that level was fairly disappointing. Most of it covered with sand. Frankly, I've had better dive trips in Jamaica. Outside of the two nurse sharks we saw one dive and seeing the submarine another, it was very unremarkable.

I'm sorry you had a less than satisfying experience, but as to the diving, I don't think what you saw was representative of the whole reef system there. Some of the shallow reefs, especially the more northern ones, do have sand on them, but certainly not all of them. You said that you only or mostly dove shallow; the deeper reefs are in much better shape than the worst of the shallow ones, and the reefs at the south end are the best of those.

Yes, the development machine is running on Cozumel, but it's not too hard to get away from it. Deeper in town, south along the west shore, and especially over on the east side, there is plenty of the Old Cozumel left. Ironically, the new roads to and from the east side are what I hate to see, since they herald the advent of development over there.

Yes, Cozumel is pricier than it used to be, but what isn't? I have noticed the difference, of course, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Ya, we only dove shallower ones because it was so dark with the overcast skies. I don't know about the deeper ones, they could be fine. I have some pictures I'll try and put up later.

One other thing I forgot to add was downtown is torn up. They are redoing a LOT of the roads in town and have most of them blocked off. Not really a big deal for me but might for some people who don't really like the sound of jack hammers.

Prices weren't bad, just higher and a bit dissappointing. It happens.

Ya, we only dove shallower ones because it was so dark with the overcast skies. I don't know about the deeper ones, they could be fine. I have some pictures I'll try and put up later.

One other thing I forgot to add was downtown is torn up. They are redoing a LOT of the roads in town and have most of them blocked off. Not really a big deal for me but might for some people who don't really like the sound of jack hammers.

Prices weren't bad, just higher and a bit disappointing. It happens.

The weather definitely wasn't friendly last week, but I'm with Gordon. I don't understand why that affected your dive profiles. Maybe a little darker than usual below, but the difference in 60 and 80 for example is really minimal with regards to the light. Sorry to hear that.

Slowing down and taking time to enjoy the reefs also helps alot. If you're just zooming through in a big group, not stopping to see what's there, it's hard to really appreciate the dive.

Once the downtown construction is finished, I think we'll also notice a huge difference in the crowds downtown. With a more beautified downtown area, and more pedestrian areas..the crowds may spread out a little.

Enjoy whatever destinations you choose in the future!

We just got back from Cozumel. Weather was horrible last week but we did get some diving in. Dove with Dive Paradise and they did great. Wish I could say the same about the reefs. Sadly, I think this will be the last time we visit Cozumel.

We haven't been to Cozumel in about 7 years and things have changed. Where they used to get 3 cruise ships a week, they now get 2-3 a day. Prices for everything have skyrocketed and it's much more of a mini-Cancun now. So that was disappointing. Not nearly as bad as the reefs however.

Since it was overcast and rainy, our dives where usually only to about 60 feet. Everything at least too that level was fairly disappointing. Most of it covered with sand. Frankly, I've had better dive trips in Jamaica. Outside of the two nurse sharks we saw one dive and seeing the submarine another, it was very unremarkable.

On a positive note, the new highway around the island is great and even driving around town was easy and without incident. Not sure if they made everyone taking driving lessons or what but it was definitely better.

Anyway, don't mean to be negative as we had a good time there. The food, although now much more expensive was all great and the people where as wonderful as ever. It's just not a destination for us anymore.

My goodness, I'm not sure we were in the same Cozumel just last week...I agree, the weather was rainy, However, the description of the reefs you saw are not what DH and I see. Yes, there is some sand, however, we have been diving Cozumel for the past 5 years and have always been very satisfied by the condition and the amount of marine life. This opinion also included the times post Emily and Wilma. We actually have found the rebirth of the reef very exciting and can report that our trip last week produced some very LARGE marine life which included Queen Angels on steroids and Groupers that were in the heavyweight class. We also saw two VERY LARGE green morays, turtles and Parrot Fish. The corals are also growing and rapid speed. Our deepest dive, Devils Throat was 127 feet with our most shallow around 45 feet on Paradise. All of our dive days either rained or had an overcast of clouds. However, our Dive op, Blue XT SEA and the fantastic crew there have never let us down in seeking and finding the best critters there are.

As far as the growth of the island, I will agree that things are changing, but we have never experienced that CANCUN kind of atmosphere. We just avoid the congested times of day in town, spending that time either diving, relaxing at one of the many hotels or B & B we have stayed at, eating at an out of the way restaurant or best yet, escaping to the EAST Side to just vegetate. In fact, our East side day was very rainy. DH, our friends and I spent the day and had a blast. What a different experience it was to sit on the quiet beach in the rain. Very calming.....

I am sorry for your disappointment with Cozumel, perhaps another try someday may be in your future. If you would like any suggestions , please feel free to contact me. Sue Sue

It was great. Garry and Heidi here. The diving is fantastic. Rained today. Stopped by to say hello to Christy. She wasn't there. Will stop by again tomorrow.
We're at the Wyndham is you have any questions for us. Sand dollar is doing a great job. There are many improvements here since Wyndham took over.

It was great. Garry and Heidi here. The diving is fantastic. Rained today. Stopped by to say hello to Christy. She wasn't there. Will stop by again tomorrow.
We're at the Wyndham is you have any questions for us. Sand dollar is doing a great job. There are many improvements here since Wyndham took over.

I'm never there on Sundays. Did you not see the note on the door? I won't be there tomorrow either. In fact, I won't be there until the dredging machines and jackhammers are finished on my street. There's no point in it! I'm working from home and those who have reservations with me know when/how/where to reach me and when/where the boat will pick them up :)

I.... There's no point in it! I'm working from home and those who have reservations with me know when/how/where to reach me and when/where the boat will pick them up :)

Well for the last several times you have left the island when I came down, now you close you office for the week I'm coming down. :confused:

I don't think I'll give you any warning the next time I'm down just so I can say hello.

Tim

Well for the last several times you have left the island when I came down, now you close you office for the week I'm coming down. :confused:

I don't think I'll give you any warning the next time I'm down just so I can say hello.

Tim

It's a conspiracy Tim...haha! You can CALL the office and I'll still answer :) I have the phone forwarded right now :) When are you going to be here and for how long? I may be in the office before you leave :)

Seriously though, from day to day we don't know which machine is working or what type of access we have. It's a total mess and I don't want my divers having to jump over a 3 ft deep trench to check in....so I'm not requiring them to come to the office until they can do so safely :)

We'll be down tomorrow for a week. I'll either call or email.

tim

Just got back (boohoo) after 4 days and 11 dives with Christi's outfit. Will write a more complete trip report soon but just have to say that we had a great time with Pedro and Arturo from BlueXTSea leading us over the incredible wonders of the Cozumel reef system.

Just counting the days until the next trip....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom