Octo regulator identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can get a new cheap octo for $80 so why spend as much on all those parts, not to mention all the hassle of getting them, fixing it up, etc.

A quick search at Vintage Double Hose finds a Conshelf kit for $12 which includes the seat, o-rings, and exhaust valve and a diaphragm for $12. So the cost savings is around $50 adding a few dollars for shipping.

Some people do like to service their own gear.

There's really no need to buy a kit.......the USD seats almost never need replacement (and turning it over will get you a new surface anyway), and there's three static o rings (one around the poppet barrel, one for the orifice, and another for the plastic plug).
Push out the poppet barrel from the case, soak in vinegar for a couple of minutes, put a bit of lube on the outside of the barrel and reassemble. The chances are it won't even need any adjustment. If the inhalation diaphragm has a hole it needs to be replaced.

.....don't adjust the lock nut unless you have a leak or the reg rattles when pressurized.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

I think whether a person buys a new octo, pays a technician, or does the DIY is mostly about personal preference. I can't say one way is better than the others. For me, I'm a DIY'er for many things.

After soaking the parts (actually took it completely apart), flipping the seat, doing a temp fix on the diaphragm, reassembling, adjusting to about 1" cracking pressure - the octo breathes really smooth now. I might need to seriously think about making this my primary reg...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom