Octo/inflator in cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mooch4289

Registered
Reaction score
A recent thread and others have got me thinking...

Alot of people on here have stated that Air2's, or similar style safe second is great for tropical, warm water diving, but they say they wouldn't use them in cold water. While I can certainly see the reasoning for this in a cave or other overhead environment, I'm curious why people are skeptical of their use in cold water recreational diving. What's the reasoning behind this?

I use them and I don't use them. I like them but have only used them to know how to use them and inflate with them and deflate with them and breathe from the bag with them.
I have never used an occy and dive alone so buddy variables do not apply but obviously use two seconds with tech twins and a standard inflator because thats what you do.
I think we only get down to about 45 or 50 deg in Melbourne and my only issue was once when I lost the diaphragm and related parts and inflator cap and screw on an old Seaquest which became ugly when there was more air rushing past my thumb than into the bc when on the surface.
But that occured in surge and swell and surf amongst rocks so don't worry about it, and now I gaffer tape my regs up so I don't worry about it.
What I might do is grab a Seaquest and an Apeks and a Scubapro and an AP Valves air device and put them in the fridge with a bucket of water and a thermometer, etc etc and see what happens so I can answer your question.

I used one for awhile in relatively cold water, (45-55 degrees). No real problems with it, I just found it made operating the inflator more clumsy. There was just more stuff there to work around.

Just depends on how comfortable you are with it and if you practice enough to make it second nature. Personally I like it for cold water with gloves because they have big buttons that are easy to find.

Performance wise if you have a quality one, should be fine for cold water, esp a higher quality one like the Air2 or Atomic SS1.

I use them up here in PNW and I love it. Like Formula1 said, with gloves on the big buttons are nice and easy to find. I also like it because it's one less hose I have to have on my 1st stage. That, to me is the best part of the set up.

Esp if you have an wireless AI computer and divng wet, only two hoses on the 1st stage, so real quick setup: hook up regulator to tank, connect to inflator, and done.

I can tell you from first hand experience Ice diving froze my second Atomic SS1. In effort of full disclaimer I loved the second for every single dive used but those. It was a really cold, windy, crappy day. By the end almost everything was frozen for many of the people diving that day. After that experience I decided to switch to an entirely different rig with octo.

So to the OP.... How cold is cold?

I wouldn't use an Air-2 in a bathtube yet alone open water.

I also like it because it's one less hose I have to have on my 1st stage. That, to me is the best part of the set up.

Why is it that nearly every diver I hear cite "one less hose" as the benefit of an integrated octo/inflator invariably looks like this otherwise...

i2christmas_tree.png

:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom