Octo/inflator in cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I consider it a mediocre inflator because I found it harder to locate and hit the right buttons when I wanted to.

The only button I ever use on my Atomic SS1 is the small inflate button. After diving with it for a couple years, it's second nature to me now. If I'm vertical it's always easier to vent by pulling straight down on the inflator, utilizing the dump valve at the shoulder. If I'm swimming horizontally, I always use one of the pull dump valves on the bottom of the bladder.

Under the conditions that most of us regularly dive, to me either style seems sufficiently adequate. We all know the positives and negatives to both octos and octo/inflators. If you're comfortable using one or the other, stick with it.

But that's just my opinion, and you all know the saying about opinions...

But what is a "mediocre inflator?" You push one button, air goes in. Push another, air goes out. I fail to see how one is any better than another.

I used one for quite some time in both warm and cold water. Try an air-sharing buddy ascent with one sometime and you'll see one drawback to the integrated inflator/octo. Mine at least is a PITA to orally inflate. The breathing characteristics of the ones I've used are also inferior to a decent octo, at least to me.

For what it's worth, I don't hate on the inflator/octo combo. I just have found it to be clumsy in some use cases and I won't use it as an alternate air source any more.

Some people like 'em, some don't, and some are quite vocal in their dislike. It's not like this is the only gear controversy out there. :D

Try an air-sharing buddy ascent with one sometime and you'll see one drawback to the integrated inflator/octo. Mine at least is a PITA to orally inflate.

You're orally inflating with an air-sharing buddy? So you BOTH ran out of air? I think your problem clearly doesn't lie with your choice of gear.

Some people like 'em, some don't, and some are quite vocal in their dislike. It's not like this is the only gear controversy out there.

Yes, I know. At the same time, none of the haters can really come up with a compelling argument against them. On one of the myriad of threads on octo-inflators:

- "They don't breathe as smooth as my 2nd." Yea, so? Who's going to care when it's saving their life?

- "They're awkward to use." Only if you don't practice the skill. Which is true for any skill left ignored.

- "They're illegal in [insert country name here]." Please. That was an incredibly weak attempt.

- "They're not as reliable." No data to support that statement.

- "You can't dump air out of your BC while breathing off the octo." Wrong. That's just wrong.

- "They're bigger and therefore increase drag." Pure nonsense. They also eliminate a hose which sure seems like it would REDUCE drag.

Eventually the haters all come back to CAVE DIVING which we all agree requires a completely different gear setup. And just because a given setup is better for cave diving doesn't mean it translates to open water diving.

-Charles

You're orally inflating with an air-sharing buddy? So you BOTH ran out of air? I think your problem clearly doesn't lie with your choice of gear.

Two separate issues. My bad, that wasn't clear.

I stand by the two statements I made: It's more challenging to make an air-sharing buddy ascent in an OOA situation with one, and it's a PITA to orally inflate. Both of those are emergency use cases where task loading is an issue. I used one for 9 years, I practiced regularly, and found that any advantage that octo/inflators have were outweighed by those two issues.

My opinion, of course. I realize you don't share that opinion. I'm OK with that.

I wouldn't use an Air-2 in a bathtube yet alone open water.

Some sort of Egyptian device for modest bathers?

Re the air2...they work, and before I switched to the bcd I use now I used one. I practice airshares somewhat frequently and find it's easier to do with an octo. You can dump air while using the air2, but again it's easier with the octo. I noticed with the air2 I tended to keep one hand on it when in use. Also it feels like I havee more freedom of head motion with the octo.

The thing does work though, and I'd happily dive one if I needed a rental rig while traveling to warm water.

To me, the AIR2 concept works. I have nearly no issue with it. Yes, it is a bit awkward at first, but with some practise you will improve your skills when needed.

However, I would like to use the following example to try and make a point, if that’s possible ......

“You can also fit a manual gear shift too your cars steering wheel, and it will work. It will be awkward at first, but with some practise, you will improve. How effective you will be is another story”.

My Point is this: At some point in time, you are going to try and do 2 tings at the same time using a single piece of equipment. Why complicate things ?!? Try and keep things simple.

Other than my very first pool dive where I had an octo,I've never used any thing other than an Octo-Z.I love it.
If I'm breathing off my Octo-Z it means that someone is out of air and I have donated my primary.Dumping air from my BC is as simple as pulling the hose.I find this to be no more difficult than pushing a button.Either way it still only requires one hand.No major extra task there.
As for oral inflation...I see no need.If someone is OOA we will be making an ascent and dumping air,not inflating.
I think most discussions of this nature basically come down to preference and comfort.This can vary greatly between individuals.

As for oral inflation...I see no need. If someone is OOA we will be making an ascent and dumping air,not inflating.

Consider the scenario where it's you that's OOA, and you need to establish substantial positive buoyancy at the surface. Also consider if you're OOA or had to disconnect the LP host due to a free-flowing octo, insufficiently buoyant, and near panic. Someone's going to need to orally inflate that BC, and you better hope he knows how to do it with an octo/inflator. If he's your buddy, you presumably briefed him - but if he's not...

Yes, I realize that if you're OOA and properly weighted, you'll be neutral to slightly positive. Personally, I don't want to have to struggle to keep my airway above the surface chop while myself or someone else is doing an oral inflation.

This isn't a hypothetical situation. I've had to do an oral inflate at the surface using one, and it's not something that I care to repeat.

Back
Top Bottom