Oceanlog 2.1.8 SAC calculation problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an FYI, Scubase just released version 4.9 to be compatible with Oceanlog 2.2.0 export files.

As promised, I have my full list of annoyances with OceanLog and its interface. I've included my previous complaints as well so they are all in one place.

First, the bugs I found in 2.2.0:

1) Switching between metric and imperial still displays nonsense for the tank in the units you did not enter it in. This is due to the way tanks are referred to in metric and imperial. I think I explained this above, but if it doesn't make sense, please ask.

2) Entering tank data (pressures and volume) and "Memo" on the first screen, then swapping to, for instance, the gear list, and then moving to the next dive loses the information entered on the first screen. The window asking "Save dive data?" does not pop up.

3) The Prior Surface interval is incorrect on every dive I noticed. A surface interval of 1h 31m appears as just 00:01

Now the annoyances:

1) Getting new dives downloaded is very clunky. I have to go to dives, then click "+" (which is NOT intuitive) and then a completely new dialog pops up closing the previous one, as I recall. There should be a menu entry under "File" or something like that to download new dives. As it is, it is almost hidden away.

2) Dive and Dive Details in the menu bar don't accurately describe what they are. One is the details or the summary (the one labeled "Dive") and the other is the graph or "Dive Data" perhaps. Please re-think the names of these things. I'd suggest "Dive Summary" and "Dive Data." I'm constantly clicking on the wrong thing.

3) In "Dive", the Location should restrict the Dive Site pulldown. If I've told OL that I was diving in Key Largo, I don't need to select from a list of sites that includes dive sites in Thailand.

4) Same comment for boats and operators and if I have only entered one boat for an op, it should come up automatically.

5) I would like to see my average SAC under "History"

6) Although I can query on my SAC under Queries, it doesn't display it in the resulting list. (I want to figure out my average SAC for dives deeper than 40').

7) What is "Highlights" on the "Location" page? How is that different than "Memo" on the first page? For me, it sure isn't.

8) Speaking of the "Memo" box, it is way too small. As I understand the program, this is where I am supposed to give my notes on the dive, what I saw, what I did, etc. I can only see two lines of this at a time since the box is so small.

9) Metric/Imperial is an all or nothing choice. I understand that what the computer measures is in one set of units (a mistake in itself, but outside the scope of Oceanlog), but if I want to have depths and temps recorded in metric, enter pressure in PSI, and enter my weight in pounds I should be able to. Or any combination of the above.

10) In the various drop down menus, it would be nice to be able to "spell" so that typing s-p quickly will bring up "Speigel Grove" as opposed to first showing "Sand" and then "Port"

11) The drop down for dive # always starts at dive #1 even though chances are I'm wanting to edit/review my most recent dives. Now I have to scroll through 120 dives to get to the end. I suspect this is going to get really annoying later.

12) The stupid alert box when switching dives "Do you want to save?" Well, considering that there was nothing there when I started, yeah, probably. I can see asking this for changing pre-existing info, but not for new entries. PLUS, the noise it makes is the "you screwed up and made an error" noise, not a friendly "just asking" noise. It makes me jump every time the computer goes "bong."

13) The Gear and Weighting page would benefit greatly from a "Same as the last dive" button rather than having to select a gear setup, change what needs to be changed, and re-entering the weight every single time.

I apologize for the tone of this report if it's harsh in some places, but these are things I find annoying in the current software and I think it could be pretty easily improved.

Thanks for listening,

Eric

ocpaul, you said you have to do some "manual massaging" of the export file before importing it into Scubase? Can you elaborate on that? What kind of massaging?

NJMike, you can read about what "manual messaging" was needed in my post HERE. But it is no longer neccessary with the latest version of Scubase 4.9 which has been modified to work with Oceanlog 2.2.0. export files.

Okay, I will have to upgrade Oceanlog, then Scubase, and see if I can get my last two dives in.

Thanks.

Found one other annoyance and one outright bug on the screen where you check which dives to download.

The annoyance is that as you click on the dives, they "expand downwards", requiring me to scroll a bit at a time to check all the dives (or have the forsight to start from the bottom). The bug is that moving the mousewheel scrolls that list in the opposite direction of every other program.

Thats probably not neccessary from Oceanic's side. It's their text output, they have the right to put it in whatever format they want.

The fact that it messes up a 3rd party app isn't neccessarily Oceanic's issue, it's the 3rd party app's responsibiliity to adjust, imho.

Normally I would agree with a statement like this. However, since Oceanic does
not provide a way to import one of their own text export files, the export function
has to be assumed to be primarily for the benefit of 3rd parties rather than Oceanic.

--- bill

Another bug:

Take two sets of dives, A1-6 and B1-2. Dive A1 has a bottom time of 10 minutes. Same with A2. B1 has a bottom time of 30 minutes. B2 is 37 minutes. The rest don't matter.

In the dive downloader, download dives A1-6. Then without leaving the downloader download dives B1-2.

Go back to the main app and check out the dives. A1 has a bottom time of 30 minutes. A2 has 37 minutes. A2-6 are correct. B1 & B2 have dive times of 0 minutes.

I didn't keep the dives around to see which bits of data from one dive were mistakenly associated with the other, it could have been the entire dive profile. I deleted the dives and went back and redownloaded A1,2,B1,2 and they are now OK.

I also note that there have been a lot of bugs reported here and no release for 4 months.

What's causing the screwy results with the dive location and dive site?

It's so convoluted I can't even begin to explain it.

the K

Back
Top Bottom