Oceanic Zeta CDX-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pro99line

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I found that I can get an Oceanic Zeta CDX-5 for under 300 on the web at http://www.divers-supply.com but I do not think they are an authorized dealer. After reading some things on scuba board about this reg I have been worried about buying it. It appears that it is expensive to service since it is a servo design. Also they said it takes some time to get used to breathing with it. Any thoughts about this reg from people that have used them?

The Zeta is an incredibly good breather....yes it can be expensive to service, but you should be getting all your service parts under a life time warranty. If this is not an authorised dealer, you do not get life time warrenty on it so be very careful.

Your lifetime warranty can save you up lots of money over the years so it would be worth paying the extra to go through an authorised dealer.

Also, the Zeta MUST have a specific mouthpeice that 'twitches' when you put the system under preassure. Without this mouthpeice, the regulator will free flow. It is a good idea therefore, that when u order this reg order some spare m/peices at the same time.

I have a zeta and I love the way it breathes. I do get some stares and "what the heck is that?" type questions since I'm a big guy and the second stage is so tiny. :wink:

Go through an authorized dealer and you won't have to worry as much about cost of servicing.

Scuba.com is an authorized dealer and has it for $259.95

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=35&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=033530

JKSteger:
Divers Supply is VERY MUCH an Authorized Dealer.

Jeremy

I did not see the authorized dealer sybol on their site. The Oceanic site states they must display that and if not then they are not authorized. Sorry I am made a mistake.

pro99line:
I did not see the authorized dealer sybol on their site. The Oceanic site states they must display that and if not then they are not authorized. Sorry I am made a mistake.

Yes Oceanic says they must have that logo on their website, but not every dealer wants to go filling up their website with Oceanic logos. I can't blame them.

If you look at the DEALER LOCATOR on Oceanics website, you'll see that Diver Supply is an authorized Oceanic Dealer though.

see http://www.buyoceanic.com/locator/results.aspx?zip=31210

The Zeta is an incredibly good breather....yes it can be expensive to service, but you should be getting all your service parts under a life time warranty. If this is not an authorised dealer, you do not get life time warrenty on it so be very careful.

Your lifetime warranty can save you up lots of money over the years so it would be worth paying the extra to go through an authorised dealer.

Also, the Zeta MUST have a specific mouthpeice that 'twitches' when you put the system under preassure. Without this mouthpeice, the regulator will free flow. It is a good idea therefore, that when u order this reg order some spare m/peices at the same time.

A mouthpiece that "twiches" *** are you talking about. I have owned a zeta/dx4 combo for over 6 years....150 plus dives, and have changed out mouthpieces sevaral times just for grins and while having some dental work that precluded their long "orthodontic" style mouthpiece. I find your advice and comments strange. PS. Lifetime "parts" is the the biggest shell game in the business. A master instructor should know this....

my clem you are an obnoxious little man arnt you. I suggest that if you do not wish things to get personal, you don't start putting personal comments as above on the site. There again courtesy in this day and age is long gone.

As for the mouthpeice, if you can find your manual i suggest you read it. You will find what is suggested written in there. Secondly the life time warranty is valid and useful unless you chose not to service your regulators.

my clem you are an obnoxious little man arnt you. I suggest that if you do not wish things to get personal, you don't start putting personal comments as above on the site. There again courtesy in this day and age is long gone.

As for the mouthpeice, if you can find your manual i suggest you read it. You will find what is suggested written in there. Secondly the life time warranty is valid and useful unless you chose not to service your regulators.

Whoa there, John Bull...I have both oceanic manual and zeta REPAIR manual. PLease reply with page and paragraph that says ANYTHING about" mouthpiece twitching". Your reply was snide. As an LDS owner you have a responsibility to provide accurate information. Please show me and the readers of this forum where you get this inaccurate "mouthpiece twitching" idiocy. Also please show the math that proves that paying LDS prices for a reg just to get a "lifetime supply" of 10 dollars worth of o-rings and seats makes any fiscal sense. BUY as cheap as you can from wherever and use the savings to buy the parts kits...But then again try finding an LDS that can/will work on a discontinued reg.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom