Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Battery Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @ibj40

I have also had some correspondence with Kennedy recently regarding questions I had about Oceanic+. She was very responsive.

Not that I think she would not be accurate, but I would probably check directly with service rather than customer assistance. She may be correct, but you are really looking at replacement rather than service. I would imagine that it all depends on whether they have any more new or refurbished PP2s. Nothing to lose

The PP2 still shows up on the product list on the Huish return portal
1672934278106.png

I would request an RMA and see what happens
1672934645617.png

Hi @ibj40

I have also had some correspondence with Kennedy recently regarding questions I had about Oceanic+. She was very responsive.

Not that I think she would not be accurate, but I would probably check directly with service rather than customer assistance. She may be correct, but you are really looking at replacement rather than service. I would imagine that it all depends on whether they have any more new or refurbished PP2s. Nothing to lose

The PP2 still shows up on the product list on the Huish return portal
View attachment 762484

I would request an RMA and see what happens
View attachment 762485

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that.
Let us know how it works out. I have a 2.1 on my wife's rig I wouldn't mind upgrading

Let us know how it works out. I have a 2.1 on my wife's rig I wouldn't mind upgrading

"We can offer our trade in and trade up for 20% off of a new unit!
You can claim this through your local Oceanid dealer or through us directly. The Pro Plus 4.0 is a great option and has bluetooth!
Discount price With Quick Disconnect: $703.95 + tax and shipping
Discount price Without Quick Disconnect: $583.96
"

That's where we stand.

We have a four foot deep above ground pool, and I have sunk the computer in it, and will leave it for an hour.

We have a pool refresher session scheduled in early February, and if the computer survives the above ground pool test, then I will take it to the Olympic depth pool in February.

If the computer survives the Olympic pool test, we will take it, along with a backup SPG/Depth Guage console (and appropriately sized open-end wrenches) on our next dive trip.

Thanks for all the input, and I'll let you know how each "test" goes.

@ibj40 for that cost I'll get her a used perdix AI and use that as my backup since she only dives when it's warm here in the PNW. PP2 with quick disconnect hose will stay on my SAD kit as a reserve. Oh whale

Hi @ibj40

Is that what you heard back when you submitted the RMA? If so, that is a shame that the replacement program ended, it was a great deal.

For the amount of money listed, I would buy a new computer rather than stick with an Oceanic console.

Hi @ibj40

Is that what you heard back when you submitted the RMA? If so, that is a shame that the replacement program ended, it was a great deal.

For the amount of money listed, I would buy a new computer rather than stick with an Oceanic console.

I'm 72, and plan on diving maybe another 5-7 years.

Can't amortize a $750 dive computer on two dive trips a year.

Would love to find a used/refurbished PP2, but once bitten, twice shy.

Thanks!

I'm 72, and plan on diving maybe another 5-7 years.

Can't amortize a $750 dive computer on two dive trips a year.

Would love to find a used/refurbished PP2, but once bitten, twice shy.

Thanks!
Maybe your Pro Plus 2 will not flood and you will be good. If not, you have several choices. With the 20% Oceanic discount, you could get a Geo Air and transmitter for $640. I, and now my son, dives a Geo 2 as backup, it's a very nice computer. You could buy and inexpensive Mares computer and match the one your wife dives. You could simply shop for a new computer of your choice.

Good luck.

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but my situation is nearly identical to this one.

After not diving for about two years, my wife and I finally booked our first dive trip since I retired in April 2020.

To prepare for the trip, we took both of our rigs to the dive shop we’ve been using for almost a decade.

Since our computers had been sitting for two years, I bought battery kits for each one (her Mares Puck, my Oceanic Pro Plus 2).

When I say kits, I mean factory battery, o-ring, and in my case, four new screws.

Both computers were in a separate plastic bag with the battery kits.

When the dive shop called us, they said that the rigs were serviced and only one of the computers had a new battery. They said they couldn’t find the kit for mine. I informed them that I had shown them both computers and both kits when I brought them in.

It’s about an hour drive from us to the dive shop and we told them we’d be there the next morning.

When we showed up, lo and behold, my battery kit had mysteriously appeared. They farm out equipment repair and had found the kit right were it was supposed to be, and apologized for the oversight.

The battery strength indicator showed 100%, so we decided to dive it the way it was.

My computer performed perfectly during the first two dives, and was counting down when the dive shop hung it up in our locker to dry after all our gear was rinsed.

My computer is on a quick disconnect and yes, I should have taken it back with us, although I don’t think that would have influenced the outcome.

When we got to the boat the next morning, once I got my rig set up on the first tank, I turned on my computer and it was dead.

My first impression was that somehow the computer had stayed in contact with wet or damp gear overnight and discharged.

We swapped it out for a loaner console and completed the second day of diving.

Once we got got home, I opened the battery compartment and, sure enough, it had leaked.

Interestingly, as I was removing the four screws, two came right out and two loosened but wouldn’t run all the way out.

As an aside, I owned, maintained, built and raced cars from the early 70’s through the mid 90’s. I know righty righty/lefty loosey.

I cleaned up the compartment, and stuck a battery in and the computer fired right up.

I subsequently got the battery kit that the dive shop had overlooked and did a full install.

As I was tightening the four screws, two will pull fully down, however the other two will not.

I’m convinced, since this was the first time I had serviced the computer, that at some point in time, someone else over tightened the screws and stripped two of them.

By the way, Oceanic will no longer service the “obsolete” Pro Plus 2.

After this explanation, and I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but for those who have more experience with things like this, with two screws that won’t pull down, what is the likelihood of another leaking failure?

Thanks!
Which screws tighten? If they are diagonal then you are likely good to go. If they are on 1 side then it is highly likely the door will not seat properly and it will leak.

From the pic early in the thread it looks like the screws go into metal inserts as opposed to plastic. Is the metal insert stripped or lose? Should be easy to determine via visual inspection or inserting the screw without the door.

Regardless, since the computer is end of life and can be considered "almost scrap" you have nothing to lose by trying alternate replacement inserts / screws.

How long does the battery last? Worst case would be to glue the door shut and toss the computer when the battery goes dead...

Remove the o-ring and use RTV 732 or RTV 157 in its place if you want to ensure a long sealed life. Use the screws and run a zip tie around the body to hold it in place while the rtv cures (24 hours). The battery door is now mostly permanent. I use both of those RTV in aviation electronics repairs to maintain an environmental seal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom