Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Battery Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving406

New
Reaction score
Hi, I joined this forum recently and have used it as a great source. Thank you.

This is my first post.

I went to replace the battery on my dive computer and discovered the battery leaked and has corroded the compartment. I purchased the computer 2nd hand from the original owner, no idea how long this battery has been installed.

A couple questions:

Can this be cleaned? How?
Should I send it in?
Is this common?

Thanks for all your help.

7BF8E0C0-0BDA-4208-9C27-CABD116AF847.jpeg

IIRC, those are lithium batteries. They aren’t prone to leaking like an alkaline. May have leaked past the o ring, which then destroyed the battery.

Regardless, the battery is fairly cheap. I’d start by cleaning it up real well with electronics cleaner, and a soft toothbrush. Then pop in a new battery. If it works, swap out the o ring and give it a shot.

I would think the battery compartment leaked. Clean it up, try a new battery and O-ring, what do you have to lose?

my non-professional opinion is that is an o-ring leak, not a battery leak. No harm in cleaning it up , putting a new battery in an hoping for the best. I'd very carefully check the o-ring sealing surfaces to make sure they weren't damaged by corrosion

Agree with the above, mostly. O-ring, not battery leak. The battery compartment is sealed, but really bad corrosiion can ruin the battery contacts. Use a 50-50 white-vinegar/water mixture with a soft toothbrush and gently try and clean it all out. Be careful of the battery contacts: if they are weakened, you can easily ruin/break them. Electronic contact cleaner might work, but get a good one, which is expensive, like DeOxIt Gold; I'd use the Gold after cleaning with vinegar anyway, to give some extra protection. Definitely a new o-ring. And, Yes, be gentle with the o-ring sealing surfaces....they are essential. The Huish/Oceanic service price is $175 plus shipping, IF they have the parts for this older computer (I assume this is a ProPlus 2). I'd try and fix what you have, or just get a new computer.

Thanks everybody. I'm going to clean it all up as suggested, replace the o-ring and submerge it for a time to ensure it's water tight.

Oceanic was great on the phone, they will replace it for $175 with a Pro Plus 2.1 but unfortunately it will not meet my timeline (diving trip in 2 weeks).

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but my situation is nearly identical to this one.

After not diving for about two years, my wife and I finally booked our first dive trip since I retired in April 2020.

To prepare for the trip, we took both of our rigs to the dive shop we’ve been using for almost a decade.

Since our computers had been sitting for two years, I bought battery kits for each one (her Mares Puck, my Oceanic Pro Plus 2).

When I say kits, I mean factory battery, o-ring, and in my case, four new screws.

Both computers were in a separate plastic bag with the battery kits.

When the dive shop called us, they said that the rigs were serviced and only one of the computers had a new battery. They said they couldn’t find the kit for mine. I informed them that I had shown them both computers and both kits when I brought them in.

It’s about an hour drive from us to the dive shop and we told them we’d be there the next morning.

When we showed up, lo and behold, my battery kit had mysteriously appeared. They farm out equipment repair and had found the kit right were it was supposed to be, and apologized for the oversight.

The battery strength indicator showed 100%, so we decided to dive it the way it was.

My computer performed perfectly during the first two dives, and was counting down when the dive shop hung it up in our locker to dry after all our gear was rinsed.

My computer is on a quick disconnect and yes, I should have taken it back with us, although I don’t think that would have influenced the outcome.

When we got to the boat the next morning, once I got my rig set up on the first tank, I turned on my computer and it was dead.

My first impression was that somehow the computer had stayed in contact with wet or damp gear overnight and discharged.

We swapped it out for a loaner console and completed the second day of diving.

Once we got got home, I opened the battery compartment and, sure enough, it had leaked.

Interestingly, as I was removing the four screws, two came right out and two loosened but wouldn’t run all the way out.

As an aside, I owned, maintained, built and raced cars from the early 70’s through the mid 90’s. I know righty righty/lefty loosey.

I cleaned up the compartment, and stuck a battery in and the computer fired right up.

I subsequently got the battery kit that the dive shop had overlooked and did a full install.

As I was tightening the four screws, two will pull fully down, however the other two will not.

I’m convinced, since this was the first time I had serviced the computer, that at some point in time, someone else over tightened the screws and stripped two of them.

By the way, Oceanic will no longer service the “obsolete” Pro Plus 2.

After this explanation, and I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but for those who have more experience with things like this, with two screws that won’t pull down, what is the likelihood of another leaking failure?

Thanks!

Don't know the answer, but I wonder if you can drop a tiny bit of epoxy in the stripped holes and then screw it down?

Hi @ibj40

My family has three Pro Plus 2s, two purchased in 2002 and one in 2004. All three were eventually replaced by Oceanic/Huish for $175 each, two in 2017 and one in 2019, All currently work fine and two are in use, with one backup.

Two failed due to malfunction of the pressure sensor, the third because the battery compartment could not be opened, by me or my them. I have never been fond of the 4-screw battery door of this computer.

I guess you have little to lose by trying to secure the battery door and diving it again, you might get lucky. However, the battery door is broken, and the unit really should be replaced. Oceanic still lists the Pro Plus 2 as having limited availability. It was listed that way as far back as during my replacements in 2017.
1672930943175.png

If you are considering keeping the Pro Plus 2, rather than obtaining a new computer, you could contact Huish through their return portal to check whether replacement is still available

I have had great service through Oceanic/Huish over the years and have had the 3 Pro Plus 2s, a compass module, and 2 AI transmitters replaced for a fraction of the new cost.

My wife and daughter love their Pro Plus 2s, best of luck with yours.

Hi @ibj40

My family has three Pro Plus 2s, two purchased in 2002 and one in 2004. All three were eventually replaced by Oceanic/Huish for $175 each, two in 2017 and one in 2019, All currently work fine and two are in use, with one backup.

Two failed due to malfunction of the pressure sensor, the third because the battery compartment could not be opened, by me or my them. I have never been fond of the 4-screw battery door of this computer.

I guess you have little to lose by trying to secure the battery door and diving it again, you might get lucky. However, the battery door is broken, and the unit really should be replaced. Oceanic still lists the Pro Plus 2 as having limited availability. It was listed that way as far back as during my replacements in 2017.
View attachment 762475

If you are considering keeping the Pro Plus 2, rather than obtaining a new computer, you could contact Huish through their return portal to check whether replacement is still available

I have had great service through Oceanic/Huish over the years and have had the 3 Pro Plus 2s, a compass module, and 2 AI transmitters replaced for a fraction of the new cost.

My wife and daughter love their Pro Plus 2s, best of luck with yours.
It appears that I might be a day late and a dollar short.

This is what I got just two days ago from Huish:

Kennedy Bailey <kennedy.bailey@huishoutdoors.com>​

Tue, Jan 3, 3:12 PM (2 days ago)
to me

Hello, thank you for reaching out.
Unfortunately the Pro Plus 2 is obsolete and no longer serviceable. We no longer have the parts available to service these units.
Kindly,
Kennedy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom