oceanic OC1 flooded... need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then write the letter yourself.

Sounds like you need a lawyer friend to craft a letter that says, in effect, "you repaired by dive computer without prior authorization to do so, in conflict with existing statutes, and in good faith I have offered you $300 for your effort, which you have rejected. This matter is now closed. Please address any further correspondence to my attorney, XXX."
no lawyer required in Canada. You are free to walk away. You asked for an estimate. They decided to ignore your request and did some work, that you did not ask for. They made a mistake. They own it. It is their problem, not yours.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/your-rights-under-consumer-protection-act

Those are the Ontario consumer protection laws, so they don't apply to me. But they should be similar to QC or Albertan laws... Québec offers a call in service to ask questions about consumer protection, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Michael

I don't want to get into the discussion if the service center acted correctly or not or advise you about how to proceed. From a technical perspective, most likely the service center replaced the entire electronic module of your OC1. We have opened several flooded computers and, unless the battery compartment is separated from the electronics (which is not the case of the OC1), the electronic module can't be repaired once salt water gets to it. The only solution is to install a new module. The OC1 is a discontinued model and Oceanic is the only one having the required part. Having said that, I feel sympathetic towards your situation because I personally own an OC1 and I believe is a very well designed dive computer. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom