oceanic OC1 flooded... need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michael Friesen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,
I have been reading threads on here for a while, never saw the need to sign up till now.

My oc1 computer had one of its buttons unscrew and it flooded this summer while I was working (I worked as a scientific diver). I managed to buy a used oceanic BUD over the summer for cheap so that I could keep diving. I sent the OC1 in for an estimate... and two months after (this week) I received it back fixed, with a bill (440cad$) even if I never accepted any repairs. Being a student, that bill is a little too salty for me and my budget won't allow it.
So since I didn't receive/accept any estimate I called the Oceanic representative and managed to make him agree to cancel the bill if they take back the computer and places the original parts back in. Which leaves me with a transmitter I could try selling. Or I could pay the 440$ with my credit card and try selling it as a kit for a higher amount.

Basically I am asking: are oceanic transmitters easy to sell as a standalone? or do you think the set would sell quicker? Or should I try counting my pennies to get to the 440$ and keep the computer (although I find the whole unscrewing button to be a big design flaw).

Thanks in advance!
Michael!
PS: The oceanic representative hasn't been the most accomodating guy, in fact my local store stopped doing business with Oceanic because of their attitude towards him, my OC1 was the final drop. If I could just pay for the repair and sell the kit as a whole, it would save me from having to deal with him.

In the U.S., I think you would have been perfectly in your rights as a consumer to keep it and tell them to eat the bill. Dunno about Canada, though. Taking two months, then doing the work without getting permission first, then trying to charge me a ridiculous amount for it would really chap me. I might offer to pay them some amount for the repair, but not $440 (even Cdn). If they were jerks about it, I would pay nothing and keep the computer. No way I'd let them have the computer back. That's for sure.

Anyway, the transmitters seem to be pretty easy to sell, if priced right. Slow to sell if priced higher. There was one on here in the last few days that was posted for $175 and I think it sold within an hour. If I had seen it sooner, I would have bought it. So, if you do decide to sell it, feel free to send me a PM. I definitely have my eye out to get one to go with my new Hollis TX-1.

ps. If you already sent it back, another option would be to just look out for and buy another Oceanic or Aeris computer that will work with your existing transmitter. You can very likely pick up a used Atom 3.0 or 3.1 for a fair bit less than Cdn$440. I think that transmitter will work with any Aeris, Oceanic, or Hollis computer that supports air integration. I have an Atom 3.0 and the transmitter that came with it works with my Hollis.

who has the computer at this point?

I am assuming 1 of 2 situations:
#1: you paid the bill and are holding a working computer (oops)
#2: the LDS is holding the computer and you have not paid the bill

Canada has consumer protection acts, for QC:Légis Québec

They performed unauthorized repairs and are trying to stick you with the bill. There is no way the service depot has your old parts, so sending it back to get unfixed is a fantasy.

Do some research and learn about your rights - this is not a scuba specific situation. The same thing happens all the time with car repairs...

I have the computer (functionning) and an unpaid bill. Ya, I did look up the laws, both for QC (where I am from) and for AB (where oceanic is located). From what I understood of the law is that they have the right to ask me to send the computer back to them so that they can revert it to its original state with the original parts (all at their charge). But this is just my personal interpretation.

As with many complaints on ScubaBoard, I have learned to resist assuming the OP is 100% accurate and complete in his story. What was the actual discussion when you sent it in? Is there paperwork about that? Is there anyway at all that COeanic might have interpreted your query as an actual request to repair? You say, you sent it in for an estimate, but what did you actually say with the paperwork sending it in? You may think you were asking for an estimate, they may think otherwise.

You have the computer. You are currently on top in the wrestling match. Offer them your BUD as payment.

I do have the paperwork that was sent with the computer. I didn't send it, my retailer did. He is french, so his english is broken. even so, I think it is pretty clear that an estimate was requested.

"Hello ****,
Here's an OC1 computer for repair.
Light button unscrewed, flooded.
Please, confirm the repair cost before.
Thank you,"
We also spoke on the phone before this was sent, and I also did request them to send me an estimate at that time also. no other conversation happened until I received the computer.
Furthermore, according to quebec laws, no repairs of an electronic costing over 50$ will begin before a written estimate is signed by the customer. Obtenir une évaluation écrite – Appareil électronique

A similar law exist for Alberta, altough it says computer and not electronic (might be in a gray zone here). Laws of both provinces apply either if the customer or the provider lives in either area.

BTW the no trust policy is a great one to have!

I did offer to pay what I thought the repair was worth: 300$, they said no.
Sounds like you need a lawyer friend to craft a letter that says, in effect, "you repaired by dive computer without prior authorization to do so, in conflict with existing statutes, and in good faith I have offered you $300 for your effort, which you have rejected. This matter is now closed. Please address any further correspondence to my attorney, XXX."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom