Oceanic Geo 2 dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you are completely sure it is 'fixed' then I don't see it reasonable to sell as 'working'! Also if you think it has an intermittent fault you should claim on warranty. Oceanic must take seriously an intermittent fault and not fob you off, the warranty comment is more for the returns due to operator not knowing how to use or change the battery. In your first post you say "since day 1 its had an issue with the light making the screen flip out" send it back, don't sell it.

Unless you are completely sure it is 'fixed' then I don't see it reasonable to sell as 'working'! Also if you think it has an intermittent fault you should claim on warranty. Oceanic must take seriously an intermittent fault and not fob you off, the warranty comment is more for the returns due to operator not knowing how to use or change the battery. In your first post you say "since day 1 its had an issue with the light making the screen flip out" send it back, don't sell it.
the light making the screen flip out is usually a voltage issue meaning the battery is on its way out but it never said low battery.

I dove with it today alongside the perdix oh man thats a nice unit!!!!! screen is huge and so easy to read.
side by side the Geo 2 and perdix were EXACTLY the same depth and time elapsed the water temp was 1*F different but nothing Id be concened about. the NDL was different but not surprising. The perdix out of the box was not as liberal as the geo 2 but google says oceanic is known for that, and google knows everything.
Im going to dive it a dozen or so times before I decide what to do with it but Im really leaning toward just keeping it for a spare/backup/2nd computer.

thanks for everyones help and input!

cheers
Kent

The perdix out of the box was not as liberal as the geo 2 but google says oceanic is known for that, and google knows everything.
Im going to dive it a dozen or so times before I decide what to do with it but Im really leaning toward just keeping it for a spare/backup/2nd computer.

cheers
Kent

To make the Perdix as liberal as the Geo, you would have to set it to something like GF95/95. Some might say GF45/95, but for non-deco dives, it's really the GF Hi that matters so 45 vs 95 for the GF Lo doesn't really matter.

I have dived the Shearwater (Petrel) + Atom (basically, same as Geo - i.e. using DSAT algorithm) comb a number of times.

The system I arrived at for myself to use is that I will stay down for as long as the Atom NDL allows me. That could easily put the Perdix/Petrel into deco. Especially with the default Medium Conservatism setting. Then I will do my ascent, doing any stops that the Petrel/Perdix calls for, including a 3 - 5 minute stop between 15 and 20 feet. Normally, the result of this approach is that, at most, the Petrel/Perdix calls for a stop at 20' that is no longer than what I would do as a safety stop anyway. But, if it's 6 minutes instead of 5 or whatever, it's no big deal - and it eliminates any guessing.

This results in what I think is a very safe dive with maximum bottom time. And I know that, by not exceeding the NDL on the Atom, I CAN always go straight to the surface, if I need to. And I can also get back on the boat and say truthfully that I did not exceed the NDL of my Atom. Some boats do not want people going into deco, so having my Atom show that I did not go into deco may or may not turn out to be important.

To make the Perdix as liberal as the Geo, you would have to set it to something like GF95/95. Some might say GF45/95, but for non-deco dives, it's really the GF Hi that matters so 45 vs 95 for the GF Lo doesn't really matter.

Get multi deco out and enter a dive of 30m 15 minutes on air. Plan it on 95/95 and it is a no stop dive. Plan it on 45/95 and it has a first stop at 9m.

Do the mental experiment, when does the first stop happen in a GF plan? When the leading tissue hits GF low. How can a no stop dive exceed GF low? So GF low determines the no stop limit.

I don't really know what GF means or does.....well I know what it stands for and basically what it does. But no where near enough to start tinkering with it.
More reading!!!!

I'm still just open water so I'm not deep enough to worry about deco as I usually run out of air with NDL time left. I'm trying to convince my only dive buddy to do AOW in March with me we both want to go deeper and agree the first handful of times at least we go deeper we want someone real close who knows what narcosis feels like.(he's just cheap)

Get multi deco out and enter a dive of 30m 15 minutes on air. Plan it on 95/95 and it is a no stop dive. Plan it on 45/95 and it has a first stop at 9m.

Do the mental experiment, when does the first stop happen in a GF plan? When the leading tissue hits GF low. How can a no stop dive exceed GF low? So GF low determines the no stop limit.
Hi Ken

Implementation of Buhlmann ZH-L16C may vary between software planning applications and dive computer planning and diving. My experience with MultiDeco mirrors yours. This software is specifically designed for decompression rather than recreational diving. My Dive Rite Nitek Q computer does not take GF lo into account if you will be surfacing within the GF hi for a no stop dive. Thus, planning for GF 45/95 looks exactly like 95/95. GF lo does not kick in until you are in deco. After exceeding deco, appropriate stops for chosen GF lo are given. I do not know how the Perdix works, someone with it can let us know

the light making the screen flip out is usually a voltage issue meaning the battery is on its way out but it never said low battery.

I dove with it today alongside the perdix oh man thats a nice unit!!!!! screen is huge and so easy to read.
side by side the Geo 2 and perdix were EXACTLY the same depth and time elapsed the water temp was 1*F different but nothing Id be concened about. the NDL was different but not surprising. The perdix out of the box was not as liberal as the geo 2 but google says oceanic is known for that, and google knows everything.

cheers
Kent

I have dived the Shearwater (Petrel) + Atom (basically, same as Geo - i.e. using DSAT algorithm) comb a number of times.

The system I arrived at for myself to use is that I will stay down for as long as the Atom NDL allows me. That could easily put the Perdix/Petrel into deco. Especially with the default Medium Conservatism setting. Then I will do my ascent, doing any stops that the Petrel/Perdix calls for, including a 3 - 5 minute stop between 15 and 20 feet. Normally, the result of this approach is that, at most, the Petrel/Perdix calls for a stop at 20' that is no longer than what I would do as a safety stop anyway. But, if it's 6 minutes instead of 5 or whatever, it's no big deal - and it eliminates any guessing.

This results in what I think is a very safe dive with maximum bottom time. And I know that, by not exceeding the NDL on the Atom, I CAN always go straight to the surface, if I need to. And I can also get back on the boat and say truthfully that I did not exceed the NDL of my Atom. Some boats do not want people going into deco, so having my Atom show that I did not go into deco may or may not turn out to be important.

Matching DSAT and Buhlmann ZH-L16C is not quite as easy as it would seem. I now have a fair amount of experience diving an Oceanic VT3 and a Dive Rite Nitek Q, 80 dives. At deep recreational depths, the best match is at GF hi of 100, at intermediate depths, a GF hi of 95, at shallower depths, like 50-60 feet, a GF hi of 90 fits best. I'm a little concerned about the long NDLs at the shallower depth using using the higher GFs. For me, this in not a problem, I have over 1200 dives on DSAT and use that as my controlling limit for now. I'm not exactly sure what I would do if I was using a Buhlmann computer as my primary. I'll continue to dive both of these computers to gain additional experience. I'd be very interested to hear from Shearwater divers with similar NDL comparisons.

How are you going to dive your Perdix, on rec mode medium or low conservancy? I would learn more about Buhlmann and GFs. There are articles available online and Shearwater has good articles on their website.

Best of luck, good diving,

Craig

Last edited:
How are you going to dive your Perdix, on rec mode medium or low conservancy? I would learn more about Buhlmann and GFs. There are articles available online and Shearwater has good articles on their website.

Best of luck, good diving,

Craig

I don't really know what would be optimum for me to be honest. I'll probably stick to med. for the time being, I'm very active, still young (30 in a couple weeks) I don't smoke ect. So I could probably dive low as well without a problem but at my skill level and I only do single dives (I have 2 tanks but haven't done a 2 tank day yet apart from my OW class dives ) i haven't really come anywhere close to NDL times although that was all on the geo 2 I'll see where I'm at with the perdix since I'll have both on.

Learning more is the plan. I like to read as well.

cheers
Kent

I don't really know what GF means or does.....well I know what it stands for and basically what it does. But no where near enough to start tinkering with it.
More reading!!!!

I'm still just open water so I'm not deep enough to worry about deco as I usually run out of air with NDL time left. I'm trying to convince my only dive buddy to do AOW in March with me we both want to go deeper and agree the first handful of times at least we go deeper we want someone real close who knows what narcosis feels like.(he's just cheap)

Hi @KentB

If you don't know what GF is, how are you going to dive your new computer? Are you simply going to dive in rec mode at med or low conservancy? Which computer will control your dive, the Perdix or the Geo2? What will you do if one or the other puts you into deco? Learn more about the Buhlmann algorithm, there are many basic articles available online. Shearwater has several nice article

Hi @KentB

If you don't know what GF is, how are you going to dive your new computer? Are you simply going to dive in rec mode at med or low conservancy? Which computer will control your dive, the Perdix or the Geo2? What will you do if one or the other puts you into deco? Learn more about the Buhlmann algorithm, there are many basic articles available online. Shearwater has several nice article
we posted within min of each other but these were all answered above. and some of them were answered the first time you asked them when you quoted it.......
but yes until I fully understand what changes do and what the outcome is I wont be playing with it too much.
ill use the Perdix for the primary, deco is a ways away for me........... Ive acknowledged I need to and will read up on it. its far more computer than I probably will ever need but I liked it and what the hell its only money I got my whole life to earn it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom