Oceanic Geo 2 dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys

I just started diving last year got my open water in March 2016 and its been fun so far. the dive computer was purchased first week of March 2016

I have a Oceanic Geo 2 that I bought new and basically since day 1 its had an issue with the light making the screen flip out, usually a sign of a dying battery but no low battery flashing and it would always go into dive mode and I don't use the light so never really cared to look into it.
however yesterday I went for a dive at a shallow site max depth was 40'.
when I got home I noticed the screen was totally off, so i opened the back and it looks like the battery has leaked a bit. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and went today and bought a new battery ( energizer) and the screen lights up enough to know its powered but its completely un readable.
Ive emailed Oceanic 3 times now over the 10 months Ive had the watch about the light issue and no response Ive come to the conclusion their customer support center is useless. If my customer service was half as bad as theirs my business would be done with. In my opinion it should be covered under warranty since its under their 2 year warranty but I can also see them saying its the batteries fault not theirs sorry for your luck.

So Im not impressed with their customer service however i liked the computer and how it worked.
basically Im wondering did I just get a lemon or are they just POS???

Im leaning toward buying a new computer and when this one is resolved or thrown in the garbage depending on what they say.

any good reccomendations on computers around the same price point? $400-i could probably push $800 for a good deal. CAD $$$$

Currently Im just open water with plans to do my advanced in the next few months. I don't currently dive nitrox but want a computer capable of it. wrist computer is a MUST.
Im sure there are lots of threads about this but Im clueless as to what is good bang for your buck vs whats just a good name brand that your paying for.

thanks in advance guys
Kent

Did you take the wonky Geo back to where you bought it, to see if they could assist with contacting Oceanic?

I actually bought it through UBC ( University of British Columbia) where I did my open water. the dive program there gets great reviews but its not their full time jobs so getting ahold of them isn't easy either. Ive emailed them and awaiting a response.
Either way I want a new computer as its prime dive season here and Im not missing out on it due to sending a computer back for warranty. I will sell the geo 2 when/if I get a replacement. a couple more friends are looking at getting into diving from the videos Ive been showing them. so I should be able to sell it no problem
now Im looking online and see that you can get computers that have transmitters for tank pressure as well. little more than I want to spend but thats cool! are they accurate or more of a sales pitch kinda thing? my current pressure gauge is an tusa combo compass and analog tank pressure.
whats this computer like any experience?
Amphos Air Wrist Computer - Complete System - Dive Right in Scuba

I wasn't necessarily buying that one or from them I just found that googling and posted the link.

I try and support local businesses as I own a business as well.
Are the transmitters accurate or just kind of a sales gimmick?
do you have any recommendations on which one?
the perdix looks nice, my LDS is a dealer as well.
the perdix AI is a little steep for me but if the transmitters are accurate Id like my tank pressure on my wrist as well.
the petrel and petrel 2 look much cheaper, and look like they do 10x more than I currently need.

I've had my geo2 for five years with zero issue. It's the best looking nitrox capable non-AI computer you can buy.

If you call tel (800) 435-3483. Or +1 52 510 562 0500 mon to fri 0800 to 0500 pacific time you will be able to talk to a person. Use Skype if making international call. Warranty should be two years or longer. They will work it out with you. Don't email give them a call.

AUP (Aeris, Oceanic, and Hollis) absolutely SUCKS at responding to email. You need to call them.

Or just go here and request a Warranty RMA.

Return Merchandise Authorization | -

You have to create yourself an account and submit a request to get an RMA. You'll need to upload a copy of your original receipt as part of that. Once done, well, it didn't take them very long (same day) to approve my RMA request to return a computer I have for warranty repair.

And, yes, the transmitters used by AUP computers are reliable and accurate. They are made for AUP by PPS and the same transmitters are also used by some other manufacturers, including Shearwater, AquaLung, and, I think, Sherwood.

I've had my geo2 for five years with zero issue. It's the best looking nitrox capable non-AI computer you can buy.

If you call tel (800) 435-3483. Or +1 52 510 562 0500 mon to fri 0800 to 0500 pacific time you will be able to talk to a person. Use Skype if making international call. Warranty should be two years or longer. They will work it out with you. Don't email give them a call.

^ id agree with that from the handful I've seen.

Ive called multiple times and left messages as well and haven't heard back.
Im very impatient, mainly because I know if I don't answer emails or phone calls or messages in a timely fashion esp. when my equipment is down my customers go elsewhere and tell everyone about it.
Im mainly just pissed off this is prime season and I can quickly see it ending or very expensive to continue........

AUP (Aeris, Oceanic, and Hollis) absolutely SUCKS at responding to email. You need to call them.

Or just go here and request a Warranty RMA.

Return Merchandise Authorization | -

You have to create yourself an account and submit a request to get an RMA. You'll need to upload a copy of your original receipt as part of that. Once done, well, it didn't take them very long (same day) to approve my RMA request to return a computer I have for warranty repair.

And, yes, the transmitters used by AUP computers are reliable and accurate. They are made for AUP by PPS and the same transmitters are also used by some other manufacturers, including Shearwater, AquaLung, and, I think, Sherwood.
perfect thank you!
it does say international customers it reccommends to go through the local dealer. maybe tomorrow Ill have calmed down a bit and ill go swing into the LDS if I can get off early enough to make the hour drive before they close

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom