Oceanic Geo 2 dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would dive it a bit as a backup. I would not want to sell a computer that I knew might be flaky. If you disclose it, well, who would buy it? And if you don't disclose it, well, it's just not something I would do. So, the only solution would be to dive it until it either proves solid or proves bad. If it proves bad, you're the original owner, so you're the only one that can get it fixed under warranty.

Further, the problem you described does not sound like something that is just going to go away forever. I would fully expect it to flake out again on another dive, soon. Electronics are somewhat reliable that way. If they have a problem once, they are like to have it again and with increasing frequency.

Either way, congrats on the new Perdix!

QUOTE="KentB, post: 7887475, member: 481961"]=so final question on this geo 2............it seems to work now if it works in dive mode as well (ill take it a handful of times to make sure) do I sell it or keep it as a 2nd or backup?? as much as I like redundancy a couple hundred bucks would be nice as well towards the cost of the perdix....... shearwater is in richmond which is about an hour away so if anything happens to the perdix Im sure it will be resolved quickly.

thanks![/QUOTE]

This is what I was alluding to in my earlier reply by "trust". Even though your Geo currently appears to be working, it hasn't in the past. Personally, I wouldn't trust your Geo to dive with it. What would you (or someone you sold it to) do if it has issues again during a dive or during a dive trip? If/When your Geo acts up again, consider video taping what is occurring with it so that you have evidence if you decide to return to where you purchased it.

In my similar but different situation, I worked with my LDS to have my malfunctioning dive computer replaced and I shortly thereafter purchased a backup dive computer and SPG.

I've heard very good things about Shearwater customer service.

Cheers,

Jim

I would not sell a potentially defective computer. I would dive the Geo2 as a backup to your new computer and see how it behaves. If it works well, you have a good backup, if not, I'd let Oceanic try to make it good, repair or replace.

I've been diving Oceanic computers since 2002, one of the reasons is good previous service, the other is a long history of reliability with my current computers. I initially had 2 Pro Pluses in which the pressure sensors eventually went bad. The computers were well out of warranty and the units could no longer be repaired. Oceanic sent me 2 reconditioned Pro Plus 2s for no charge. Those two computers are still working perfectly and are used by my wife and daughter. I bought a VT3 in 2010, now 830 dives, perfect. I bought a Geo2 backup in 2011, 725 dives, perfect. I bought my son a minimally used VT4.1 from a friend in 2014, he loves it.

I would dive with both at least a dozen times and compare them before I even considered selling it, and obviously disclose its past.

But I'll probably just keep it anyways

It never acted up diving it was only the light whic is usually a sign of bad battery and then when it stopped working which a few days later a new battery appears to have solved it.
I do dive with a go pro so if it does act up I can and will film it

Cheers

You said it looked like the original battery leaked? Have you cleaned the battery contacts inside the battery compartment? That might be all that's wrong. Some De-oxit spray (from Radio Shack or similar) might be all you need.

Yes they've been cleaned and are making good contact.
All I can think of is witchcraft.
Or it knows I dropped a swack of money on a new computer so it's like ok I'll work like a charm again

Witchcraft. Are you related to my girlfriend? She attributes almost everything to that. :rofl3:

Witchcraft. Are you related to my girlfriend? She attributes almost everything to that. :rofl3:
Haha I've used that word for a long time basically since Jeremy Clarkson used it to explain how a turbocharger works "exhaust gases go in witchcraft happens and you go faster" it's a good word

Back
Top Bottom