Oceanic Delta4 or Apeks XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi:
I wish I had looked at this thread before... Being new to diving and recently certified. I got the Delta 4. Money was not really an issue.

Anyway, it doesnt look like i'll be testing any serious limits of my gear although safety is my primary concern...
ESKASI,
The Delta 4's w/FDX10 First stages are sweet, I have over 100 dives on mine, with the Din Adapters, and love them, have had them to 150' with no problems. Oceanic has been in the business for a while now. They know how to make a great Reg.

fppf:
The high pressure seat inside the first stage let loose?
What was the end result, I would think your second stage would just start to free flow?
Did you send it back to oceanic for failer investigation? What did they say?
How many dives where on it?

Why did you need to make such a fast accent?

The speed of his ascent was probably dependent upon the amount of gas he had when the seat failure occured, plus the severity of the freeflow, and the level of his experience. A second stage which "just starts to freeflow" can be scary impressive, especially to the inexperienced.

With today's seat materials. a full blown (no pun) freeflow caused by materials failure is rather rare. But, stuff happens. Years ago, it was not unheard of for a chunk to break out of a hp seat. Mares was noted for this, but USD and Scubapro also had their problems. When this happened, there often was a SERIOUS freeflow.

Yes, I am aware of this.
None of the training agency's that I 'm aware of teach how to breath form a free flow in a basics OW class. But they all teach air sharing, and how to make a safe controled accent sharing air.

Point is, even if your reg failed you should still be able to make a safe accent.

We were not offically taught how to breath from a free flow until the Master Diver course.

SangP:
I will have to disagree with almost everything with the exception of the "enough air to survive" part.

If you were doing nothing but recreational diving, I would safely say that almost any reg/octo is ok but anything into tech and your setup is an accident/liability waiting to happen.

Seldom have to use doesn't mean never and I would like to have my octo as good as my primary when I need to use it.

A 2nd stage is just a piece of plastic at most 2 cubic inches. A regular bc with all those pockets and stuff has much more water resistance.

Consider this, if this was true, why are all tech divers using a standard reg as an octo? I won't trust my life nor my buddy's to a octo at 30m much less at 60m.The Apeks TX40 is a simple/reliable/reasonably priced 2nd stage/octo.

SangP

Divers are using whatever their diveshop and instructors are pushing. Hamsiss is not a tech diver and he does not use a drysuit or explore caves. He is a novice who dives in clear, tropical conditions. He has no need for a clunky second stage which has been painted yellow and advertised as an octopus. He needs a real octopus, streamlined and omnidirectional. It is false to claim that such a regulator, specifically designed for use as an octopus, will not provide enough air. Where did you hear that?

Adding the water resistance of a bulky regulator may not bother a tech diver because, typically, they are already heavily equipped and their movements are as restricted as an old time hard hat diver(diving on a string). Yeah, I know, tell that to Holgarth. Yet, the fact is, although it can be claimed for each piece of extra gear that "little" resistance is added, it does add up. Instead of buying a silly seven foot hose to add dexterity (a real hangnail), why not get a regulator that is designed to be omnidirectional in the first place? Stop bringing "tech" diver issues into a conversation about the needs of a new diver.

...... I have and use 'tech' reg set ups ( Poseidon Jetstream , 7 ft. hoses ) as well as 'recreational' reg set ups.......and I've got Apeks Egress 'flat' octos on those...in 3 or 4 ft. lengths...which I'm very happy with....... the fact they work upside down means I can get by with shorter octo hoses than needed to deploy a 'conventional' octo...and are perfectly fine for recreational 'reef' diving (non penetration / non overhead diving ).

I dive SEACURE mouthpieces on most of my primary 2nd-stages, which fit ME, so my intention , for recreational dives, would be do donate the 'octo' and keep the primary for myself....so the octo hose is the longer one for these reg sets. I refuse to be uncomfortable and dive generic mouthpieces on my recreational primary 2nd stages just based on the rare chance I'll have to donate my primary...so the SEACURES are used there and the generic mouthpieces go on the octo.

Karl

fppf:
Yes, I am aware of this.
None of the training agency's that I 'm aware of teach how to breath form a free flow in a basics OW class. But they all teach air sharing, and how to make a safe controled accent sharing air.

Point is, even if your reg failed you should still be able to make a safe accent.

We were not offically taught how to breath from a free flow until the Master Diver course.

I am currently doing my OW with SDI and in my 4th class we had to breathe from a free flowing reg in the pool.

PADI requires breathing from a freeflow for 30 seconds during confined dive portion of class. At least they did two weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom