Oceanic Biolite Gear Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keesmon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from 19 dives (15 shore) with the new Oceanic Biolite.
I bought this BC because I wanted a smaller, lighter travel option and because it looks cool :D

The good:
It does pack up small and is lightweight as promised. It also does look great IMO.
The front of your body is completely clear save for a shoulder and waist strap. I dove it with 3 lbs in each trim pocket and none in the side (dumpable) pockets. That allowed for having 2 gear pockets in a very handy location. If you need to carry keys, certification, etc. these pockets come with removable zippered pouches, which then slide into the dumpable pockets.

The bad:
It is not the most stable setup i have dove. When shifting from side to side on a reef dive, I could feel some "roll". Once I got used to this and anticipated it, it was fine, but it didn't give the feeling that the tank and BC were one with my body. My tanks slipped out 3 times in 19 dives, when walking from the truck down the beach, and into the water. The "gripper" on the BC seems small, so the tank can and did slide out. I'm sure there is some info that the tank band needs to be wet, but that does little good on shore away from the water, where we were setting up. I ended up walking with one hand under the tank just in case. I had no trouble with it under water.

The ugly:
There is nothing ugly about this BC, it looks great.

Conclusion:
Nice travel BC, a bit "toyish" IMO. I think i would have preferred a Zeagle express Tech Deluxe, but could not get the setup with 24lb bladder in time for this trip. I would recommend this BC, but not as enthusiastically as I had hoped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom