Ocean Acidification -- can you see it happening?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drought past, no huge reservoir’s to buffer.

How many cat5 hurricanes and frequency.

I prefer to be in the cult of knowledge and probability rather than the cult deniability.

Had a total knee replacement a few years ago, I probably shouldn’t have wasted all that money with the guy who went to school so much, the muffler shop is a lot closer, after I had to wait 33 days to start diving again.

Planetary cycles? Are you wanting to discuss Milankovitch cycles and the next Ice Age? Perhaps we could talk Solar Maxima and Minimums as well as the significance of C3 photosynthesis and the optimal amount of atmospheric CO2 to support the healthy growth of terrestrial plants?
Sure. Right now we're supposed to be in a cooling cycle. Instead, concentrations of insulating gases such as methane and carbon dioxide and general temperature have been increasing at a completely unprecedented pace.

Other non-human factors that influence climate are volcanic eruptions, El Nino and La Nina cycles, Southern Oscillation, and solar output. Even altogether, those factors can't account for what we're seeing now

We are supposed to be in a cooling cycle? Who decided that this interglacial was officially finished? I guess it's a damn good thing we aren't if you live in the northern US or Canada then.

Climate change is one of the big environmental issues -- I do believe it will turn out to be the biggest crisis of the 21st century. One of the ramifications of global climate change is ocean acidification, which, if what I have been reading is correct, could devastate the entire oceanic ecosystem. Worst-case scenario is the possibility of all multicellular ocean life disappearing. My question is: is this phenomenon something you can see visually? When you dive, can you observe visible signs of ocean acidification? What does it look like?

I dived the reefs off South Florida from 1995 to the present. Over those years, I have certainly watched the reef die, the fish disappear, and algae begin to take over.

I’ve also seen the peak surface water temperatures increase dramatically, from low to mid-80s to 95 in late Summer.

How much is ocean acidification, I don’t know. But, the ocean is definitely under siege from acidification, pollution, nitrate run-off, sewage dumping, over fishing, and a warming ocean.

We’re destroying the environment and killing the ocean. When the ocean dies, it’ll take us with it.

"Cut, you can't say that they're using facts, 'cause facts are real."

Why not just admit that you were making it up and you really can't prove that the interglacial is supposed to be ending? Instead you post a cute video from a TV show that hasn't been funny since Norm MacDonald left. I mean, if you could prove that, you would get the Nobel prize for you work.

There is too much buffering capacity in the ocean. The oceans also sit on gigatons of carbonate rocks such as limestone and dolomite.

Why all the handwavium and voodoo in that article instead of simply measuring the buffering capacity of seawater? There is a simple test and I never see it mentioned in these studies of 'ocean acidification' by the cultists. I have had that analysis run on fresh water a thousand times. It's reported as calcium carbonate equivalents. There should be historic data on the buffering capacity of seawater somewhere yet nobody ever discusses it? Why I wonder?

And by the way, if you kool-ade drinkers are going to associate us with Holocaust Deniers by calling us 'Deniers', which was done earlier in this thread, we are going to start calling you 'Cultists'.

Sorry if we pass on the grape Kool-Ade there Rev. Jones.

I am fine with keep things civil but I am not going to let snarky insults go unchallenged.

It was started with Global Warming now Climate Change and it was a deliberate attempt to paint the critics with a broad brush and link them to Holocaust Deniers.

Climate Craziness of the Week: Economist Tom Schelling makes NYT's Paul Krugman look rational

Ok Mr. Marine Scientist, I am going to ask you a question regarding the definition of a valid hypothesis or theory. One of those conditions is a concept known as 'falsifiability'. Tell me what condition would prove climate change false?

It seems that the climate cultists assert that warmer winters prove climate change, colder winters prove climate change, wetter winters prove climate change, more rain proves climate change, more snow proves climate change, less snow proves climate change, etc. Heads I win, tails you lose....

Tell me what condition would disprove the hypothesis. I have yet to see a convincing argument to that effect.

It's all Deniers, but the models and handwavium. Not to mention cooking the data aka hiding the decline and adjusting past temp data down. If Climate change was a solid theory, it could stand on it's own without all this hocus-pocus to cook the books. And lets not even mention the hokey stick graph of Mann's and how he switched his datasets mid-graph. Real theories don't require such manipulation.

And yet, in some ways, the weather has become less extreme. The number of hurricanes has fallen for example. Droughts were worse in the 1800's and the 1930's.

And expecting the climate to remain in some state of homeostasis is far too simplistic. It has never been that way in the past, it's always been warming or cooling, up or down.

Planetary cycles? Are you wanting to discuss Milankovitch cycles and the next Ice Age? Perhaps we could talk Solar Maxima and Minimums as well as the significance of C3 photosynthesis and the optimal amount of atmospheric CO2 to support the healthy growth of terrestrial plants?

We are supposed to be in a cooling cycle? Who decided that this interglacial was officially finished? I guess it's a damn good thing we aren't if you live in the northern US or Canada then.

Why not just admit that you were making it up and you really can't prove that the interglacial is supposed to be ending? Instead you post a cute video from a TV show that hasn't been funny since Norm MacDonald left. I mean, if you could prove that, you would get the Nobel prize for you work.

Here is the record of your "contributions" to this thread. Big words that I doubt you understand, disproved assertions, nonsense "facts" and made-up claims about what others have said, trying to get the topic off topic, and personal accusations.

Nice job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom