Oasis Divers Phoenix has ceased operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebri..........when you were at the store did you notice if there was still merchandise inside?
Yes there is still merchandise in the shop, it was locked as is by the property manager. divebri is correct there is a number on the door to the property manager who will put you in touch with one of the investors to get your stuff back if it's locked up in there from what I hear. I'm in that area frequently and I'll grab the number and post it here next week if they haven't reopened by then.

So it's a breach of a lease. The charming feature of commercial leases is that by statute, the landlord obtains a lien on all property of the tenant placed in the leased space. Of course, the landlord naturally presumes that anything found in the leased space belongs to the tenant, so if any of you have equipment there, get in contact with the landlord.

Garrett, do you happen to know whether the investors are considering filing a Chapter 11? That's the standard trick for avoiding a distraint lien and shedding executory leases.

Garrett, do you happen to know whether the investors are considering filing a Chapter 11? That's the standard trick for avoiding a distraint lien and shedding executory leases.
ummm I don't think so, the investors aren't on the hook for the lease.

So it's a breach of a lease. The charming feature of commercial leases is that by statute, the landlord obtains a lien on all property of the tenant placed in the leased space. Of course, the landlord naturally presumes that anything found in the leased space belongs to the tenant, so if any of you have equipment there, get in contact with the landlord.

and the templated notice says exactly that. It also indicates that the landlord has no intention of holding customer's personal property in the dispute, and to contact the landlord to arrange pick-up of personal property with proper documentation.

As to the chapter 11 intentions, everything as I understand is still up in the air. Speculation as to what happened by any but the "principals" and "investors" and speculation as to what will happen by any but the "principals" and "investors" is worth less than the hyper-space it occupies.
Only time will tell.

I appreciate your questions, comments and concerns via PM, email and phone, I don't have any answers for you and don't want to speculate on the future of Oasis, I am not in the loop. Sorry.

Let me say, I empathize with the customers who are owed/out something, I know myself and Tim especially, as the manager, did have the customers best interests in mind, and had we seen the closure of the shop coming, we would have taken steps to avoid customer loss/issues as best we could. I knew times would be lean(er), but PHX was the profit center and engine that drove Oasis and I didn't anticipate that shop closing it's doors with little to no notice. I expected my walking papers any day, but didn't expect the PHX shop to close so abruptly.

There are no saints or villains in this tale, I'll tell you that, I've seen the rise and fall firsthand from the front row with a big box of popcorn. I've seen it when times were good and everyone was happy and slapping each other high fives, and when times were bad and the finger pointing and blame game ensued. In the end everyone who had a stake, financially or otherwise will lose, some will lose monetarily, some will lose their reputations, some will lose both. But believe me when I say no one person is to blame and certainly no one person should be made a victim or villain, no matter what you've heard, first hand or not.

Yes I'm upset that I didn't get my last paycheck or back DM pay (yet) because it has put me in a bind, but what really gets to me is, not one of the current owners/investors had the common courtesy or decency to pick up the phone or shoot me an email when the shop closed. I show up to work one day, locks have been changed and not one of them contacts me? It's not like there are 50 employees, there were 2+. I'll be honest, that hurt and pissed me off more than the money, after well over a year of working there, loyalty to my own detriment (I should have left months ago, I have only myself to blame for that) and putting up with all the BS (and there was a lot of it) over the last few months, not to receive one phone call or email sucks. That's why, if the PHX shop reopens, I don't expect I'll choose to be associated with any reincarnation of Oasis Divers, whether by that name or any other. You just don't treat your employees/staff, who've stuck it out with you, like that.

I did have a great time working there for the most part, last couple months aside, met a lot of great people, made a lot of great friends, met my girlfriend and got to talk diving all day, I'll miss that aspect of the job. I'm hanging up the board shorts and flip-flops and going back to the real world (really, really soon I hope, web developer if anyone has any leads :)).

I will be glad just to dive for the Love of the sport once again and reclaim my "Lake Dog" merit badge in the near future, after I figure out my next move.

-Garrett

Last edited:
Vince over at Saguaro has been talking about his new website for over a year. I heard it will be up in 2 weeks (at least that is what I heard a year ago and every time I've asked since) He certainly needs a good web developer!

Last edited:
I will be glad just to dive for the Love of the sport once again and reclaim my "Lake Dog" merit badge in the near future, after I figure out my next move.

-Garrett

About time. It seemed like you had fallen off the face of the planet for a while.

I was thinking of worse situations. I have a friend who does commercial A/C work. Got a call from a client that his services would be needed one night at an ice cream/frozen yogert store. When he showed up, his job was to break down all the refrigerated ice cream equipment and help load it on a truck. The owner decided to close shop. Didn't tell anyone. Let all the employees go home that night, gutted the store. When they showed up the next day the store was empty. That is the bastard way of closing a store. Probably screwed the landlord in the deal as well.

Why are you saying "the dreaded sport chalet"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom