Oahu noob needing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcodee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello I am considering going scuba diving for the first in my life when I goto Honlulu from dec 24-jan 7. I have read many goods things about Ocean Concepts and they are my number one choice so far. I will be renting my gear. Can anyone please explain how I can get PADI ceritifcation? i am immensely confused.

Any advice would be appreciated!

also are 1-2week disposable contact lenses okay for scuba diving?

thanks,
from Marco in the Canadian Prairie.

Here is my advise to you. If you are wanting to save time go to a dive shop near you, do the Academics and Pool...get a referral...and then do the Open Water dives here on the island. Why? (you may ask). Because that way you will get to enjoy your vacation while you are here, instead of spending 1...2...or more extra days in a classroom environment while you could already be halfway to your goal of being certified.

There are many good dive shops around, and I am sure you will hear many opinions. My 2 PSI is that you can't go wrong with Island Divers (www.islanddivershawaii.com). They will bend over backwards for you to accomodate your every need (in my experience anyways)--then again I am somewhat biased since they are pretty much the only diveshop around that accomodate my technical diving needs.

Good advice about the referal. Every single dive op can do your referal, look around. Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Hey guys thanks for the warm reception!
is Discover Scuba the same thing as "Academics and Pool"?

I like AAA diving because they use their own boat and you aren't rushed. Head on the boat, roomy, etc.

marcodee:
is Discover Scuba the same thing as "Academics and Pool"?

No. Discover Scuba is just that, a very quick introduction to diving so you can see if you'll like it or not, before plunking down the cash and investing the time to do a full O/W course.

The academics and pool part of the full O/W course is significantly more comprehensive than any similar part of Discover Scuba.

PADI does have a provision in that if you are taught (and you master) any of the skills that are also taught in the full O/W course, that you MAY receive credit for those skills should you go for the upgrade. However, it sounds like from PADI's wording that it's totally up to the instructor whether or not these skills are even taught during Discover Scuba.

Some dive shops will also credit the cost of Discover Scuba towards the price of the full O/W course.

Re the contact lenses: I dive with my daily disposables, and don't have problems. However, some people have problems with contact lenses and salt water (and even more so in chlorinated pool water). Definitely bring a spare pair of disposable contacts (and it should be a part of your "save a dive" kit). The mask flood/clear skill in particular may cause you to lose your contacts, so if you're blind as a bat without them, you may want to consider investing in prescription lenses for your mask.

Here is what you want to do...and I can only speak to PADI and TDI courses as that's what I am certified to teach.

Go to a dive shop in your area. Ask to do the Academics and Pool and to receive a referral. You can expect to spend anywhere from a weekend for the Academics and Pool to a week or two. (/stands on soap box) in my humble opinion, while it can be done within standards, a day or two are not enough time to complete the academics/pool portion. So, (again purely my opinion) see if you can do the Academics/Pool with a shop that takes its time to teach that (right).

Once you complete the Academics and Pool portion ask for a completed referral form. You take said referral down here and complete your 4 Open Water dives (usually done over 2 days) while also enjoying the water of Hawaii--best of both worlds. If you still need advise, or have any questions you can PM me, and I will give you a straight forward answer.

Once again thanks!

I've done some digging around in my area and found a few dive shops(one is even across the street!). The problem is that all are booked for the Class and Pool + referral for next month. I guess thats to be expected since it is since short notice(im leaving in 1 week exactly! :D ). However I did book a scuba discovery class(25cdn) so I can atleast figure out if I enjoy scuba diving.

If i do continue I don't really mind the class part in hawaii. I'm there 2weeks and as much as I love the beach a break is needed once in awhile.

thank you for the support, I'll try an stay active here.

You know, Aquazone is very good. They have a pool at the Marriott, I think it is.
They also have their own boats (2). Devon is the owner, a very together person. They do a lot of Discover Scubas.

thanks Catherine, ill check it out. by the way where do you teach lessons Catherine?
i just saw your pictures:drooling:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom