Oahu/Kona April - few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I heading to Oahu (5 nts) and Big Island (7 nts) 4/18-30 for our 30th. She doesn't dive. So, diving will be secondary on this trip, maybe 2 days Oahu and 3 (with a manta night dive) Kona.

Need some dive op recommendations for Oahu. Will most likely be staying at Outrigger Waikiki. Aquazone appears to be right there, but reviews here imply catering to "beginner" divers. I am AOW, 100+ dives, not a pro, but don't want to surface with plenty of air at 30-40 minutes because the "weakest link" has to end the parade. Reviews on them seem to be on older threads. I'll start looking at other more recent threads for ideas.

In Kona, will likely dive with Jack's Diving Locker. Still scouting hotels. Looking at Aston by The Sea, Royal Kona, or Outrigger Sea Cliff. Any of these places have decent snorkeling? She will snorkel with me, just won't go under. Other hotels/condo recommendations in that area?

btw, last diving was in Lembeh Straits (KBR). I have been spoiled for life.

so you come in on sunday, to bad because you will miss the 3 tanker with island divers. you can use them or dive with gabe he is a great guy to dive with, he is the owner of kaimana divers. over in kona check out big island divers good deal on tanks for shore diving and you can do a dive package including the manta dive which your wife can snorkel it while you dive it. don't forget to buy the dvd of you with the mantas very cool souvenir to bring home of both of you in the water with them dive bombing you. we are going back at the end of february with gabe and some other club members.

just got back from oahu
kaimana is the way to go
if your lucky you may even see gabe break out his cape for another rescue

Counting down the hours. Shuttle pickup at 4am EST, then on to Oahu for 2PM arrival. Body clock is out of whack since my band played out last night. Lots of travel time to get caught up. Will be diving with Gabe on the 20 & 21. Can't wait!!!

In Oahu, I'd dive with Kaimana. Gabe's a good guy and great with any level of diver. I don't think you would go out with a group of "beginners" and get stuck sitting there while they complete their underwater navigation sign-off! I think Gabe works in small groups.

If something doesn't workout with Kaimana, I would look to Reef Pirate's, I had a great experience with them as well.

Be careful who you dive with, especially in Oahu. It can be a fantastic experience or an "OK" one.

I dove with Jack's on the Big Island and really liked them. I had a great experience and would dive with them again.

We stayed at The Fairmont and that was pretty nice. If I were to go back I'd try the Hilton property. The Fairmont was nice though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom