Trip Report Aggressor 5 - Jan26-Feb2 2019 - Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having not been on a liveaboard before - With the set dive times, is it allowed to wait 10-30 minutes and go in after the deck clears (and the area near the boat) or do they prefer that everyone enters/exits the water about the same time?

Best to let them give you instructions on the boat based on real time conditions and who is in the group. We had very thorough briefings in The Galapagos however it was different as we went to dive sites in a panga. No way to moor on the sites so we went as groups. I am still sure they will tell you how they want to proceed based on conditions and locations. If they are planning to move for weather etc the captain will inform the crew who will in kind pass it to the guests. It may not be the same scenario as what happened even just the week before.

Having not been on a liveaboard before - With the set dive times, is it allowed to wait 10-30 minutes and go in after the deck clears (and the area near the boat) or do they prefer that everyone enters/exits the water about the same time?
On the Caymann Aggressor V, everyone dives at approximately the same time, and that is the basis for the approximate 60 minute dive time. This immediately follows the briefing for that dive. There is one guide in the water for those who want to dive with the guide. Others are allowed to dive with their buddy or group. Solo diving is not allowed, see my review listed in post 12. All diving is from the mother ship

Summary – Because it was so easy to get to, I would recommend A5 as a ‘turn-key’ quick Caribbean dive trip for North American divers, or even as a ‘first-time’ liveaboard to see if you enjoy the lifestyle. It is also perfect for a new OW diver who wants the sheer number of dives to improve; you’ll get the education and support from the crew and other guests who want to see you get better at the sport we love. There is hardly any current, nor depth to worry about, so risks are lower. At approximately $3000 per head, I calculate it as less expensive to be on the Aggressor 5 for a week of diving, than the same week with hotel, meals, car, and dive ops on GC. Definitely worth trying.
Thanks for the very complete review. I tend to agree with the others who said GC isn't the most ideal place for a liveaboard, although if you can get the sister islands it might be different.

A week of diving at CompassPoint on the East Side was $1820 (each) for a spacious 2 bedroom condo with a full kitchen and balcony overlooking the sea, with rental car and breakfast included.
The docks are right next to the condos, and the crew rinses your gear and has it back on the boat by the morning.

That price is for only one 2-tank dive / day, but you can add more dives, or even drive to shore diving sites in the afternoon where you can dive for about $12 / tank. Breakfast is included, but you would need to add on lunches and dinners (minus what ever you decided to cook yourself). The food quality on the A5 didn't sound very appealing, whereas the food on GC can be outstanding (and at some places it's both inexpensive AND outstanding).

The price difference may not be so great when all things are included, but I prefer the independence that having a condo and car offers, unless the live aboard offers the chance to dive at sites you can't easily reach from land.

You tend to all get in the water in the same 10-15 minute window in order to keep the timeplan and surface intervals consistent. No solo diving!!!

Exactly right. I actually enjoy 4-5 dives a day, particularly in calm reef conditions like those in GC. Just be aware that as the week goes on, your core body temperature will drop from all the immersion. That's when the hot showers on the stern start feeling AMAZING! :)

Might want to be a little careful about hot showers when you are fresh out of water with a lot of nitrogen built up in your system. I think there is some evidence out there that the rapid increase in temperature has caused some DCS issues (primarily "skin bends" IIRC). Might be more common with hot tub use, but I think I read about a few incidents where hot showers were implicated as contributing.

Might want to be a little careful about hot showers when you are fresh out of water with a lot of nitrogen built up in your system. I think there is some evidence out there that the rapid increase in temperature has caused some DCS issues (primarily "skin bends" IIRC). Might be more common with hot tub use, but I think I read about a few incidents where hot showers were implicated as contributing.

I read similar, and I do think it has more correlation with complete immersion in a hot tub (wish I could find that article, although an honest medical opinion would be good here). The A5 crew actually cautioned about longer hot tub soaks following dives during the trip. Personally, I'm not a fan; I'd rather have a quick warm splash, soap down, and have some pasta. :)

Aggressor Fleet in recent years has had at least annual >30% off sales covering much of the fleet, and where some land-based options have a single supplement for solo travelers, if you’re willing to accept a same sex room mate live aboards I’ve been on didn’t. For a solo traveler looking to cram in a lot of diving with maximum ease and little interest in other things, it can be compelling.

But land-based options have their own charms.

Richard.

what does surprise me about this liveaboard is that there is no wi-fi. i guess with it being a new boat and the cost of the trip, i would have expected it was a standard thing. no big deal, i guess. on my last liveaboard, we were off the grid for 4 days and it was actually kind of nice.

No solo diving!!!
I think my question was misunderstood. I dive with my wife, not solo. What I didn't know was if you stay at a mooring site for multiple dives, particularly an evening and a night dive, the time in/out and surface intervals being synced isn't a factor. Thanks for the answers, as it sounds like the dive times are a little more regimented then I had expected.

Back
Top Bottom