O2 prior to fly/alltitude for short SI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep breathing the O2 all the way to the top. Or at least break it out when you hit your 1500' safety stop :mace:

won't they shoot you these days if you try to bring an O2 container
into an airliner?

anybody done any studies as to the effect of lead on DCS?

:wink:

The French MN90 (Marine National 1990) tables employ pure O2 to reduce SI for repet dives. See http://asor.free.fr/Theorie/Tables/tableau_3.htm

Sadly there is nothing published in terms of altitude. For many folks like me the ability to cut the Si before flying would make a weekend's diving possible. The USN have a similar time to fly facility based on the exiting pressure group. However, most things I have read agree that decompression dives load up the N2 too much for flights before at least 12 and ideally 24 hours.

Chris

lol i know. i was teasing =)

H2Andy:
won't they shoot you these days if you try to bring an O2 container
into an airliner?
I'm sure the TSA would enjoy the opportunity, but alas - you'd never get it back on the other side of the security circus gate. ALL tanks must have valve removed.

Have not updated my research since my dad died a couple of years ago, but at that time - one could book O2 to be supplied by the airlines on planes at great expense, and I think even for connections in terminals at greater expense.

For diver, same as pony bottle. Remove valve, have it filled when you get there.

I imagine the expense of an O2 clean tank and valve with regulator would be pretty great for a diver who wants to add to his toy collection. A prescription from a medical doctor would be required unless you were going to use welders oxygen (as is usually used in the Carib).

anybody done any studies as to the effect of lead on DCS?

:wink:
There have been no documented cases of anyone experiencing DCS while breathing lead. Rigor mortis, yes - but no DCS.

I have chatted with some folks who work on the commercial air lines about O2 after the horrible bus fire event near DFW in the evacuation for Hurricane Rita. The flight crew folks informed me this is why anyone needing O2 during a normal flight is supplied by the airline for liability reasons. I'm not sure what arrangements need to be made at either end of the flight before boarding and after deplaning. BigJetDriver could probably cough up the details though.

Narcoleptic:
I am a noob to this site but as a pilot and a diver, ... With airfares at record low prices, often cheaper than taking a bus, due to low cost operators, don't think for a second that you are immune to a faulty pressure system onboard an aircraft. You may not even know it is happening until your joints start seizing up after you get home.
Or I guess, apparently from hiring narcoleptic pilots.
Good points though. BTW what outfit do you fly for Narcoleptic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom