NYC Village Divers, Cal Azzouni = BAD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

givechase

Registered
Reaction score
just a heads up to any potential dive students in the nyc area:

stay away from Cal Azzouni and his operation: Village Divers on east 4th street

they pressure new students into buying overpriced gear that they DO NOT NEED.

their teaching is average, but let's not support this type of activity please.

plenty of reputable intruction available in nyc. good luck to all!

What kind of gear was he pressuring the students to buy?

evrything but tanks, bcd and regulator.

Masks and snorkels are one thing, but sudents are coming out paying way too much for fins, boots, and suits that they will be able to rent for their first few dives just about anywhere until they have some experience and know what they need and like.

givechase:
evrything but tanks, bcd and regulator.

Masks and snorkels are one thing, but sudents are coming out paying way too much for fins, boots, and suits that they will be able to rent for their first few dives just about anywhere until they have some experience and know what they need and like.

I think it is a common practice for shops that certify you.

Didn't you know before you started class what equipment purchases were expected of you? The shop I teach askes that you purchase your lifesupport equipment before class to make sure of fit, comfort and to beable to teach you in your own equipment so you are a better prepared diver.

niether, i have been diving for years, but my wife just got certified so she can join me under the waters of the galapagos over xmas vacation. she came home with less gear than other sudents who were told that by Cal that "no dive shops will rent fins or suits..." $165 fins and $40 boots and more for somebody who isn't even certified yet.

life in the big city i guess.

givechase:
niether, i have been diving for years, but my wife just got certified so she can join me under the waters of the galapagos over xmas vacation. she came home with less gear than other sudents who were told that by Cal that "no dive shops will rent fins or suits..." $165 fins and $40 boots and more for somebody who isn't even certified yet.

life in the big city i guess.

Seems like normal prices to me ( not ebay prices )

Russ

I have my regs serviced there and I have been happy with them. Nice guys. Prices are what they are--you're free to say no and go elsewhere.

maybe for frequent divers, but to lie about any future rental prospects is lame. and it is better to try out different types of gear when possible before purchasing. i have dived all over the world and only own a mask and snorkel. who wants to travel with all that stuff?

jbc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom