NYC diver seeks dutch springs buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba31xx

Registered
Reaction score
hi there, OW 35 diver would love to hook up with someone in the area to do the Penna. quarry before it gets cold in October! Drop a line to scubaeroti@aol.com --- male, safe/sane/reliable/good bud here. Thanks

Hey we've been there almost every weekend this summer. Usually in the grass right in front of the bathrooms, but were going to try setting up on the peninsula side for a while, like near the back of that top lot. We always have a 10' blue canopy.

We're always looking fo more buddies. I'm trying to get out there Sunday, but everyone else's schedules stink!

check out the rodales board - someone there is organising a get together for Sunday

wwtaylor I think

:wave: I was thinking of going up this Sunday. It's supposed to be a nice day. Wanna buddy?

Sure what time?

Where do you want to meet?

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Email's been down. Didn't know there were any replies.

Hey scuba31xx are you up for tomorrow too.

I think Sue has to bail, but both of you, please keep me posted if you want to try to hook up before october ends at dutch. I dont check this all the time, so feel free to email me directly at scubaeroti@aol.com.

Thanks!

If any of you want to get in some great shore diving in the LI sound before the season closes in, let me know. Jen and I are out there every weekend, and the diving is great now, day or night.

Scott

Sounds cool.

What's the vis like? How rough is the entrance and exit?

I haven't done a shore dive yet, but really want to get into the Atlantic.

Problem is me and most of my buddies only have OW, and most of the boats out of NJ require at least AOW, even for the few shallower sites.

And I've read too many stories about the horrible vis on NJ shore dives, not to mention divers losing half their gear getting to and from the dive, with the strong currents, tides, rough waves, etc.

If you and/or your buddies are not comfortable in rough conditions I can take you to the North Shore LI sound.

It's the ocean, but it's protected from the surf. On a bad day you'll get some one foot waves and some surge. On a good day it's as easy as getting into a quarry.

You'll get a light current that moves parallel to shore that can make some new divers nervous, but if it bothers you you can move in a little closer to shore and still have fun.

At this time of year the vis is usually around 10' and the water is "loaded" with life. You'll see more stuff in five minutes than you've seen in Dutch Springs on all your dives combined!

You have to dive at high tide, which happens twice a day 12 hours or so apart. Both day and night diving are excellent. Keep an eye on the weather, and if it looks nice on a day you want to come out, post here and I'll give you the tide info.

We can meet on the LIE somewhere and you can follow us the rest of the way out. Let me know when you're interested.

Scott

Hi ScottyK and all

The LI shore dives sound interesting and I wouln't mind joining! Have not done a LI shore dive yet...maybe we can organize something??

I'm in the NYC area as well. btw, my buddy and I dive DS almost every weekned so anyone want to join us are welcome too.

Izzy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom