NSS-CDS Effectiveness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A. The software was completely different in 2012 than it is now

B. I don’t think I’m an expert on the inner workings of any forum. I’m a software idiot

C. I have tremendous respect for you Pete. Huge! Not possible to express, almost a genuine love for you man. Please don’t think my intention was insult to you.

D. I will post the exchange where my pm between me and close friend was read regarding TracyN and was used as evidence to ban me. Times change, mods change. I doubt that person is even here anymore. the person who pursued banning me. But it did happen. Perhaps the old software made it easy, not sure. But I fervently pleaded, how can you ban me for something I said in private to a friend?

For the less tech inclined, *everything* we do online is stored in a database. In order to administer that database, someone has Admin rights. Therefore, *someone* can read what you write. ANYWHERE.

I think @The Chairman has been fairly clear in saying that he does not (not cannot) read PM’s. And that the system does not allow others from the normal (even normal mod) interface. But if you think he *cannot*, you are mistaken. They’re not encrypted with a key only you control, therefore system admins can get them. (Otherwise *no* one could read them!)

Not unique to ScubaBoard. *Any* electronic communication: FB, Twitter, Gmail, etc. You have *zero* expectation of privacy. Only individual exercises of human conscience. Period. (And ask Edward Snowden how that works out: he relates how NSA staff regularly abuse their power to track girlfriends, etc.)

If *any* *other* person can read something you’ve written without you giving them a unique key, *lots* of people can read them. It’s the cost of cheap and easy access to information.

I believe @The Chairman when he says he doesn’t look and that the system is set up not to. Well, enough to use the system for SCUBA information, not so much, say, Bitcoin wallets... Even then, I’m careful what I write. Because even @The Chairman has made it clear that the *recipient* can do whatever he wants the information — including cut and paste into wherever he wants.

As I tell my IT clients: never do something on any system that you don’t want the owner/admin to see. I *wont* go looking... but I (and others) *can*.

@Capt Jim Wyatt: have there been any volunteers yet?

What do you think is the most critical issue facing the CDS today? Lack of volunteers?

So the volunteer pool is their existing membership due to the 1 year requirement. They come here to look for volunteers, but this isn't a good place to promote what they are actually doing?

At least we can all agree they are good for some amusement.

but this isn't a good place to promote what they are actually doing?
This an excellent place to
Recruit potential members
Inform us about what you're doing
Educate us about cave conservation
Educate us about safety
Educate us about instruction
Celebrate accomplishments and awards
Educate us about any other issues
Not spend a dime doing all this outreach​

Let me know what I can do to facilitate this for the NSS-CDS and consider it done.

Educate us about safety

Let me know what I can do to facilitate this for the NSS-CDS and consider it done.

Personally, I would enjoy reading all of that. But unless it's put in front of me, I would never be *able* to read it. (And no, your organization does not have enough value to me -- or, it sounds like, most other people -- for me to go *looking* for it.)

And it seems to me that the things covered by @The Chairman 's list are exactly the items that @tbone1004 was asking about it post #1.

And by the way, you don't *have* to re-write anything you've already written. A link to your website works, too!

So, now that we've come full-circle almost 200 posts later... Does anyone from NSS-CDS have any good -- and recent -- information that covers any of the above? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Educate us about safety

Agreed. Obviously that's what Jim was doing, but I think the CDS would benefit from taking that into consideration. They created their own forum which I've never personally logged into, but hear is wholly unimpressive. Rather than putting the energy into that they could make announcements here where more people may see. I personally never look at their website or fb unless I need something like to unsuccessfully renew my membership. I highly doubt they'll heed the recommendation though.
I mean look at the reputation Shearwater has. It's a combination of exceptional products and customer service, but they have also posted here and responded to posters. How could it hurt the CDS? I suspect the CDS needs some younger blood on the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom