NSS-CDS Effectiveness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point is, you guys do have the power to do so, and have done so.
This is a lie. I'm done with taking this off topic to bolster your ego.

Telford would be a wonderful addition.

You can't change unless you want to be the best: not just claim to be the best. Defensiveness in the CDS is their biggest single problem.

Pete,

are you saying you can’t or are you saying you don’t? Do you really want me to post
The back and forth arguments from 2012 when I said the ban was unfair because it was said in private to a friend. You know I have the conversations. I don’t care either way, but you’re the one that is either lying or mistaken. I choose to believe you’re mistaken, but if you want to butt heads just say so and I’ll post the proof. Or you can exercise your might again and ban me. Either way, I quit caring long ago about the ego of cave divers, mine included.

This is a lie. I'm done with taking this off topic to bolster your ego.

I realize that this is really off topic for this thread, but during the decade or so I was on staff, there was no going into PMs on our own. When someone felt they had been abused in a PM (which does happen with more frequency than you would expect), they would report the abuse, and their report would quote the exchange in the PM as proof of that abuse. It was thus possible to know exactly what had been said in a PM without going into the PM exchange itself.

Just to add to that....

In the long, long deep stops debate that ended with the banning of Ross Hemingway, I was given the task of staying out of the debate itself so I could counsel Ross in the hope of getting him to stop his incessant violations of the ToS. Since Ross was very nearly the only participant on his side of the debate, and since the debate was so informative, we had to keep him in the thread, and that was hard to do when he was constantly writing things that would get anyone else kicked out. I was quite up front with Ross, telling him I was on a specific mission for that purpose. I kept him reasonably in check, but always on the border, until he exploded with all his pent up frustration and had to go.

My point in telling this is that Ross frequently accused the staff of reading our PM exchanges, and he eventually insisted we go to private email. He assumed that because he thought some of the things we was saying to me privately were appearing in posts by other staff members. That was absolutely untrue. Some of those posts were the result of obvious interpretations of things in the thread, but others came from times that I quite clearly told Ross that I would carry his comments to the staff for their consideration. There was no reading of our conversation by staff in any other way.

BTW, you do not know the potential extent of abuse by private message until you disagree with Ross Hemingway in private communications.

Just to add to that....

In the long, long deep stops debate that ended with the banning of Ross Hemingway, I was given the task of staying out of the debate itself so I could counsel Ross in the hope of getting him to stop his incessant violations of the ToS. Since Ross was very nearly the only participant on his side of the debate, and since the debate was so informative, we had to keep him in the thread, and that was hard to do when he was constantly writing things that would get anyone else kicked out. I was quite up front with Ross, telling him I was on a specific mission for that purpose. I kept him reasonably in check, but always on the border, until he exploded with all his pent up frustration and had to go.

My point in telling this is that Ross frequently accused the staff of reading our PM exchanges, and he eventually insisted we go to private email. He assumed that because he thought some of the things we was saying to me privately were appearing in posts by other staff members. That was absolutely untrue. Some of those posts were the result of obvious interpretations of things in the thread, but others came from times that I quite clearly told Ross that I would carry his comments to the staff for their consideration. There was no reading of our conversation by staff in any other way.

BTW, you do not know the potential extent of abuse by private message until you disagree with Ross Hemingway in private communications.

got to say I don’t miss Ross.
I do see why Pete keeps this argument going. You never said if you “didn’t” or “couldn’t” go into people’s pm’s. Though it’s still very off topic, I think the issue he’s having is ambiguity in wording. I too would like a definitive can’t or don’t answer.

got to say I don’t miss Ross.
I do see why Pete keeps this argument going. You never said if you “didn’t” or “couldn’t” go into people’s pm’s. Though it’s still very off topic, I think the issue he’s having is ambiguity in wording. I too would like a definitive can’t or don’t answer.
Looks pretty definitive to me:
I don't think so....I am a mod and an admin...we cannot read your PM's.

This is true. There's a hack somewhere that can be installed to do just that, and I would fire anyone who tried to implement it. Me included. The only way we read PMs that aren't our own is if one of the parties reports it.

Someone with full administrative access would have to go into the software structure and implement something that is not in place now. So right now it cannot be done.

Though it’s still very off topic, I think the issue he’s having is ambiguity in wording. I too would like a definitive can’t or don’t answer.
Someone with full administrative access would have to go into the software structure and implement something that is not in place now. So right now it cannot be done.
Thank you. This is true.
This is true. There's a hack somewhere that can be installed to do just that, and I would fire anyone who tried to implement it. Me included. The only way we read PMs that aren't our own is if one of the parties reports it.
I thought I was quite clear here: We do not read PMs unless they are reported to us.
We do not allow reading of PMs with a hack or by going into the db to do so. The idea is anathema to me and the mods and to say differently is a lie. This is nothing but needless drama.
Please, Pete thinks he's the expert here and he's not. He's not even the victim he wants to be. I know how SB is set up and I know the ethics to which we hold all staff to. WE DO NOT READ PMS without them being reported to us. I have been sued to reveal user info and fought that off successfully at great expense. I have demonstrated that I value user privacy beyond any reasonable doubt. You might as well spit in my eye instead to suggest otherwise.
Now please. Let's get back to the REAL topic here. I'm really, really, really done with this offensive accusation.

Thank you. This is true.

I thought I was quite clear here: We do not read PMs unless they are reported to us.
We do not allow reading of PMs with a hack or by going into the db to do so. The idea is anathema to me and the mods and to say differently is a lie. This is nothing but needless drama.
Please, Pete thinks he's the expert here and he's not. He's not even the victim he wants to be. I know how SB is set up and I know the ethics to which we hold all staff to. WE DO NOT READ PMS without them being reported to us. I have been sued to reveal user info and fought that off successfully at great expense. I have demonstrated that I value user privacy beyond any reasonable doubt. You might as well spit in my eye instead to suggest otherwise.
Now please. Let's get back to the REAL topic here. I'm really, really, really done with this offensive accusation.

Question answered. Wasnt being accusatory. It came up and piqued my interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom