Now PADI gets involved in agency bashing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I wasnt at work, it wasnt snowing and the lake wasnt still covered by a foot of ice, I would...

Well, there you go - most of the PADI-bashers I know would NEVER let ice and snow stop them from diving.

As for not knowing what a diver planner is- im not surprised as its a PADI only thing. As for not knowing the pressure groups again im not surprised as they're called tissue codes on the BSAC '88 tables and they go from A-G. And as for not knowing what residual nitrogen is, again im not surprised as that doesn't exist on BSAC tables which work totally differently.
So its not entirely surprising a diver trained by a different agency with different tables and terminologies wouldnt be familiar with PADIs only tables and terms.

So, the obvious question is, did the BSAC article boil down to the same "didn't know my agency's secret handshake" complaint or not?

Don't seem like PADI is doing the bashing more like publishing a "I love PADI letter".

But they published it, and no, I don't buy the claims that it was because some dumb intern slipped up. Say what you want about PADI, but, for better or worse, their public face is always primped and polished, ALWAYS meets their definition of prime time. They spend too much on marketing and PR, of which their publications are an integral part, for this to be an "accident."

It appears to be gone now.

I think it was a "quid pro quo" for the magazine article.

How stupid do they think that we think they are?

Well, there you go - most of the PADI-bashers I know would NEVER let ice and snow stop them from diving.
It wouldnt stop me either if I had training (and the buddies) to do ice diving..

Totally unrelated to the topic at hand and not true. Businesses are expected to make money. No one faults PADI for making a profit.

I do. PADI used to be a non-profit. I believe your agency still is.
My primary problem is that PADI seems to have crossed the line from mere professionalism to pure *****dom. Mercenary considerations are ALL that matter to the current leadership, and this bothers as many members as non-members.

I'm all for capitalism, but with a conscience. Adam Smith's theories counted on a moral and informed society - they weren't meant to work with ignorant consumers and vendors with no conscience.

The certifying agency debates reminds me of the Harley Davidson vs anything else vs Harley Davidson debates. I've owned several different makes over the years, rode a couple hundred thousand miles on non-Harleys and finally bought into the Harley club. Nice bike, great sound, I'm selling it. No longer want to be part of the club.

why? Because of the mystique cult aspect, or because HD is peddling the best technology the 1940's had to offer? Chrome don't get you home. You've unwittingly chosen an example that reinforces a sound basis for partisanship.

So, the obvious question is, did the BSAC article boil down to the same "didn't know my agency's secret handshake" complaint or not?

Having since found it no.

Firstly and most importantly it wasnt in Dive which is BSACs magazine. It was actually in "Diver" which isn't attached to any agency.
Secondly it just amounts to someone doing a standard PADI DSD abroad with people bouncing everywhere and sub standard instruction as is normal on those things and then came home to learn with BSAC so got 1 on 1 training free of charge etc.
So nope, it doesnt boil down to that at all and in fact was in a publication entirely unconnected with either agency.

It appears to be gone now.

I think it was a "quid pro quo" for the magazine article.

How stupid do they think that we think they are?

Nope its still there as of 03:32z

Walter:
Totally unrelated to the topic at hand and not true. Businesses are expected to make money. No one faults PADI for making a profit.

I do. PADI used to be a non-profit. I believe your agency still is.
My primary problem is that PADI seems to have crossed the line from mere professionalism to pure *****dom. Mercenary considerations are ALL that matter to the current leadership, and this bothers as many members as non-members.

I'm all for capitalism, but with a conscience. Adam Smith's theories counted on a moral and informed society - they weren't meant to work with ignorant consumers and vendors with no conscience.

Doesn't sound like you fault them for making a profit, just for making a profit without regard to any other consideration. That's yet another issue and one in which we seem to agree.

Back
Top Bottom