Now it can be told

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Elletek,

It is not possible for Mexicans to do anything about the trash other than daily clean up. It all comes with the current from the Eastern Caribbean nations who use the ocean as their dump. Indeed, one of the messiest places I've ever seen was the small park at the east end of Little Cayman Island who gets theirs from Jamaica.

On that subject I have repeatedly tried to get the other dive shops to set up a beach cleaning program on the East Side of Cozumel. Like having every KM being sponsored by a different shop and having a sign like we have on our highways. No luck so far but it is still a good idea.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Thanks for your reply, Dave. Yes, I realize it's difficult to get people to clean up after themselves, not to mention picking up after others. It's just a shame to see such a beautiful area all trashed out.

In Texas, for example there are several volunteer beach cleanups yearly. Bags and gloves are provided with a drop off station. Some hotels offer special rates to help get people enthusiastic about it. It has been a successful cleanup effort for many years. Perhaps some of the local business and dive shop owners could pull something together to organize a cleanup once in a while. It would certainly benefit the island. Just a thought...
Adopt-A-Beach

Thanks for your reply, Dave. Yes, I realize it's difficult to get people to clean up after themselves, not to mention picking up after others. It's just a shame to see such a beautiful area all trashed out.

In Texas, for example there are several volunteer beach cleanups yearly. Bags and gloves are provided with a drop off station. Some hotels offer special rates to help get people enthusiastic about it. It has been a successful cleanup effort for many years. Perhaps some of the local business and dive shop owners could pull something together to organize a cleanup once in a while. It would certainly benefit the island. Just a thought...
Adopt-A-Beach

I still think the cruise ships should provide an "adopt a beach " excursion on the east side with a final stop at Coconuts. No doubt people would sign up!

I have never been approached about this nor have I ever seen any information about it - but I have participated and do participate in regular beach clean-ups.

It's a great idea - and I am certain that my crew would be more than willing to participate.

And speaking as an increasingly frequent visitor, I'm sure many clients of the dive shops would be happy to participate as well. Seems like a great way to spend an afternoon or off-gassing day among people with common interests :)

Ok, I think I have the trash problem figured out. Twice a week, Dave and Memo put on an east side cleanup afternoon....with both of them wearing thongs. Come on Dave, it's for a good cause! :)

Cheers to Dave and Memo, two of the coolest guys on my island.

Queue the Braveheart scene..... MY ISLAND!!

I still think the cruise ships should provide an "adopt a beach " excursion on the east side with a final stop at Coconuts. No doubt people would sign up!
That's a great idea since most of the trash comes from the ships tossing stuff overboard. Now who's going to arrange this with the cruise ships?

And speaking as an increasingly frequent visitor, I'm sure many clients of the dive shops would be happy to participate as well. Seems like a great way to spend an afternoon or off-gassing day among people with common interests :)

Another wonderful idea! A volunteer SI beach cleanup as part of the marine park environmental protection.

There is a great group who is doing good work on Cozumel.
The trashy little group:

This group has been formed to promote beach clean up on the island of Cozumel, but membership and meaning are open to all who care to join in by cleaning up their curb, neighborhood, favorite park bench, or wherever you find inspiration. Please join in and offer your stories, photos, or just encouragement.

One trash bag at a time, let's see what we can do.

Este grupo se ha formado para promover la limpieza de las playa en la isla de Cozumel y de cualquier parte del mundo, y todos sus miembros buscar la limpieza en nuestras colonias, jardines, parques, banquetas, playas, calles, plazas todos los lugares abiertos donde podamos recoger la basura o fomentar que los niños y los adultos no tiren mas basura.
Si eres un miembro preocupado que organizas limpiezas con amigos, vecinos o de alguna manera nos gustaria saber y que nos compartas tus logros y fotografias e historias con Nosotros

Nuestro lema:....

Una bolsa de basura a la vez y vamos a ver qué podemos hacer.

Their next event is soon:Time Sunday, May 15 · 9:00am - 11:00am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location Beach just North of the Rasta Bar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information:

Login | Facebook

That's a great idea since most of the trash comes from the ships tossing stuff overboard. Now who's going to arrange this with the cruise ships?

I think I know who I can contact at Carnival cruise lines- let's see what happens. Probably nothing but it's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom