Now I KNOW what narcosis is!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temperature at depth, and physical exertion are two apparent & obvious factors; I feel a nice buzz in easy tropical 28 deg C waters at 45meters on deep air --45meters in 12 deg C here in the current & surge of my home waters of Southern California, I was in the throes of a Dark Narc Nightmare last time I dove deep air with mandatory deco stops (Jan 2005, Oil Rig Eureka).

DrBill has been routinely diving these depths over at Catalina for some time now, and I figured there was some merit to the "tolerance" theory of dealing with narcosis . . .now this kind of scares me as well:shocked2: . . .

Kev... no real physical exertion at all (which is one reason why I didn't feel narc'ed at such depths on earlier dives... all I had to do was push the record button on my video cam!). I feel pretty certain it is linked to the lack of diving over the past 9 months.

I wouldn't be scared about it... this is something I expected to happen due to the limited diving I've done recently. It was interesting to truly feel the effects of narcosis after so many years underwater.

Interesting Drbill, I have never been narked as far as I know but I have seen and assisted a few divers who were! Maybe its the time of life thats saying slow down a bit! I am 57 now and am a bit more conservative with my dives!

I don't think age has played a significant factor here. At the beginning of last year I was probably at my peak in terms of depth and frequency of diving. For example, deepest dives of the day were often in the 180-200 fsw range, and there was one day I averaged 180 fsw on a series of three dives.

In June of last year my maximum depth dropped to around 100 fsw and my dive frequency slowed markedly for the last six months of the year. Then I started up again at a slightly higher rate and did my first deep dives in 7 months. Unless something abrupt occurred on my birthday last June, the difference in age was a mere 6 months.

Of course this June I turn 62 and become an official senior citizen on the second tier (55 being the first). Perhaps my tolerance will decrease even more and I'll be narc'ed at 50 fsw. Gulp.

Dr Bill , I have had the same experiences myself . There is no formula for me . I have been very deep with no effect , then get narced the next day at 90 feet .

When I get narced I double-check what I am doing and enjoy the ride . I find it more like the martini effect and just make sure I do not have too much fun.

Interesting thread , everyone's got an opinion on this that shows me it is an individual situation .

My favorite story was a gal who claimed she never got narced , her line was " I do not get narced , I just feel real good down deep"

Dr Bill , I have had the same experiences myself . There is no formula for me . I have been very deep with no effect , then get narced the next day at 90 feet .

When I get narced I double-check what I am doing and enjoy the ride . I find it more like the martini effect and just make sure I do not have too much fun.

Interesting thread , everyone's got an opinion on this that shows me it is an individual situation .

My favorite story was a gal who claimed she never got narced , her line was " I do not get narced , I just feel real good down deep"
Same thing from a female dive insta-buddy some years ago in Cozumel: "I just feel sooo feminine down real deep. . .:) "

I have never felt any narcosis effect either despite numerous deep dives, usually solo. I wonder if it is age related. I never used to get sea sick (motion sickness) either yet the last few years I have felt a little fuzzy at times though never actually sick.

You could be right though that it is simply an acquired resistance to the effect. When you were diving regularly to depth over many years you developed a resistance as you went deeper and deeper and then with your layoff you need to recondition yourself gradually.

What kind of cold that does not go away--I know you would not dive with any type of "cold medicine" in your system? The "cold" itself could be a factor even if it is gone now in that you are systemically weaker now.

I have imposed a depth limit on myself now. I keep busting it but I have come to believe my days of deep diving are past--at least on air. Perhaps Dr. Bill, even you should now limit yourself or take a wingman, younger and stronger, to look over you in addition.

I also think, and I have no evidence for it, but I do believe that cardio fitness helps to defeat the dreaded rapture of the deep.

N

What do you mean Dr. Bill by first and second tier? N

I got certain senior citizen benefits at the first tier, age 55 (like senior admission to the movies, McDonalds' coffee), and at the second tier, age 62, I get others (senior discount on Long each buses). I've heard there is a third tier at age 65 and possibly another at 70... IF I make it that far!

You skipped the tiers at 50 (some hotels) and 60 (lots of places).

Back
Top Bottom