Now I KNOW what narcosis is!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got certain senior citizen benefits at the first tier, age 55 (like senior admission to the movies, McDonalds' coffee), and at the second tier, age 62, I get others (senior discount on Long each buses). I've heard there is a third tier at age 65 and possibly another at 70... IF I make it that far!

Pretty sure at 70 - you are assigned a sherpa to carry your gear - so hang in there!

Hey Dr. Bill: Long time, no talk!

Just a question - no "busting" here, because unlike a number of folks on this board who are narcosis "experts," you actually dive - before the first deep dive when you were narced, were you worried about or did you think you might actually get narced?

Just curious...

Thanks...

Andy

Andy, I wasn't worried about getting narced on the 150 ft deep dives on the Infidel since I can easily adjust to reduce it. I was aware that I could get narced. I was however, surprised to get narced on the 107' dive. Hadn't given it much thought before that dive.

Just a question - no "busting" here, because unlike a number of folks on this board who are narcosis "experts," you actually dive - before the first deep dive when you were narced, were you worried about or did you think you might actually get narced?
Andy, I think I know what you're referring to here.

I had experienced once (and only this one time) the effects of narcosis while being at 30 meters of depth (cca 100ft). Normally I don't experience it that shallow, for me it starts at 45-50 meters (cca 150ft). This time though - it was low viz, I was deep into my thoughts, diving relaxed, breathing slowly... and slowly becoming narc'd without noticing it!

I suddenly realized I had no idea what was happening around me, no idea how deep I was or how much air I had left and everything seemed to be happening really slow. Recognizing the symptoms I decided to try to snap out of it.

I've checked the air, the depth, my buddy and looked around. Indeed, I was snapping out of the narcosis. It felt as if I was waking up from a bad dream.

The dive site was no deeper than 30 meters and when I "woke up" I was still at that depth, so it couldn't have been ascending that cleared my mind. Very strange experience.

You skipped the tiers at 50 (some hotels) and 60 (lots of places).

About 6 months before I turned 50 (June of 2008) I started getting requests to join AARP. It was like $40 for 5 years so I signed up. Already saved more than that just using it at motel/hotel stays. I guess there are some advantages in getting older. Can't wait for the free coffee!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom