Novice divers - Krabi/Phi Phi/Phuket/...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there

Lanta is a great choice , a beautiful island , I am sure that you will love it.

I second Ao Nang but recommend Dan Sasse at Posiedon dive centre - have dived with Dan many times and have referred divers to him who have been more than happy. PDC have their own boat and Dan is very very good with newer divers to experienced divers - Poseidon Dive Center Scuba Diving Ao Nang Krabi Thailand

Acommodation wise I like Baan Habebee Chalets if you can book one they are absolutely delightful, but very much in demand as there are only 6 bungalows. Baan Habeebee Resort

I am with Bubble Junky and Wingy here. Although I can not comment on dive centre's, you will not be disappointed in the south Andaman's - in particular, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang. Plus, this season has been great for manta's plus soft corals, rock gardens, clear water, and less people pressure than around other sites. Hin Daeng and Hin Muang. My SB photo is from this region.

Still trying to figure out accommodation.

Mook Lanta is very close to Dive & Relax, but also have a look at Lanta Marina, which is next door and cheaper, but more basic. It's right on the beach and their food is excellent too... Thai Beach House and Castaway resorts are also nice...

Thanks all! Its Lanta Castaway and Dive and Relax. We have gone through many, many google images of andaman diving/marine life in the past few weeks and are very excited. We are leaning towards just diving all the days that we will be on Lanta!
boy22ban, we would like to rent a motorcycle once on the island - will we need international driving permits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all! Its Lanta Castaway and Dive and Relax. We have gone through many, many google images of andaman diving/marine life in the past few weeks and are very excited. We are leaning towards just diving all the days that we will be on Lanta!
boy22ban, we would like to rent a motorcycle once on the island - will we need international driving permits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IDP's are by law not required in Thailand.

Take into account that to drive a motorbike you need a full motorbike license, car license with motorbike enhancement is not valid.

Thanks all! Its Lanta Castaway and Dive and Relax.
My only choice for diving and staying when in Koh Lanta. D&R will give you a boat brief a few minutes before 0900 on the beach in from of Lanta Castaway. Koh Haa and Phi Phi are both about 30-40 minute ride from the beach. Never entered the water later than 1000. Surface interval they serve lunch before your second dive. Usually when at Koh Haa, you are finishing up your first dive around the same time the larger slower cattle boats are dropping their divers in for their first dive. Depending on when all the dive groups are back on the boat, you should be back at the hotel 1330-1400.if you happen to dive with Rhi from UK or Robin from Germany, tell them Tom from New York and way of Kuwait said hi. Also ask them about "Captain Chang".

Back from our trip. Had a wonderful time diving with Dive and Relax. We dove with 2 fantastic dive masters. Saw black tips - the first sighting made the trip for the hubby! The combination of staying at the resort that the boats leave from and later departures due to faster boats allowed us to sleep in and still have the time to linger over breakfast. The fast boat advantage was particularly evident on day one - we were the first in the water and out and eating lunch before all the snorkel boats came in. We were also back, showered and lounging by the beach before 2:30.
We did rent a motorcycle. Dives were cancelled due to the weather on day 3 but we were able to ride out to the national park and then around the island. We had a great time - thanks to all for insight and recommendations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 07:30 PM ----------

Also, we are now addicted to canned Nescafé lattes thanks to D&R's well stocked cooler on the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom