Novice divers - Krabi/Phi Phi/Phuket/...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aghoree

Registered
Reaction score
We are novice divers with 20 dives under our belts. Ten of those were in Jamaica and La Romana, DR and ten in Cozumel. We are hoping to sneak in a mini (five day) vacation to Thailand while visiting family in India in March and would love to dive on two of those days. The other days will be spent relaxing/exploring the area. We can fly in and out of two different cities if required (e.g. Arrive in Phuket, depart from Krabi) and will have the luxury of being able to rent a car/cab for longer road travel.
1) We would love to spend as little time traveling to the dive site(s) from the shore as possible. Is any one of these locations (Krabi/Phi Phi/Phuket/?) better than the others from that perspective?(Cozumel spoilt us for ease of access to dive sites!!)
2) We are planning on 4 dives, which sites should we dive?
3) Dive shop and accommodation recommendations?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Go to Ao Nang/Krabi. It's one of the most scenic areas in southern Thailand and offer the shortest distance to Phi Phi islands comparing to Phuket. Do 1 day at the local islands (30 - 45 min boat ride) and 1 day at Phi Phi islands (2 - 2h15). I can recommend our dive center in Ao Nang, Kon-Tiki Krabi and you can contact them for many more details on info@kontiki-krabi.com (for your information I run Kon-Tiki Phuket)

You could also go to Phi Phi islands and do your diving from there. Contact Phi Phi Adventure Club, which I personally thinks gives the best service on the island.

Enjoy your holiday :)

Go to Ao Nang/Krabi. It's one of the most scenic areas in southern Thailand and offer the shortest distance to Phi Phi islands comparing to Phuket. Do 1 day at the local islands (30 - 45 min boat ride) and 1 day at Phi Phi islands (2 - 2h15). I can recommend our dive center in Ao Nang, Kon-Tiki Krabi and you can contact them for many more details on info@kontiki-krabi.com (for your information I run Kon-Tiki Phuket)

You could also go to Phi Phi islands and do your diving from there. Contact Phi Phi Adventure Club, which I personally thinks gives the best service on the island.

Enjoy your holiday :)

Thanks MichaelWallentin! Any accommodation recommendations for Ao Nang? In the past, we have enjoyed staying at smaller mid to budget inns/resorts on the outskirts of the action. Also, any recommendations for 'do not miss' beaches/national parks on our free days?

Check out Koh Lanta too. Lanta to Phi Phi is a little over an hour's boat ride, plus from Lanta you can also dive Koh Ha (also an hour's boat ride), where there has been a whale shark for the last five days. Lanta is a beautiful, relaxed island and is also the best spot to dive Hin Daeng and Hin Muang - the jewels of Thailand's southern sites. Hin Daeng and Hin Muang have had manta sightings pretty much daily this season too. Check out Lanta Diver and Dive & Relax. For accommodation on Lanta, check Mook Lanta or Fruit Tree Lodge. I would do one day trip to Koh Ha, and one to Phi Phi...

Last edited:
I second Ao Nang but recommend Dan Sasse at Posiedon dive centre - have dived with Dan many times and have referred divers to him who have been more than happy. PDC have their own boat and Dan is very very good with newer divers to experienced divers - Poseidon Dive Center Scuba Diving Ao Nang Krabi Thailand

Acommodation wise I like Baan Habebee Chalets if you can book one they are absolutely delightful, but very much in demand as there are only 6 bungalows. Baan Habeebee Resort

The OP is asking for short distances to divesites. Ao Nang is hardly a good recommendation for that, neither is Phuket. Phi Phi would be the best location for that, but does require a ferry to the islands to begin with.

Thanks MichaelWallentin! Any accommodation recommendations for Ao Nang? In the past, we have enjoyed staying at smaller mid to budget inns/resorts on the outskirts of the action. Also, any recommendations for 'do not miss' beaches/national parks on our free days?

I normally stay at Ben's House, which is a 5 minutes walk to the beach or, at J Mansion opposite the Irish Rover. The owner, "Mr Big", is a great guy. J Mansion is cheaper and within short walking distance to restaurants, bars, beach and so on. Do a trip to the hot springs or visit the Tiger Temple on your day off. Both are well worth it.

Regarding Phi Phi, then it's true the dive sites are closer. Personally, I'm not a fan, as I find the whole island(s) way too crowded. I noticed that you wrote "relaxing/exploring the area" on your non-diving days. Go to Ao Nang :)

Thanks all for the input! After agonizing over it for two days, we decided on Ko Lanta and Dive and Relax. Still trying to figure out accommodation. We land in Krabi fairly early, visiting Ao Nang on the way to Ko Lanta is on the docket for day 1.

You won't regret going to Ko Lanta :)

Friendly tip: once you arrive at the port, consider renting a motor bike. Its much easier and cheaper to get around the island by bike. The food there (in any of the restaurants by the Saladan port) is absolutely fantastic.

For what its worth, my wife and I have dived with Phoenix Divers and would recommend them to anyone diving in Lanta. Look for Gesine, the absolutely charming co-owner of the op. She will take care of everything. Consider them a backup choice in case you change your mind.

Wish you fun and dive safely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom