November Folks! Who's Going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I was hoping to go in November but it seems that the flights are getting a bit exspensive. Doing searches on Travelocity/Orbitz its looking aroung $605/pp for a flight out of Killeen, Austin or Dallas. Then add the diving and hotel its going to get pretty pricey... as much as I would love to be on Coz, it looks like we might be doing a cruise since we can do it for about half the price.

Unless you veteran Coz divers have some insider deal secrets you would love to share. :)

Jeff

Unless your dates include the Thanksgiving holiday, there are definitely better prices available. Especially having the main hub of American Airlines in DFW as an option. Adding the hotel portion to a flight through Travelocity, Expedia or Orbitz will save you big time. FWIW, I've always done better with Expedia over the other two but it usually depends on what kind of discounts they are offering. Recently though, packaging through the airline directly has paid off for us. With American, we managed an 8-night, AI on 11/12 for 2 adults, 1 minor out of Denver with cancel any time for any reason insurance for $2275 thought AA directly. Expedia was about $50 more, Orbitz was $500 for the exact same package! Mid-week departures will usually save you also. While the airfare portion is higher than I've ever seen the hotel portion is quite small. Might give Apple Vacations or FunJet a try... they may do chartered flights from where you're at.

Thanks guys! I wasnt aware of the promotion code and I was trying to choose the Fiesta Americana. I think those where the reasons I was getting the high prices.

Which hotels Do you guys recomend? It will be my wife and I. We both liked the Fiesta Americana the one time we have been there - and we want one where Scuba with Alison can pick us up! Preferably on the beach or just a walk accross the street.

Which hotels Do you guys recomend? It will be my wife and I. We both liked the Fiesta Americana the one time we have been there - and we want one where Scuba with Alison can pick us up! Preferably on the beach or just a walk accross the street.

We used to be big fans of Fiesta Americana. Within the last year, they have had some changes with management, staff and is now an all-inclusive only resort which is the reason for the price hike. I've not experience anything first-hand... but they fired our baby sitter in the process who was a 20+ year employee and feel somewhat scorned. If you need an AI, the Allegro is hard to beat price wise, although it also has it's disadvantages as an AI and being so far south. Hotel Cozumel would be another budget priced AI option that doesn't suffer from being being so remote. If you don't need an AI, then Blue Angel is hard to beat for price, location and vibe.

We have stayed at FA for years, but stopped when their prices went out of sight. When they went AI, the prices came down dramatically. We went back last April and had a wonderful time. The food was great ( the Italian restaurant was delightful). Some of our regulars were gone, but most were still there. We are going Nov 8-24 (15 days) flying out of LAX and our cost is $2565 for both of us.

I stayed at Fiesta Americana in April & July because we found a great deal on Orbitz. It was hands down the best all-inclusive food so far. I have previously stayed at the Palace, Reef Club, & Allegro. If you can find a deal at FA it's worth it. I am booked at the Regency Club due to another deal I found on line. Mess with dates on Orbitz by a day or so each way and see what you find.

No, doesnt have to be all inclusive. I stayed t the FA in July of 10'. Nice place good location but didnt care for the food.

Right now the Vista Del Mar is looking like the cheapest option. I kind of like the idea of being near the town as it will save cab fare. I just need a place that is reasonably nice since my wife is coming along, close to the beach and one of (or very near) one of Alison's pick up points.

Back to playing with the dates!

We are going Nov 8-24 (15 days) flying out of LAX and our cost is $2565 for both of us.
That is a hell of a deal! You must have cashed in some miles or something? When we were booking for November, it was about $200 more per person over the Allegro. They used to be priced on par with Hotel Cozumel and you could add on the AI for the week for ~$100 with a discount on Expedia or Travelocity. Now they're priced similarly with Iberostar or Occidental Grand. I agree, I thought it was about the best AI food and the location could not be beat... away from the crowds, short boat rides to the reefs but still easy to get to town.

I just need a place that is reasonably nice since my wife is coming along, close to the beach and one of (or very near) one of Alison's pick up points.
If you need a beach, you're going to have to head south... Allegro, Occidental Grand or Iberostar. That is partly the reason I'm stuck at the Allegro, again!

I get emails from a variety of vendors. This was through Cheap Caribbean and I booked it in June. I haven't seen a fare this low since then, so I'm happy with the bargain. I love getting off the boat at FA and going right to lunch and listening to everyone's "stories"

Thanks guys! I wasnt aware of the promotion code and I was trying to choose the Fiesta Americana. I think those where the reasons I was getting the high prices.

If you're wanting pick-up by (my girl!) Alison, I believe the furthest north she goes is the piers for El Cid/Casa del Mar/Park Royal. (You can always shoot her an e-mail to double check!) Orbitz air/hotel packages for the 3 run $680/$703/$857pp respectively, but Park Royal is an AI, so you get all your meals in that price. None (that I know of) have a 'real' beach. However if you want to head further south to where the beaches are, you can pick up Orbitz packages for Allegro AI & Sabor AI $745 & $771 respectively. FA is showing up at $904pp - highest out of the bunch I looked at, but we got in before the rates went up so much. I guess breaking FA down, with airfare running $502 pp, $804 (about $115 a night) for the hotel, food & drinks for the week isn't really bad, we've just been spoiled by some killer deals in the past. We'll be at FA and diving with Alison 11/16 - 23, so if you finds dates that overlap with ours, hopefully we'll see you on Alison's boat!!

We'll be at the VB diving with Scuba Mau Thanksgiving week. We were in Coz in March, and I was defiinitely chilly by the end of many of my dives wearing a full 3mm and beanie. I would have loved another layer, such as a vest to go under my suit. I expect the water to be much warmer in Nov. Am I right about that? If I was a little chilly in March, will I be fine in November?

Back
Top Bottom