Novae Products: 12W Dive LED Cree MC-E Dive Light 900 Lumens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can anyone report on the lens what is it made of, how stiff is it, will it flex? also novae on your talon 200 is the front lens plastic will it flex if pressed? I have ran into a few lights at gun show that look great till you look at the lens and it feels cheaper thin a mini mag.

Tactical HD or Novae? :idk:

This sure looks like the same light, same vendor, no?

Dive LED

Photic 900

Any reason to use one over the other?

I also note that there are two new "dive lights" listed in the "Diving Series" section on the Novae website (but not on the Tactical HID website): the "Coral 600" and "Coral 700" - both P7 lights. These look like the same unit, but the "600" uses 1 battery, while the "700" uses two - same light, one's just longer for the second battery. Both only rated to 50 meters though.

I'm shopping for two new lights. Will be used as our primary lights for tropical/recreational diving (no tech/cave/cold/murky conditions). Compact size is a premium as we will be hauling lots of gear across the world.

Anybody know anything about these new ones (versus the "Photic 900/"Dive LED")?

I've ordered two of the new ones to try them out a few days ago. Will know more once they get here. I use two Photic 900 as backup lights and they have been absolutely great so far. Had the bezel loosen but not flood on one of it's first dives, tightened it underwater and haven't had a problem since. I think the 900 would make a great primary light for the recreational diver. I've used them on night dives and inside wrecks quite a bit. I'm guessing the Coral 700 and 600 will have similar light output and might mount a little neater

"only rated to 50 meters...", I think that'll suffice for your tropical/recreational diving....no?

As far as who to buy them from....in another post Tactical HID said him and Adrian (Novae) are business partners and selling the lights is a joint venture. Which makes sense as they both used the same website, recently Novae has their own page. Personally my dollar goes to Adrian from Novae Products. His service has been excellent and he's been a great vendor, can't speak from experience on the other guy. I recommend Novae and their lights.

can anyone report on the lens what is it made of, how stiff is it, will it flex? also novae on your talon 200 is the front lens plastic will it flex if pressed? I have ran into a few lights at gun show that look great till you look at the lens and it feels cheaper thin a mini mag.

The lens on the dive lights as well as the Talon 200 are made from tempered glass, so it will not flex.

Novae 12W Dive LED Cree MC-E Dive Light 900 Lumens:

I know this thread is a YEAR OLD so the timing is perfect.

I am in the market for a Dive Light [primary] and a backup light. I saw this thread and was following along and then the thread posts just stopped.

The light looked great in all regards and I recall MANY divers had purchased them. Some divers posted feedback after several dives and all looked good.

What I am wondering is now AFTER 1 YEAR of use, HOW have the lights held up, and in what conditions are the lights in? Would you still NOW recommend the light for purchase after owning it and using it for one year? And if you have had ANY problems, what have they been.

This is the LIGHT that I am referring to:

Novae 12W Dive LED Cree MC-E Dive Light 900 Lumens

Thanks

Perfect timing for this thread to resurface.. I bought this light from Novae in June 2011. I've used it 5 times and it flooded on me just this past weekend. I've sent him a pm and email. I haven't gotten a response yet. So have anyone had any experience with him for this?

I figured out that the front bezel came loose during the dive and water leaked in through the front lens. I bought some loctite to fix it.. but the driver+led doesn't come on anymore. I suggest to anyone that bought the light unscrew the front bezel and apply some loctite and tighten it down. Otherwise than that, it's not a bad light.

I had big problems with these lights... Not flooding, but the emitter would turn brown and the light output would drop. I bought a pair of lights from Novae and both basically ate themselves as they were used. I exchanged them and the next pair did the same thing. Light output dropped to less than half what it was when the lights were new, after only a few uses. This was not a problem with the batteries, it was definitely defective emitters.

While I was not happy with the lights, Novae was very responsive to my emails and exchanged and finally refunded the lights with no hassle. I had to eat the cost to ship lights back, but that's typical for most warranty situations. Based on my past experience with the vendor I would not have hesitated to buy from them again, though this particular light is dead to me.

hmmmm 2 full weeks and absolutely no reply.... can't say it's the best customer service I've ever gotten. :shakehead:

just wish I had another one so I can try the loctite solution. Though with customer service like this, I'm not sure if I want to sink another 100$... :idk:

hmmmm 2 full weeks and absolutely no reply.... can't say it's the best customer service I've ever gotten. :shakehead:

just wish I had another one so I can try the loctite solution. Though with customer service like this, I'm not sure if I want to sink another 100$... :idk:

You should probably try sending another email. I have had good luck getting a response from them when sending email. I bought an SST-50, so I have no idea about the light you guys are talking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom