Northern Diver Neoprene Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all, looking to get some advice on getting a used drysuit. I would love to spring for an expensive trilam, but the thing is I want to go diving locally NOW, lol, not have to wait until money isn't so tight for the holidays. I have a line on a Northern Diver drysuit exactly like this one;

Divemaster Sport Drysuit

I know a lot of people steer clear from neopren ds, but I'm only looking to get this for local quarry diving when I get the itch. I highly doubt it would ever go anywhere unless I'm driving (maybe NC and Canada). I'd like something durable that will keep me warm. It seems from their website this ticks all the boxes?

Asking price is $350 and it's practically brand new. Said to have been dove 10 times.

I've searched on here for a few reviews, but I'm looking for advice on weather or not to get it for the type of diving I want to do with it. Is there any reason to steer clear? Is the weight increase needed for neoprene drysuits really as bad as some say it is? I mean, I dive a 7mm farmer john now and I'm @ 22 lbs all things considered. What do you think I'd be at with this drysuit (ballpark).

I count on you guys at SB to steer me in the right direction. I have never dove a drysuit, nor have I taken the class. To be honest, I think I could probably read the book and start in a pool and forgo the expensive class (I'm sure I'll catch hell for that). I have a friend that's an instructor who I'd probably dive with once or twice just to get the hang of it....

Thoughts?

If it fits and the zipper is good it looks like a good deal. I have both trilam and neoprene suits, I prefer the neoprene in every way except the back zip. This is probably going to use the same of less lead than your 7mm, depends on how much insulation you wear.

If it fits and the zipper is good it looks like a good deal. I have both trilam and neoprene suits, I prefer the neoprene in every way except the back zip. This is probably going to use the same of less lead than your 7mm, depends on how much insulation you wear.

Thanks! Why do you like neoprene over trilam? I would almost think (suit to suit) I would wear less weight because the farmer john is thicker and it's 2 piece. It looks like the drysuit is 6.5mm, but I don't know if the crushed ds is more buoyant.

The link showed it to be 5mm hyper compressed so I would guess less buoyant on the surface than your 7mm but you will be wearing some sort of undergarment all of the trapped air is buoyancy.

I prefer the neoprene suit for warmth and comfort, I don’t like a lot of squeeze but I can tolerate it better with the thicker soft folding neoprene, trilam tends to form sharp creases which causes me to get leg cramps.

You would probably be well served taking a drysuit course if you can find an instructor who isn’t into “my way is the only way” or tries to tell you trilam is the only thing to consider, they each have their advantages but the first one in this suit you’re contemplating is cost.

By the way trilam doesn’t have to be super expensive, look at Seaskin.

The link showed it to be 5mm hyper compressed so I would guess less buoyant on the surface than your 7mm but you will be wearing some sort of undergarment all of the trapped air is buoyancy.

I prefer the neoprene suit for warmth and comfort, I don’t like a lot of squeeze but I can tolerate it better with the thicker soft folding neoprene, trilam tends to form sharp creases which causes me to get leg cramps.

You would probably be well served taking a drysuit course if you can find an instructor who isn’t into “my way is the only way” or tries to tell you trilam is the only thing to consider, they each have their advantages but the first one in this suit you’re contemplating is cost.

By the way trilam doesn’t have to be super expensive, look at Seaskin.

I did look at Seaskin, will get there one day. It's just that after shipping and adding a few bells and whistles it'd be ~ 1k. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a ds, and even if I did it would be ~ 3 months before I got it.

When I go trilam, Seaskin is at the top of my list

So I recieved the drysuit. Looks brand new, in great shape. Inspected the zipper, all looks great, almost like it was never used. I'd be really surprised if it's ever been wet. Still has that new neoprene smell:)

It all fits well except the wrist seals, way too tight. I have pretty large hands and no matter what I do I can't get them to fit (at least without feeling like I might tear something). I've tried searching about trimming but everything that comes up is for latex seals. I have water bottles in there to see if I can stretch them, but what else can I do? Any tips or tricks? I don't want to cut if I don't have to.

I downloaded the manual, but even that's a little unclear if it can be cut. It states to stretch them.

Appreciate any ideas, thanks!!

Latex will 'relax' but not stretch a lot.
Neoprene will stretch and stay stretched. Go at it incrementally;. If you overdo it, no going back except by replacement.

Skin in, or skin out? Skin out needs to be tucked, which will make a difference.

Drysuits and other scuba items go through 'fads' like everything else. Don't much know why. We look like an expensive walking junk pile going to the water.
Having owned both styles over 25 years of diving it comes down to this over simplified observation: I like a shell suit better OUT of the water, I like a neoprene suit better IN the water.
All neoprene is NOT the same, which does make a difference.

Skin in, or skin out? Skin out needs to be tucked, which will make a difference.

I don't understand this? I'm very new to drysuits, I've read a lot, but apparently not enough:) My ds has wrist seals as seen here;
Neoprene Wrist Seal

We look like an expensive walking junk pile going to the water.

100% agreed. Scuba has never been something I think "looks" cool. At the very least, I don't think I look cool doing it....

One side is smooth neoprene, The other side probably has some fabric bonded to it. Smooth side needs to be against skin to seal. Water will wick on the fabric and stitched side. Latex is smooth on both sides and you simply make sure it's flat and of proper tension when on wrists and neck. It's stretchier, somewhat easier to get on and off, is less comfortable, colder (neck especially), and tends to not last as long. It's easier to replace.

Neck seal needs to be folded in about an inch+ to form a 'gasket' to seal well. (you do not fold latex). It's likely smooth 'skin' on both sides. When they are getting too old, stretched and floppy you start to have problems with 'burping' air when vertical. Unfortunately that's about when they start to get easier to get on and off.

Have you thought about drygloves? Have to say, I don’t know which ones will work with neoprene seals. I do know the Waterproof Ultima a and Kubi work with latex, but the neoprene is a new one for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom