Noob from Nebraska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanner01

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, my name is Rich, Im 30 and recently found out I LOVE diving. I am just starting out and get certified next month for the kiddy pool. I would like a few opinions on gear from the pros on here

The Essential Package Aqua Lung scuba_gear Scuba Packages

not a virus i swear, but I found this set that is pretty close to what i liked at my LDS. They wanted about 1500 though and they had analog gauges instead of a computer. What do you guys think? Will I be ripped off or is it a good buy for a beginner? Thanks in advance!

for those that don't wan to click the link it is a set for 929.00 with

PRO LT BC
Titan Regulator
ABS Octopus
ZOOP 2 gauge console

Welcome to Scubaboard...! :admingreet:

Shopping a local dive shop, then buying online is kinda rude - but that is too much of a price difference. Still, I can't find much info on the BC, and none on the Reg? Does that kit include a dive computer, and if so - what is it? It looks like dive gear, but who knows what it really does?

Welcome, Noob of Nebraska.

I can see a buoyancy compensator vest (it is an inflatable balloon in effect). It even comes with a little knife. It is perfectly ok for recreational diving.

Alternative 1: Some people want a "back inflation" type buoyancy compensator. Similar vest, but the air bladder on your back, not around you. You can't feel a squeeze as it fills, but the resulting diving position is better. Some people on the other hand, may like a traditional vest better as one can feel how it fills.

Alternative 2: Those who want to dive really deep, or inside wrecks and stuff, prefer a simple webbing harness and a metal plate on their back. The tank is attached to this metal plate and the air bladder is placed in between. This setup is called "wing and backplate" or BP/W. This solution can be recommended to anyone who wants to do some of the more challenging stuff in the future (inside wrecks, caves, deep diving, ...)

I can see two regulators (breathing valves). A black one and a yellow one. The yellow one is of nonstandard form. It is perfectly usable, I am sure, but I would prefer two identical regulators. Life is easier when you keep it simple.

The first stage (cylinder attachmen) is of yoke -type. The other alternative is DIN. Many prefer DIN, but yoke is the right choice if everyone else is using it too. This really depends on what is common in your area (unless you dive deep wrecks and stuff).

Everything else may be ok, but I would reconsider that yellow thing.

There is also a cylinder pressure gauge and a dive computer conveniently integrated into something that is called a "console". Some of us call that an anchor, though :wink: They sometimes tend to slip, hang and drag. Many divers (not all) want a computer on their wrist instead. A quick glance is then easy without the need to grab a console and bring it forth. I would get a basic nitrox capable dive computer and place it on my arm. Right arm when diving in a drysuit and carrying the light in the left hand. I would also purchase a very basic pressure gauge. A small round brass gauge. Life is easier when each thing (air, depth etc) have their own gauges and they are situated apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom