Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
We all know he is an X-Man.

And I believe he shares my same loathe for black socks and shorts.

Check me if I'm mistaken.

---
Ken

seavonj:
4. GUE allowing AG to leave is a huge step backwards for GUE, they just don't realize it yet. Of all my instructors over the years there have only been two that have mentioned anything about " thinking" one was Andrew and the other a commercial diver supervisor of mine in the NW who ever mentioned about constantly keep thinking.
Yep. IIRC..They are now done to two Tech 2 instructors (Dan MacKay and JJ) and AG was the one instructor that traveled the globe constantly taking the gospel with him :D sorry...I couldn't help myself :wink:

I wonder who will pick up the slack.

mweitz:
In my opinion if you are on the X-Scooter Demo team, and you were compensated for it, then you work for one of AG's entities in some capacity. Just like the two JW's. At some level they work for AG or one of his entities (or at least they did, I don't know their current level of involvement). I would like to point out that there is NOTHING wrong with it, but that it is valid information.

Mark,

I completely see where you're coming from with your questions about Scott. While not to throw Scott under the bus (and I'm sure he'll call soon if I've gone to far, which is not my intention), I feel it's necessary to identify affiliations with regards to a particular group, especially as it relates to the current politics surrounding AG. When someone is part of the X-Scooter Demo team and receives a discount on a scooter (lucky *******), it shows that they might be biased to one side or the other. By identifying that relationship upfront, it avoids all of the miscommunications and confusion that seem to be rampant these days.

As for Janeane and I, we're still definitely a part of AGs business interests.

My personal opinion on the current topic is that it doesn't matter which agency you train with. What matters is that the team is able to work together safely while having fun. The choice eventually is left up to the individual diver to decide if they feel safe diving with someone.

The catch is that there's a big difference in training standards between agencies, and that will definitely affect your decision on who to dive with. The nice thing about GUE trained divers is that GUE has done a phenomenal job insuring that their students receive the same instruction. Which in turn makes diving with other GUE students rather seamless.

I am a bit concerned about NAUI Tech in general because I don't feel they will enforce such a strict teaching standard as GUE. It's my understanding that they're a bit more relaxed on their standards, and give many of their instructors latitude to make changes. With NAUI, it seems like the instructors will determine the teaching standard they live by, and that means a NAUI class in Florida may not be the same NAUI class taught in Washington. This is definitely a concern with regards to the quality of the training you would receive from NAUI. Where as with GUE, you know what you'll get going in.

With that said, I'll be taking the NAUI Trimix class (i.e. Tech 1) the first part of next year, and will let you know how it goes. It also brings the conversation back to a personal level with regards to us. You've dove with me on several dives over the past year or two, and know what kind of diver I am. I'd definitely be up for a couple of test dives once I've made it to your training level. If nothing else, it would give you a first hand chance to see the skills taught by 5thd-X to their students, and would give you a chance to evaluate one agency trained diver against another.

In the end though, I still feel it's a personal choice on who you decide to dive with, and it becomes even more important once you go beyond recreational limits.

~ Jason

Most of the things you state below have already been addressed in the thread, so I don't see a whole lot of reason to recap them. If you reread it carefully you will see the point I'm trying to make.

This is intended to be a "what if" type of discussion. I see some things in a negative light, based on some of MY experiences, I am actually glad that you pointed out a couple of positive possibilities. Maybe having AG in a different agency will make GUE and NAUI all that much better. A little competition never hurt anyone. That would be a great outcome for everyone.

Darkpup made his post while I was typing this. A lot of what he said I consider to be "understood" by GUE trained divers, so I didn't spell it out.

James, let me know when you are going to be in town and we can have a couple of beers and yell at each other for a couple of hours, then maybe move on.
04.gif

Mark

seavonj:
1. GUE is a training Agency, it trains in the DIR methods of diving, GUE does not have a copyright on DIR methods. I'm not sure how folks feel about non GUE trained divers. I have always tried to keep an open mind, learning should never stop, diving is a new activity to human kind only being really in existance for the past few hundred years, of these only about 60 have been in a recreational. The evolution of diving will continue to happen, GUE is not the final word in diving as some of you suggest.

2. Will GUE divers be allowed to dive with NAUI trained divers?? If GUE has a problem with such an activity they are on a fast track to self destruction, I would rather dive with some open water divers than dive with a few of you GUE so called Tech divers.

3. Do you think the system will morph away from other training agencies? I don't think so, I think if anything they will learn from each other and use the better methods to their advantage and advancement in procedures.

4. GUE allowing AG to leave is a huge step backwards for GUE, they just don't realize it yet. Of all my instructors over the years there have only been two that have mentioned anything about " thinking" one was Andrew and the other a commercial diver supervisor of mine in the NW who ever mentioned about constantly keep thinking.

For someone who wants to keep things flame free you certainly aren't doing a good job at it!

JeffG:
Yep. IIRC..They are now done to two Tech 2 instructors (Dan MacKay and JJ) and AG was the one instructor that traveled the globe constantly taking the gospel with him :D sorry...I couldn't help myself :wink:

I wonder who will pick up the slack.

Yes, but on a local mailing list here in the Bay Area one of the members (a top member and a staunch GI follower) called Dan MacKay a stroke. Where is that leading to?

Times they are a changing.

-Chris

CALI68:
Yes, but on a local mailing list here in the Bay Area one of the members (a top member and a staunch GI follower) called Dan MacKay a stroke. Where is that leading to?

Times they are a changing.

-Chris
Actually, Dan was getting thrown under the Bus on the Gavin Scooter list, but was saved by George. (It was all blamed on AG)

So he is safe.................for now :wink:

Well there is a silver lining in all this for me personally. I hang with a group of Naui instructors who have tended to be a bit dismayed by my "cult" affiliation in GUE. What will the say now?

Good luck to both groups although my classes will be thru 5th.

Your ex Kool-Aid drinker

JeffG:
Actually, Dan was getting thrown under the Bus on the Gavin Scooter list, but was saved by George. (It was all blamed on AG)

So he is safe.................for now :wink:

Oh ok. I thought it was pretty outrageous when I read it. I have always heard he's an awesome instructor.

-Chris

CALI68:
Oh ok. I thought it was pretty outrageous when I read it. I have always heard he's an awesome instructor.

-Chris
Yes, he is a very good instructor. Different style than AG, but still good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom