Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think AG has an ideal opportunity to start fresh. All 'DIR' divers obviously subscribe to the philosophy of DIR, but most I know feel we could do without the politics and ' boys in a sandbox' mentality we so often see coming with it. So in my , not so humble, opinion AG has an ideal opportunity to take the DIR approach and make it 'virgin' again. Leave behind the politics, change the name (Doing It Right is a bit of an arrogant statement in itself) and just teach a system that make sense to a large number of divers. The costs can also be lowered as a result of joining forces with a large agency, and this will lead to more dive training conducted, which in turn leads to more divers trained in 'DIR'.

I think it can be a good break and could be the start of a brand new world..(if it is handled right)

My $1

Uh, OK, so you work for AG.

Thanks for the clarification.

Mark

boomx5:

hoosier:
I don't think so. Yes, DIR divers are more likekly dive with only DIR divers. I don't say "CAN'T", but they won't..... Maybe, you are the same due to DIR like-minded.

Sure, nobody can't say what you should do because it is totally your decision, but most non DIR divers have the same feeling about that matter.

I've read this response to Soggy's quote at least 10 times, and each time I read it, its like I'm on a roller coaster. There are so many twists and turns, and it seems to go on forever - but its pretty short, doesn't really go anywhere and ends up where it originally started.

I just read it again and still don't understand it.

Soggy is right. Its absurd to think DIR divers "won't" or "can't" dive with non-DIR divers. If you're a competent, safe, aware diver - its all good. If you're an idiot we find someone else to dive with. Regardless of the agency you were trained with.

---
Ken

edit: I'm dropping in Soggy's quote - as I think its spot-on.

soggy:
BTW, the idea that DIR divers cannot dive with non-GUE people is absurd. I am very picky about who I dive with, and all my buddies are like-minded and some, but not all of us are GUE trained. Being on the same page is what is important, not what agency did your training.

Ken,

The whole point of the system (as you know) is to have everyone on the same page. As different agencies start teaching the system, there will be more and more differences. Just as there were morphs here on the West Coast. At least when you dived with a GUE trained diver you pretty much know what to expect. A couple of quick questions and you were set to go. Who was your instructor, OK, probably won't tuck your light cord when clipped, but we are good to go.

Mark

hoosier:
I don't know AG personally. I don't know what kind of politics, including the scooter war, GUE has right now. Most non-DIR divers don't care.... But, based on the rumor that he can move to NAUI, if it will be ture story, it is so funny to hear it because if then, now what?... NAUI is the emergency shelter or flunk agency.... He must have been one of core members who have a exclusive-mindedness to other agencies and its teaching curriculum.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here ... but ... there isn't that much difference between what NAUI Tech teaches and what DIR teaches. Hasn't been for some time, in fact. If a GUE instructor decides to leave that organization and cross over to another, NAUI seems to be the logical choice due to the similarities in the two programs.

As to the politics ... most DIR divers don't care either. We prefer to focus on diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Meng_Tze:
Leave behind the politics, change the name (Doing It Right is a bit of an arrogant statement in itself) and just teach a system that make sense to a large number of divers. I think it can be a good break and could be the start of a brand new world..(if it is handled right)

I agree.

mweitz:
Ken,

The whole point of the system (as you know) is to have everyone on the same page. As different agencies start teaching the system, there will be more and more differences. Just as there were morphs here on the West Coast. At least when you dived with a GUE trained diver you pretty much know what to expect. A couple of quick questions and you were set to go. Who was your instructor, OK, probably won't tuck your light cord when clipped, but we are good to go.

Mark

By "the system" are you referring to the gear configuration? With the emphasis in your reply and the examples in your reply it seems like you're making a gear reference in "the system", which as you know is one of the smallest pieces of the DIR holistic dive approach - but it (gear) is the most visible so it, unfortunately, draws the most attention.

I was referring (as was Soggy, if you'll grant me latitude) to safe, aware, skilled divers and not divers using a specific gear configuraton.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
By "the system" are you referring to the gear configuration?
The "system" can encompass procedural issues as well. As the diving gets more complicated, the procedural issues become more important. (As an example think of when there is a Gas change due to deco....this is the step that gets its most victims)

Obviously, as the diving gets more complicated, your selection of teammates gets more limited as you need to be closer to the same page than on a 20ft reef dive. Additionally, regardless of what certification card someone has, it is not prudent to jump into an overhead situation with a teammate you have not been in the water with before, so issues like gas switching protocols should be sorted out long before you end up on a technical dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom