Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26:
........but who was I to know that someone would take it in such a way to call me an ego driven prick..........

For what its worth, I think that you might have misinterpreted what he was saying. I think it is a language difference issue. He referred to "ego-prick". I took this to mean something that made him feel that his ego was taking a beating because of the attitudes of others.....i.e. pricking his ego, not that you were pricks or necessarily that he thought you had ego problems.

At least that was my take on it. Might I just say that you were very restrained in your post if you believed that he was calling you a prick with a big ego.

Back on topic... I will watch with interest the diversification of 'DIR' style training. I am not DIR, rather hogarthian, but can understand concerns about standards diverging.
Seems to me that everyone being trained in a uniform way, and being on the same page in all aspects of diving (gear, procedures, aims, training, fitness etc..) seems to be the major component of DIR training. Without that uniformity in training, surely it will lose something along the way?

I hope that these new developments end up with more divers being trained in hogarthian/DIR fashion than would have been otherwise. Seems to me like the people who would take DIR training will probably still go through GUE. I think Naui may well get the interest of divers who are intereted in DIR but have been put off by some of the politics and/or perceived "exclusivity" (please note I only said perceived)

Thats my take on things anyway

Xman:
Back on topic... I will watch with interest the diversification of 'DIR' style training. I am not DIR, rather hogarthian, but can understand concerns about standards diverging.

I apply the DIR toolset to recreational diving. Its all good and has changed the way I dive.

As others have said, the stakes are much lower in my type of diving, and any nuance or divergence in training impact me (and my buddy selection) much differently than you trimix doria abyss stage schlepping caving types.

That said, I'm curious at just HOW divergent you guys think things will get? I mean, are we talking light cord in or out (as referenced earlier) or something as dramatic as table and gas switching that are wildly different and conflicting?

Just curious what the hoo-hah is if things aren't going to really be that different, or the differences really won't matter that much. I mean, at the end of the day, if the differences don't matter much in the real world, its just marketing.

---
Ken

Uh, that is the question Ken. I can open an agency and teach "DIR" and teach whatever I want. I can then certify you as a "DIR Diver" or give you a DIR OW card. At least now you have GI and JJ to sort of settle "what is and what isn't DIR".

Mark

Mo2vation:
I apply the DIR toolset to recreational diving. Its all good and has changed the way I dive.

As others have said, the stakes are much lower in my type of diving, and any nuance or divergence in training impact me (and my buddy selection) much differently than you trimix doria abyss diving types.

That said, I'm curious at just HOW divergent you guys think things will get? I mean, are we talking light cord in or out (as referenced earlier) or something as dramatic as table and gas switching that are wildly different and conflicting?

Just curious what the hoo-hah is if things aren't going to really be that different, or the differences really won't matter that much.

---
Ken

mweitz:
At least now you have GI and JJ to sort of settle "what is and what isn't DIR".

Mark
People do love their lists...

You do know that George is not always right...right?

CALI68:
Yes, but on a local mailing list here in the Bay Area one of the members (a top member and a staunch GI follower) called Dan MacKay a stroke.

JeffG:
Actually, Dan was getting thrown under the Bus on the Gavin Scooter list, but was saved by George. (It was all blamed on AG)

So he is safe.................for now
03.gif

Now people are going after Dan?

Je$us H Chr|st on a popsicle stick.....People really need to take a step back and have a serious reality check.

Derek S:
Now people are going after Dan?

Je$us H Chr|st on a popsicle stick.....People really need to take a step back and have a serious reality check.
Thats what happens when a cuff dump sneaks its way into GUE material. :wink:

Just before AG finished up with GUE, I asked him his opinion about my cuff dump. His growling almost made me fall on the floor laughing.

No one's going after Dan as far as I can tell. Some internet idiots are attacking GUE's apparent inconsistency by pointing out two minor gear config details illustrated in Dan's book that do not agree with what GI3/JJ have pointed out recently.

Derek, get on the gavinscooters list already so you can stay up to date :wink:

jonnythan:
Derek, get on the gavinscooters list already so you can stay up to date :wink:

I have been, for over 6 months, but the fun got to be too much at times.

i am gue trained but i think that any other organization can benefit from what gue ORIGINALLY founded. gue doesnt own these techniques and if other agencies want to adopt or even modify then so be it. will i like it? hell no but its beyond my control.

What? WHAT???? WHAT??????

Yeah, I know. But listening to GI, AG, JJ, or anyone with these guys experiences can teach us bunches.

Mark
JeffG:
People do love their lists...

You do know that George is not always right...right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom